Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 13:14   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Local Jacksonville Beaches Area

My wife and I just purchased a 1989 Catalina 30 and it is docked on the ICW in the Jacksonville, FL area. Ideally we would crew it ourselves, but unfortunately my wife has chronic pain issues and needs to be off-loaded when she hits her limit. Also, though I've completed bareboat charter and coastal navigation courses and chartered in the Caribbean, I've not done the deep dive into systems and this particular boat is well equipped, so someone familiar with Cat 30 systems and water makers, radar, solar/wind generators and so forth would be a god send. To use my piloting analogy, I'm fearful of shutting down the engine before the avionics master is off or making a gear up landing. Fortunately we DO have manuals for everything.
Old 17-05-2016, 07:31   #2

Re: Local Jacksonville Beaches Area

Retired Navy living in Charleston, SC. Former boat owner. Lots of sailing experience. Main to Keys, ICW, Bahamas, Virgins. Be happy to come down for weekend or two and help you get started on your adventures. Not available for extended cruising until fall. rsailorbob@yahoo.com.
Old 17-05-2016, 08:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ease into it and you will be fine, start off just playing with the toys at the dock, then just motor around a little while and pay someone to help you dock, pay for that until your sure you don't need it anymore, docking is the hard part, or I think it is anyway.
Just remember, you can't stall a boat, you can simply stop and take your time to think about your next move, Sailboats are SLOOOOOW and that is the appeal to me.
Buy towing insurance, you already know 95% of radio useage.
Just never, ever, not even once raise your voice to the Wife, make her very comfortable with the boat, make it her comfortable place, her happy place or strive to. Start out on those windless Summer afternoons just barlely motoring around, letting her watch the Sunset, strive for a stress free experience, save the rail in the water sailing for later.
Stress and apprehension is a huge issue with seasickness, fatigue and I assume her pain issue
Take your cues from her, if she is uncomfortable, stop. There is tomorrow, no schedules on a boat
Trust me, happy Wife, happy Life. If she likes it, you will get to spend a LOT of time on the boat, if she doesn't, then you may not.
Old 17-05-2016, 09:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just never, ever, not even once raise your voice to the Wife
I went the other direction, quite consciously, and got criticized for my look, (dumb, naturally). She gets upset if I use a term she is unfamiliar with...
Old 19-05-2016, 05:08   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16

a64 pilot is EXACTLY right! I once a had a 55' long, 7' draft sailboat that my wife was fairly comfortable on. We moved aboard a big Irwin with a shallow draft keel, my wife was terrified. i have owned several big boats since trying to get her comfortable again!

SLOW and steady, ease in, the sunsets (and dolphins playing) is a great idea. Let her put her women's touches to the boat and make sure she feels the boat is OURS not YOURS!

I just moved from a big stable (slooooow) Gulfstar 37 on Lake Norman to a Catalina 38 on the Neuse river and have hopes of heading south this winter! Maybe we will see you in Jax as we are retired Navy and may use the base marina for awhile.

Good luck finding crew and we will have to look you up when (if) we get down that way! (ps, I am looking for crew on the Neuse if you are up in NC!)
Old 19-05-2016, 06:46   #6

She been a very knotty girl lately, practicing splicing. I made sure to put the boat in her name as well...

Tags
cal, jacksonville