Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 10:51   #1

LFC - Boston to Galveston Immediately

LFC from Boston to Galveston on a 33' Hunter Cheribini. Looking for 2, will be sailing with an experienced captain.

Will be looking to depart immediately out of Quincy Harbor.

Contact me with any questions.

Old 24-10-2015, 10:59   #2

Boat: Nonsuch U30
Re: LFC - Boston to Galveston Immediately

have you read the book "Two came back"?

Old 24-10-2015, 18:22   #3

No I have not, and I looked up the synopsis. To be clear, immediately does not mean tomorrow afternoon. It would be after the boat is provisioned, and a clear weather window is determined.
Old 25-10-2015, 05:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Reversethecurse.

Old 25-10-2015, 08:43   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reversethecurse View Post
No I have not, and I looked up the synopsis. To be clear, immediately does not mean tomorrow afternoon. It would be after the boat is provisioned, and a clear weather window is determined.
===

You are getting late in the season for the trip you are contemplating. We like to be in the Chesapeake by early October as the weather gets progressively colder and windier after that. Even the Carolinas are cold and windy in November. Many New Jersey and Chesapeake Bay marinas start closing down in November.
Old 25-10-2015, 10:44   #6

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Sounds like a wild ride. You one of the liveaboards Captains Cove just gave a weeks notice to vacate?

Sent from my N9130 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-10-2015, 07:02   #7

The boat is in Marina Bay. Hopefully it's not a wild ride, appreciate the input that has been provided so far.

Would like to hear from others that have made a journey this time of year if there is anyone that has done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
Sounds like a wild ride. You one of the liveaboards Captains Cove just gave a weeks notice to vacate?

Sent from my N9130 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-10-2015, 07:34   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reversethecurse View Post
The boat is in Marina Bay. Hopefully it's not a wild ride, appreciate the input that has been provided so far.

Would like to hear from others that have made a journey this time of year if there is anyone that has done it before.
===

I've made the trip a few times in late season conditions. Here's my advice in a nutshell: Be very careful with the New Jersey coast, there are only a few safe inlets; Expect cold, windy conditions until Georgia or northern Florida; Minimize your exposure to offshore conditions unless you have a really solid weather window; Expect minimal marina services until the mid to southern Chesapeake; Do not assume the Gulf of Mexico will be a slam dunk - the winter cold fronts can be very windy with big seas; Get good cruising guides for the Atlantic Intra Coastal Waterway and also for the Gulf Coast ICWs; Don't be driven by a schedule, wait for the weather windows.
Old 08-11-2015, 15:17   #9

Greetings!
Anthony Smith-Rodriguez here just finishing a season of organic farm work in upstate New York,and ready to head south for the winter. I'm looking to crew on a boat heading to the Caribbean within the next few weeks. I am looking for an unpaid position and am willing to contribute to a shared cost arrangement. I have maritime experience both in coastal cruising(around Puerto Rico, USVI and BVI), and as deckhand on a 200ft high speed passenger ferry(MV Athena). I am also a leather and canvas worker, and apprenticed at a marine canvas shop doing mostly boat covers, shades, upholstery and sail repair. I have a current US Passport, am fully bilingual(English/Spanish), able bodied and eager to contribute to any and all tasks required on board any type of vessel. I am currently in Westport, NY, right on Lake Champlain, and would be able to meet up with a boat at any location along the eastern seaboard, or in the Bahamas. I would be interested in either a cruise down the ICW or a straight crossing towards the Bahamas. I would be disembarking either in Puerto Rico(My homeport) or any of the surrounding islands(Dominican Republic, Vieques, Culebra, USVI or BVI). I'm ready to leave anytime after the 16th of November(sooner if required). Please feel free to contact me at antoinebags@gmai.com. I can make phone contact at a prearranged time, as I am in a signalless region of the Adirondacks. I appreciate your consideration in having me as part of your crew, and look forward to being back on deck.
Anthony Smith-Rodriguez

FB: Taller Caribe Rincon