Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 18:05   #1

Smile Looking for an Adventure

Hi! I'm a 21 year old guy who wishes to have an adventure at sea. Although I have no experience when it comes to sailing I know I can learn and I'm willing to do so with intense dedication. I'm a no drinker no smoker and I'm a fun person to spend time with. I'm easy going and patient, sports are my life and I love to do anything when it involves physical work.

Any questions private message me here or at jprazmo(at)hotmail(dot)com
Old 23-03-2013, 18:13   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Looking for an Adventure

Is it something in the water or just spring?

This is the third such request today.
Old 23-03-2013, 18:31   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I have a feeling that many would-be sailors want to get away from it all. Leaving everything behind and starting a new life, as if it cannot get any worst in their mind. Unfortunately, being a crew hoping to sail the seven seas is complicated. Taking an unknown person to crew your boat involves great risks, not to mention the possible liabilities. Well meaning would-be sailors, should consider learning a bit about boat handling, seamanship, troubleshooting and gain some local hands-on sailing experience. Just offering to be an "extra hand" on deck will not suffice. You need to demonstrate to a boat owner looking for a crew, that you have acquired enough knowledge and have references to back you up! Mauritz
Old 24-03-2013, 13:28   #4

Although it does seem as many people want to leave everything behind and become people of the sea, the idea can't be generalized. Different people have different reasons to do such trips and be part of an adventure that couldn't be achieved in any other way. I believe such is the purpose of this forum, get to know people and sail out together (experienced or not). It's impossible to wake up one morning and have full sailing skills and maybe this is the way people would like to learn.

I do understand lots of consideration comes when people chose who to let on their boat or not but such risks can be reduced by conversation, be it email, private messages here or even arrange a skype conversation sometime.

Hope this reply doesn't come out as a rant, I'm only expressing my point of view about the forum objectives and how it should be used to meet people and share a common hobby.