Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 13:13   #1

Lake Michigan to East Coast / Carribbean

Hi there,

Know this is a bit early to be posting this but thought I'd get it out there.

Looking for one, maybe 2 but probably not, people who are interested in sailing from Racine Wisconsin to the east coast around June or July. I'm certified with ASA to 106 but haven't yet spent enough time on the water, and would really like someone on board who has more experience than I do, especially if it's on the lakes.

This would be with me and my girlfriend, we are both 23. She has no experience on the water, and I am going to spend the month prior teaching her, and getting more experience myself on the lakes. Later in the year we will start to head down towards the caribbean as the hurrican season comes to a close.

We haven't decided yet upon St Lawrence or the Erie as of the moment, and that would be open for suggestions. Would need to be shared expense at least for food, and fuel. The boat is a pearson triton 28.

Come have fun sailing through the lakes, and share your knowledge with 2 aspiring Sailors .
Old 11-02-2012, 18:14   #2

I'm not able to go (sounds darn fun) but my boat is in Reef Point. We are also members of RYC. We have a Pearson 385 and have 20 years experience, mostly on Lake Erie and Michigan. I would be glad to share any knowledge on the lakes that has stuck. Last year we made it to Mackinaw and back and would go farther if is wasn't for working. Send me a PM anytime. What boat do you have?
Old 11-02-2012, 19:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Lake Michigan to east coast/carribbean

Sounds like a good time. For your length, you might consider the Trent-Sevrn waterway from port Severn to Trent. This cuts out a lot of distance, Detroit and the locks at Niagara. Plan extra time to divert into the North Channel on your way once you pass the Mac. North Channel is rated in the top ten cruising destinations on the planet. Look for cruise books on both the Trent and Erie routs.

Mast probably comes off for Trent Severn and you might leave it off for the Erie. Check the internet for height data. Again, for your size & experience level you may be happy to run the canal. This is easy and you can do it on your own.

TrentSevern.com | Explore the Trent-Severn Waterway

trent severn waterway map - Google Search
Old 11-02-2012, 19:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

by the way, the big chute marine railway is one of the last such installations. It should be quite a hoot. make sure they can handle you. I think you should be OK.

big chute marine railway - Google Search=
Old 11-02-2012, 19:53   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

here is a sail boat approaching Big Chute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big chute.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	37272  
Old 11-02-2012, 23:05   #6

Greggegner- Thanks, I really appreciate it, and would love to take you up on that offer. I feel confident running the boat itself, its the forsight and knowledge of big bodies of water that I feel like I really lack experience in, and I have heard some pretty nasty tales of weather on the great lakes haha.
I bought Chase.

Nicholson58- Thanks for the information, I will definetly look the Trent-Sevrn waterway. Haha that big chute marine railway does look like fun .
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09   #7

Np...we will have you over to the dock ( https://sites.google.com/site/docke7yachtclub/). As far as not doing Lake Erie. There is good and bad about that. Being so shallow if you can sail Lake Erie you can sail anywhere, yet you are not far away from a fun time. This will allow you to get some good experience not available on Michigan. At 24 you will enjoy the islands, especially South Bass (Put-In-Bay). Saturday night there is a treat, but not read "G". I agree you need to explore the North Channel. I suggest the Erie Canal to get out. It will allow you to explore the Lakes more and not worry so much about the date. I have not done the Erie, but have lots of friends who have and every one enjoyed it. Look how far North the SL puts you.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35   #8

Re: Lake Michigan to East Coast / Carribbean

I'm up for sailing around the "mit"

I work in education, consequently, I have a lot of free time in the summer.

I have some experience, I crewed on several offshore passages and currently, on Saturdays, I attend J-boat racing clinics.

I would definitely throw in for food ...might consider a little for diesel.

What else? Oh yeah, I'm over forty, but fit not fat... in addition to sailing, I swim and am learning to: whitewater kayak, surf and a little rock climbing.

If you want to know more, shoot me an email: m green x at hot mail and I will send you my sailing CV.

thanks,
Mark
Old 12-02-2012, 13:21   #9

Thats what I have heard about Lake Erie is that if you can sail there, you can sail anywhere. I really would like as much experience as possible, and we won't really be in any kind of rush so Spending some time in the North passage, and sailing through lake Erie are probably what we are thinking about.

Erie canal is what I imagined we would do, only reason I was thinking about the St L is because sailing around Nova Scotia would be really fun. I'd rather not bite off more than I can chew on our first trip though.
Old 12-02-2012, 16:05   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
Np...we will have you over to the dock ( https://sites.google.com/site/docke7yachtclub/). As far as not doing Lake Erie. There is good and bad about that. Being so shallow if you can sail Lake Erie you can sail anywhere, yet you are not far away from a fun time. This will allow you to get some good experience not available on Michigan. At 24 you will enjoy the islands, especially South Bass (Put-In-Bay). Saturday night there is a treat, but not read "G". I agree you need to explore the North Channel. I suggest the Erie Canal to get out. It will allow you to explore the Lakes more and not worry so much about the date. I have not done the Erie, but have lots of friends who have and every one enjoyed it. Look how far North the SL puts you.
The shallow - Lake Erie thing is over-rated. The west basin is pretty shallow untill you are well out in the lake. I rate it similar to Green Bay. Most of Erie has plenty of water depth. I raced out of Cleveland for 18 years on a Heritage One-Ton (38 ft with 7 ft draft). Water depth was never an issue except west of the Erie Islands. You will miss Cedar Point if you do Trent-Severn . If you do the Islands, Put-In-Bay is the place. Aim for Perry's monumnet. There is a cave tour at the winery on the island down into a giant geode of gypsum that was cool. When we raced, Frosty's for Pizza, beer, rootbeer. If you happen to try to stop during race week there will be no space. You might compare the cost of the Niagara locks and consider passing through with big ships with the Trent Severn and no large boats. Same easy rider option in the Erie with no large boats, no storms, no waves, easy access to bars. You can probably call ahead for pizza delivery at the locks.
Old 12-02-2012, 16:46   #11

If you're going to do the Erie Canal you can catch it at Buffalo so it makes no sense to even look at the TSW. If you go TSW then logically you would cross Lake Ontario to Oswego and do the Oswego Canal to the Erie Canal. But the Lake Erie route is much much shorter, faster and easier. You will be taking your mast down to do the TSW unless your mast is about 12' tall or less.