Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 03:31   #1

Long Med Cruise

I'm preparing a long trip through the Med for 2012 starting April/May ending October/November.
The yacht is an Hanse 342 currently in Lisbon, Portugal.

The yacht expenses will be supported by myself. Your personal expenses (trips, food, etc) will be supported by yourself.

In this trip we'll be calling the usual Med places like the south of Spain, the Balearic islands, Sardinia, Malta and the Greek islands (some of them).
At these places we'll be resting, scuba diving, hill walking, sun basking, all the usual activities .
The total mileage for the cruise should be 5000 miles plus.

If you are willing to make a 6 month or 2/3 months commitment for this let me know.

Any experience will do. Commitment and enthusiasm is the important requirement.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: long Med cruise

5000 miles in 6 months or 833 miles a month or almost 28 miles a day. Day in day out. Assuming a boat speed of 7 knots that is four hours of sailing a day. Doesn't leave that much time for bad weather, scuba diving, etc. Sometimes less is more.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 09-11-2011, 04:58   #3

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Would have to agree with Charlie that it's a lot of miles in that time if you do actually want to stop and smell the coffee on the way. Plus you're rushing through a lot of good places.

As a suggestion, perhaps pick two or three small cruising grounds to potter about (eg southern Sardinia) on your way to Greece, and do some long passages in between, rather than thinking you can stop everywhere along the way. Alternatively, take more than one season in the Med! Look at our blog for numerous western med spots (exc the Balearics, and after Gibraltar).

Also in April, off Lisbon you might encounter some foul weather! Similarly in the eastern Med in November, so you may well lose some travel time then.

Finally, to tempt crew, it might be useful to say a little more about you - eg experience, your aspirations for the cruise and so on.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: long Med cruise

What RG said.... you'd do better to divide it in half....
W Med one year and E Med the next...
I could spend 6mths just enjoying the Balearic's.... and the Greek Isles... no can say...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:24   #5

We have here a landlubber that bought a calculator
What about doing the calculations like this?
5000 miles in 6 months, so 833 miles per month. At 5knots it gives 166 hours which are 7 days! Where is the surprise of doing 7 days of sailing in a month? One does 200 miles which is 2/3 days, then 3 days at a harbor, then 100 miles taking 1 day, etc… see? And if it is bad weather one waits for the next day… or any other day. And then it’s all the way back without much stopping. And even if one doesn’t do 5000 miles, one does 4000 or 3000, which is more and better than the 0 miles that you have done writing that speech.
In this sailing plan there is plenty of time for sun basking, scuba diving, hill walking and even meeting your wife, mother, sisters, daughters, aunts the all lot …
I asked for a crew member not a politician...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: long Med cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAVG View Post
5000 miles in 6 months, so 833 miles per month. At 5knots it gives 166 hours which are 7 days! Where is the surprise of doing 7 days of sailing in a month? One does 200 miles which is 2/3 days, then 3 days at a harbor, then 100 miles taking 1 day, etc… see? And if it is bad weather one waits for the next day… or any other day. And then it’s all the way back without much stopping. And even if one doesn’t do 5000 miles, one does 4000 or 3000, which is more and better than the 0 miles that you have done writing that speech.
In this sailing plan there is plenty of time for sun basking, scuba diving, hill walking and even meeting your wife, mother, sisters, daughters, aunts the all lot …
ROFL.... EAVG... Welcome to CF....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34   #7

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Not interested in the crew position but found this thread amusing. 5000 miles in 6 months. Not a problem. At all.

Judy
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44   #8

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
I'm preparing a long trip through the Med for 2012 starting April/May ending October/November.
The yacht is an Hanse 342 currently in Lisbon, Portugal.

The yacht expenses will be supported by myself. Your personal expenses (trips, food, etc) will be supported by yourself.

In this trip we'll be calling the usual Med places like the south of Spain, the Balearic islands, Sardinia, Malta and the Greek islands (some of them).
At these places we'll be resting, scuba diving, hill walking, sun basking, all the usual activities .
The total mileage for the cruise should be 5000 miles plus.

If you are willing to make a 6 month or 2/3 months commitment for this let me know.

Any experience will do. Commitment and enthusiasm is the important requirement.
For non EU citizens how do you propose to get around the Schengen 90/180 rule?

All of the places you list are Schengen signatories and by your calculations allowing 7 days per month at sea you will be in the Schengen area for 138 days in a 180 day period.

I am not able to take up your offer but it could be worth explaining so non EU citizens who could be interested know.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:58   #9

Re: Long Med Cruise

hei,

this trip sounds very interesting...
If you'd like to take somebody who is a complete beginner but with a huge will to learn we can talk more.

As i will charter a 50' cat in a few weeks (crewed) i will know a few basics, but that's it.

other skills are plentiful:
excellent italian cooking
english, german, spanish and italian in communication
good physical shape
very respectful but still outgoing personality
and lots more

I would/could come with you the first 2-3 months
depending on real-life costs

let me know

Olli
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
For non EU citizens how do you propose to get around the Schengen 90/180 rule?

All of the places you list are Schengen signatories and by your calculations allowing 7 days per month at sea you will be in the Schengen area for 138 days in a 180 day period.

I am not able to take up your offer but it could be worth explaining so non EU citizens who could be interested know.

Avery good point that I completely forgot about
In a way I thought that the people on the other side of the pond could go anywhere, anytime.

> you will be in the Schengen area for 138 days in a 180 day period.
could you explain this 138?
So does it only count when one is in land, once at sea freedom applies?
That's good I could end up doing 10000 miles instead! hooray for silly Schengen. It looks something from China anyway!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20   #11

Quote:
Avery good point that I completely forgot about
In a way I thought that the people on the other side of the pond could go anywhere, anytime.

you state six months so six weeks sailing (42 days) so 138 days on land

So does it only count when one is in land, once at sea freedom applies?I have read the Schengen rules many times and as I understand when you cross frontiers by land there is no check, but when you leave a Schengen country by sea or air your time stops and counts again when you re.enter another Schengen country. I could be wrong as it is written in such a way as to totally confuse those not involved in writing laws
That's good I could end up doing 10000 miles instead! hooray for silly Schengen. It looks something from China anyway!
Good luck with finding a crew.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
classic..... one to remember

Quote:
So does it only count when one is in land, once at sea freedom applies?
That's good I could end up doing 10000 miles instead! hooray for silly Schengen. It looks something from China anyway
Technically days at sea outside territorial waters are not counted, in practice unless you check into a non-Schengen country it can be hard to prove it as you have no intercountry EU stamps in your passport to show you left.

The standard Schengen Visa is 90 days in any 180 day period.Its not extendable, Schengen is a small town in Luxembourg where the treaty was signed. US citizens have a wavier so that they do not have to apply for the visa in advance, its stamped into their passport on their arrival at the first Schengen country.

Dave
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31   #13

The 90/180 rule applies to all the citizens of countries that are exempt from getting a visa prior to arrival with the one exception of New Zealand citizens who can spend up to 3 months in each Schengen country that NZ has a bilateral agreement with irrespective of how long that person has spent in the Schengen zone. This covers most of the countries who are signatories to the Schengen agreement.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:06   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
If your ego is so fragile that it can't take a suggestion that slowing down is a good way to go I am sorry for you. You seem to throw out insults as well as you run a calculator 5000 is not impossible in six months when I raced to Hawaii in the Transpac we managed to cover the 2200 miles in about 12 days on a 40' boat. The Med has a tiny bit more to see then the beautiful tradewind sailing of the Pacific. I have a little experience cruising including Mexico to Australia, Vancouver Island to Cabo San Lucas and back to San Diego, and a single season in the Med. What I have found the more I cruise is -- you get to see more when you go slow and have time to linger. Roaring Girl has a wonderful website and has personally given me lots of great information on places to stay and comfortable time frames in the Med. Last year in Italy we ended up doing a grand total of 80 nm by boat and had a wonderful time. Sometimes we would travel 3nm and end up in a town that had a completely different feel then the town where we had been in the previous night. I guess that makes me a landlubber. But have a nice trip racing thru the Med.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13   #15
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Here is just one small area to sail in- I came to the Med 5 years ago thinking I would be here 6 months and I have not been able to leave - this short video shows you a little of the weather at sea and sites you will see or not see on your trip thru the Med

Tags
cruise