Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2016, 06:48   #1

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37
Looking for experienced crew in St. Pete area

We have a Beneteau 461 that we have owned for a year now. We have been going through all her systems and upgrading/fixing everything that needs fixed. We have taken her to Key West 3 times and to Cuba once, all with a captain. We have taken ASA 101, 103, 104 and 106 but still don't feel qualified to go out alone. We are healthy, happy, fit in our 60's and want to have sailing adventures. We are looking for some salty sailors to go along with us for some one week sails to Key West and back to help us build up time on water and sharpen our sailing skills. We are not looking for novices that want to learn how to sail. We will pay for food, slips, etc. Anyone out there want to go sailing with us?
Old 30-05-2016, 12:50   #2

Re: Looking for experienced crew in St. Pete area

Hi: I (George) am replying for myself and a former colleague, Andy. We both live in southern Pasco County. Andy owned a Hunter 28 for 4 years, living aboard for 2; a CSY 33 for 7 years, living aboard for 4; and an Irwin 28 for 5 years.
Additionally, he and others chartered a bareboat and competed in the St. Pete to Isla Mujeres race a few yeas ago. He has also chartered a bareboat in the BVI.
I have less experience, though I've lived in Florida (including Miami) almost my entire life and grew up around boats and have owned two powerboats in the past. I crewed with Andy and his wife on a weekend sail from Crystal River to Cedar Key and for six years in a row I was a crew member aboard a 65-foot ketch, a weeklong bareboat charter, Miami to the Bahamas. Shared crew duties included night watch, meal prep/galley cleanup, tending sails, lines, etc. For the last 3 of those 6 years I was the charterer, provisioning the boat and recruiting the 16 other crew members for the trips thru the Berry islands and, some years, to Nassau. Over the years, I have operated powerboats in the Crystal River area, as well as Sanibel/Captiva and on Florida lakes.
I just turned 67, Andy is 62; both nonsmokers in good health and recently retired, thus a very open schedule. Can provide references. I am a retired newspaper reporter, Andy a retired newspaper photographer. We would welcome an opportunity to come to Pinellas and meet with you.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:21   #3

Hi,

I sent you a PM. I have sailed several boats like yours and will be glad to send complete resume via e-mail if interested.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 12-07-2016, 14:13   #4

I've sailed solo to Cuba on my 33 ft Watkins 8+ times since 2001. I'm in Clearwater just north of you. Call me: Four Four Two, Nine Three One One. No drugs. Review my post by searching "Genaro".
Old 12-07-2016, 14:32   #5

Do you have a boat? I've sailed solo to Cuba 8+ times since 2001 and would like to return ... but I've sold my 33 ft Watkins and now crew for others. I'm in Clearwater (when I'm not in Cuba). My phone is Four Four Two, Nine Three One One. Review my post by searching: Genaro
Old 12-07-2016, 18:35   #6

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

Thanks for all the great responses! We have met some sailors that we are happy sailing with for now. Planning a trip to BVIs in mid-November, have enough crew for now, if that changes will post another request for crew.

Tags
crew, enc