Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2012, 05:52   #1

japan --> nz 2013/14

hello friends, have not been writing and reading this forum for a few years - i sailed away from gulf harbour, auckland in 2007 to hong kong; then in 2011 to akita, japan. now i plan to sail back to nz in 2013 or '14, and need a crew or two.

the boat: 1992 pacific seacraft 37 (u.s. boat, semi-classical, modified long keel, cutter sloop, designer - bill crealock; featured in ferenc mate's bible - best boats to build or buy). bought in nz from transplanted kiwi from the u.s. now living in canada. fully equipped for ocean sailing. had new and reinforced standing rigging, new running rigging and full set of new sails all done in nz in 2007; old sails as spare still very usable. need some repairs for damaged parts in a recent storm in japan - bimini torn, wind gen lost one blade and nose cone. radar reflector dropped down. watermaker filter needs attention or replacement. otherwise in pretty good shape. will have thorough engine test before embarking. engine is yanmar 50 hp with 4k+ hours. has ssb, satphone, e-chart, solar panels, two fuel and two water tanks, electronic and wind pilot, asymmetric spinny. flies the nz flag and has current nz registration.

the trip: march 2013 is iffy; july 2013 is possible; september 2013 is likely, as is any date in 2014. (main considerations: may to october is hurricane season in E and SE asia. if start in july, short hops along japanese string of islands down to the philippines should be ok. march departure would be cold in akita. october departure is quite windy up here al the way down to taiwan. the trip is about 7k nautical miles. it took me 55 days from auckland to the philippines, 7 days from there to hk (four months later, to avoid the typhoon season), and 1 month from hong kong to akita, japan. the trip to japan stopped at six places, quite a lot. i was owner, but crew on the trip from auckland to hk; i was skipper from hong kong to japan. depending on season, may take up to 3-4 months for the entire trip. could be done in two seasons with layover in hk, taiwan or the philippines.

you: must have ample offshore experience. if you are very experienced, you can be the skipper and i have absolutely no problem. u must have confidence in using radios, and can do simple engine routines.) non-smoker. no drugs. no alcohol. social drinker ok. share cooking. physically fit, not overweight and not on medication. could be a husband-wife team.

(me: 61 years old, hong kong chinese kiwi, easy-going, physically fit and not on medication - just did round-taiwan biking 1,700 km; non-smoker. prefer simple but eat any food. not great cook. did single-hand sailing in nz, from gulf harbour to BOI, great barriers, waiheke harbours, etc. writer by profession, retiring)

offer: you pay for your airfare and i pay all food and en route costs. (air fare from auckland to akita: less than NZD 2,000.)

initial expression of interest sought. could discuss here first or send private email to jl2658@in.com

thanks for your interest. joseph
Old 27-02-2013, 03:09   #2
yap
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 421
Re: japan --> nz 2013/14

Hi Joseph,

Good to read you here and good to see you're making crusing plans again.

If it fits your schedule...don't forget to stop in Fukuoka....we're here;-)

Sayonara,
yap
sy Alishan, Taswell 43

Tags
Japan