Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 07:13   #1

Long-term cruising/circumnavigation.

Hey cruisers,

I will first explain my situation: I'm 20 years old. I did my High School 2,5 years ago and bought a boat at the same time.

I lived aboard for about 1,5 years and cruised from the German coast to Denmark, Norway and Sweden with some friends and partly alone. One of the best times of my life. But I realized two things:

1. I like this life, but I don't like it alone!
2. My old 33ft 1976 Steelvessel needs too much maintenance. I can't handle it anymore, at least not alone.
3. I don't like the cold, rainy coast's of the European north.

After that realization I sold the boat as fast as I could. I think some of you might know that feeling when a former so loved boat is suddenly nothing more than a millstone around your neck. I am still thanking god that I found a buyer in only 3 months.

After the boat was sold I moved back to my home region and began to study cultural geography. And now, I sit in front of my computer realizing that I'm absolutely NOT happy doing what I do. When I look at myself I see that I'm not okay, at least not so okay I used to be. They say boating keeps you young and I today feel like a old man.
The main problem I have here on the hard might be the attitude most people in my daily life have. I study a subject that is not a very common one but still most students are just trying to get an A and not to learn something for themselves or just learn something interesting. They all have planed their life for the next 10-15, or even 50 years. I'm not like that. Besides I just miss the very down-to-earth life I used to live.

I hope this post isn't to deep for this forum, but I think you might understand.

So I feel that I have to change something. Why should I put up with that another 2,5 years just to get a degree that isn't worth anything without studying further? Why put up with a situation when you are not happy with it?

What instantly pops in my mind is (of course) cruising. But I'm smarter now. I've made my bunch of mistakes and I'm not willing to do them again. That's why I will not (again) set my foot on a boat alone. It would go terrible wrong. I'm just a person who need someone to be with.

That's why I opened this thread in the crew section. My first priority is to find someone to cruise with. Than come's the boat and all the other stuff. But I'm not going to give everything here up without someone that has the same thing's in mind. And no guy's I don't talk about man, of course I mean a woman. It's not even talking fully sexual, I just work better with women and in my opinion only couples can live on a small boat for a long time.

So what do I have in mind exactly?

Long term cruising! I don't say it has to be a circumnavigation, but I have nothing in mind thats wrong with the idea of a circumnavigation. It's just not a must have. If I talk about long term cruising I mean LONG, at least two or three years (or longer!?). I'm not the racing kind of guy, the best time in cruising is the time at anchor. So no rush!

Ship-wise I was thinking nothing too old. A former charter boat, not older than 10 years in the 33-37ft area. I think when a boat has suffered over some hundred charter guest it will be good enough for me for some cruising years. That's what I alone could afford.

And while we're on the subject of finances. I have a monthly income of about 1500EUR/1900USD, that is enough to cruise very nice from and have a healthy little reserve for a emergency. The problem is that I do not have that much money upfront to buy a boat. I think 50.000EUR max, about 63.000USD are manageable. I think for that kind of money I can get a very nice ship + equipment (nothing fancy) in the area I have in mind. If someone has interest, a similar or at least some kind of financial basis would be nice.

So that all being said I hope some of you have something to say. And please, I checked about 4 times for misspellings, English is just my second language, don't stone me to death.

Ciao,
Timo

EDIT: Jesus H. Christ is my post long.
Old 18-06-2012, 00:49   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Re: Long-term cruising/circumnavigation.

Perhaps you should join the social group here on CF called SSSSM - Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mate. There are many of us sailors here who would prefer not to sail alone and are hoping to find that compatible person to sail with.
This forum is not the right place, it is for finding skilled crew for a specific voyage you have planned.
Here for posting a singles ad: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates
Here for the thread to gossip and flirt: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eux-62608.html

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 18-06-2012, 01:06   #3

Hey flysci,
thank's for the tipp! I will check it out!
Old 18-06-2012, 03:55   #4

Boat: Ohlson 38

Timo, per chance do you have a brother who works for a bank in Nigeria? Would you tell him that I'm still waiting?
Old 18-06-2012, 05:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Timo, per chance do you have a brother who works for a bank in Nigeria? Would you tell him that I'm still waiting?
What the heck? Either my English is really bad or you just don't believe me, so what is it? Just say it out loud
Old 18-06-2012, 05:34   #6

Hmm, seems like my reply just vanished. Virginia_boy, either my english is very bad or you don't believe me. So what is it? Just say it out load
Old 18-06-2012, 05:58   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

LOL.... Maybe you should put a crew wanted ad here, w/ $63000.00 and an income of $1900.00 a month, you can afford to buy a lot of sailboat 40' and under... Plus U could almost afford to hire a female crew.... Ha Ha.. Where do you plan to start from?? That is where u buy your boat... I suggest S. Florida or Martinique... Sailboats are cheap.. also on the coast of Belize.... Just hanging around the boatyards and getting your boat shipshape/outfitted.. you will find someone to come along... I remember my days like that w/ a small boat and friends... Fond memories... Have fun..!!!
Old 18-06-2012, 06:11   #8

Haha captsam, no I do not hire me a female crew!
Maybe it's diffrent in Martinique or S. Florida, but in Germany and Scandinavia I didn't met that much cruisers/people who where open to cruise for a longer time. Could be a attitude problem, maybe you guys across the big sea are just a bit different. We europeans can't even exist without a proper health insurance Everything planned out here..
Where I start from is really not important, anywhere near water.

Tags
circumnavigation, long term cruising