Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 18:04   #1

Boat: CS 36 Traditional
Lake Ontario summer readying for NY-FL

Preparing Navita for likely Fall passage through New York State and down to Florida. The summer of 2016 will be spent in preparation with day sails and shakedown cruises on Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River.

Anticipated Launch: June 2016

I am friendly and patient as a skipper. Potential crew must be the same.

The boat is sturdy and presently undergoing repairs and upgrades.

Minimum requirements:
  • You have sailed before
  • You have experience docking and departing the dock. You can handle dock lines
  • You can share work duties: galley/cooking, interior and exterior cleaning, etc.
  • You understand, respect and honor skipper/crew protocol
  • You are responsible for your duties and willing to learn new skills
  • You are reasonably fit
  • You have weather gear">foul weather gear and other essentials

Preferred skills include:
  • Handle running rigging
  • Helmsmanship, maintain course using ship's compass
  • Principles of coastal navigation/read charts
  • Ability to stand night watch
  • Experience beyond minimum requirements/boat skipper or owner

References a plus.

No smoking. Alcohol OK in moderation once at anchor or dock.

In addition to the requirements above good company and good times are a must. There will be short sails to test skipper/crew compatibility.
Old 10-03-2016, 16:36   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Lake Ontario summer readying for NY-FL

For clarification - are you looking for crew for the whole project, or for any / all parts of it? I'm not sure the NY-FL trip would be feasilble for me, but I could possibly help with some of the shakedown over the summer.

I don't consider myself really experienced - at least compared to many of the folks here - but I have enough qualifications that charter companies will let me use their boats.
Old 10-03-2016, 17:22   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Please tell us something about Navita and yourself.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-03-2016, 06:37   #4

Boat: Dickerson Ketch 37'

Dear Captain of Navita:
Your trip sounds most interesting except the time of the year for traveling down the East Coast.
I have sailed the Great Lakes and the East Coast in my Bristol 40' yawl, Cal 27 and Dickerson 37' ketch, which I no longer have.
I would be most interested in joining with you on the New York canals on down to Florida.
I am able to handle most jobs on board from cooking to maintenance and watches without any trouble.
If you needed help prior to our departure, I would be more than willing to come to Sackets Harbor and give you a hand.
If you could provide a more definitive time line and possible cruse schedule, I would be more than happy to join with you on this adventure!
I can be reached at dkache@msn.com or 330-608-3948.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks! Dave
Old 12-03-2016, 16:22   #5

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

It might help if we knew more about your boat and the scheduled legs. Some questions that might help are;

-How many crew are you looking for?
-Do you want somebody to volunteer to go all the way to Florida from the St Lawrence, or do you just want help with canaling? Or something else?
-What's the size, age and design of the boat?
-What are the onboard accommodations like? Private cabins or open concept?
-The St Lawrence- NYC leg I think we can assume is via Oswego because you mention Lake Ontario, but then what? Outside? Canal to Chesapeake? Offshore?

I keep my boat on the St Lawrence too and I like adventures, but I don't even know if you're on a Wayfarer or a Sundeer? Or something in between.

My math tells me if you go inside the whole way, motoring 8 hours a day on a low 30's sailboat you're looking at (very roughly) about 30-40 days of motoring, without mechanicals. I think sharing some of your planning details might help you get more focused interest.
Old 14-03-2016, 16:24   #6

Boat: Oday sloop 28

I am a positive man of many accomplishments ready to take on any challenge given and yes always with a smile. I am a true team player ready to expand my skills back out on the place I love, the ocean. I am a lucky father of two young adults that are happy and healthy and now on their own. I am sure you would find me more than adapt at any situation, bringing honesty and integrity to all I endeavor in this life. I Started out sailing / racing sunfish and lazier at age 7 moving up and on to local racing out of Hempstead harbor S.C. G.C. yacht clubs, first aid/ CPR certified N.Y. State Ocean Life guard Jones Beach 1982-83’, 1988’-1997’ sport fishing out of Hillsboro Florida, 32 foot Sea Ray and deep water Scuba certified running 28 foot Allman dive boat, 1st. Mate Carrol Ann commercial longline fishing the Yucatan to the banks out of Dayna cut Hollywood FL, Now sailing the east coast 1999’ to present, 2012’ on my 28 O’day, lasted race J-44 Vineyard race etc. And now USCG OUPV Capitan up grading to 100 ton masters towing and sailing endorsements and slamming chef nick named King Food resume please email below.
thank you.

Paul Kramer

email : urockto@optonline.net

Tags
lake ontario, ontario