Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 22:19   #1

Ireland to Canaries

Hi folks,
I have a 36 ft boat bound for Las Palmas (Canary Islands), to partake in the ARC 2012.
I’ am looking for crew to enjoy the delivery trip from Cork to the Canaries in October and November 2012.
Passage Plan is as follows:
Departing Cork, Ireland in the first week of October ‘12
Cross Biscay in Five (5) Days to N/W Spain.
Meander along the Ria’s of Spain and the West Coast of Portugal and play around in the Canaries until the 18th/20th of Nov.

Crew are requested to contribute to a boat fund of €10 underway and/or at anchor or €20 per day in a marina.

I can also offer places onboard while in the Caribbean (Jan to Mar ‘13), delivery to Bermuda (Apr ‘13) and a trip from Azores to Ireland (May ‘13).

If interested in any part of this “the long way around the Fastnet”, talk to me.

THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL VENTURE.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31   #2

Re: Ireland to Canaries

Hi

Im very interested in your planned cruise to the canaries, heres a bit about me.

I'm:
male, 23years old, Irish, sailor, scuba diver, rock climber, paddler, mechanical engineer, biker, tinkerer/mechanic

I'm pretty much just finished college and looking to get some serious miles under my belt.
my sailing experience is as follows; started sailing 13 years ago,
Ive been a sailing instructor for the last 6 years(during the summer months), Have worked as a "boatman" in a few local clubs; ferrying, antifouling, taking boats out of the water ect
I have a little under 1000 sea miles from STV Asgard 2 (which is now at the bottom of the bay of biscay...wasnt my fault.. honest) and from sailing friends boats from ireland to france.

So not a whole lot of cruising experience at all, but i certainly know the difference from one end of the boat to the other.

I would also consider myself easy going, enthusiastic (about all things boat related anyway), pretty good at trouble shooting/fixing things/knowledgeable of boats, rigging and engines.

So that's pretty much it i think

cheers!

Paul
Old 06-02-2012, 16:13   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Having done this sort of thing, I would suggest that if someone decent has to fly in and out to crew for you, it is customary for the skipper to pay for their food and drink in return for all that watchstanding, etc.

I mean, if you eat ashore in a restaurant, you'd split the tab naturally, but if I had unpaid crew aboard, I would not expect them to cover their food or a portion of your marina fees. It hasn't been expected of me when I've crewed, either.

I would otherwise be interested as I'm only a couple of hundred NM short of my sea miles for some RYA courses I want to take, and sailing out of Cork would be amusing from me as my ancestors were from Clonakilty just down the road. I've also sailed the Portuguese coast on a 2007 delivery.

In a properly rigged Dehler 36 with four crew in total, you could drive the boat pretty quickly (as would be advisable at that time of year) through Biscay into warmer waters. It's not going to be an easy trip, however, or a short one. Hence my comments.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 06-02-2012, 16:24   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I agree I can't stand owners that think crew should fund the boat. If you can't afford to run the boat sell it.

Dave
Old 06-02-2012, 16:32   #5
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

A good deal is what any two people feel comfortabel with. Why impose your feelings on others who may think that this is a good deal. I would rather pay a little on a better boat than go for free on a lesser boat.
Just my two cents.
RDW
Old 06-02-2012, 16:46   #6

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Hi I am Irish have a 35 ft Dufour. Complete nobhead looking for anyone willing to pay me good money so that I can enjoy doing my captain Blyth routine while drinking myself silly on the funds you supply:-)

Anyone interested on shipping aboard my vessel, need to have a doc's note certifying why they don't need to be in a nut house!

If you guys can make it work go for it. meet up first and make sure yu on the same page. Heard horror stories about paying crew. Both sides. Mind you other friends have had a blast.
Old 07-02-2012, 00:17   #7
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I agree I can't stand owners that think crew should fund the boat. If you can't afford to run the boat sell it.

Dave
I disagree. Boats DO cost money to run, and if the owner is willing to share the pleasure, I don't think it is unreasonable for the crew to share the costs.

If it were family or friends who were crewing, however, I am sure the crew wouldn't be expected to share running costs... and I am sure they would be decent and buy the meals ashore, of course and help with the shopping!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:41   #8

Boat: Gib sea 43

Well when you look at rya courses and the like most are 80-100 per day, though personally i would not pay to crew on someone else's boat, id say chipping in for food/fuel/marinas is not unfair to ask.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44   #9
Nearly an old salt

If I give up my time , stand watches and act like crew. The least I'd expect is while underway and on board you'd feed me. I would not expect to pay for your diesel or marinas fees.

The only exception is where a group of friends get together and plan a sailing holiday together. Ie they just don't go where the owner want s to go. Then it's a shared cost experience.

This is a delivery trip like many. The crew has to get home as well. I find it strange that owners feel others should contribute to their running costs. I have been subject to this mentality myself, once I wasn't even informed of the expectation. I do not think its at all fair.

Dave
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If I give up my time , stand watches and act like crew. The least I'd expect is while underway and on board you'd feed me. I would not expect to pay for your diesel or marinas fees.

The only exception is where a group of friends get together and plan a sailing holiday together. Ie they just don't go where the owner want s to go. Then it's a shared cost experience.

This is a delivery trip like many. The crew has to get home as well. I find it strange that owners feel others should contribute to their running costs. I have been subject to this mentality myself, once I wasn't even informed of the expectation. I do not think its at all fair.

Dave
I agree. This is not a pleasure cruise...it's a long delivery through potentially tricky waters some distance from land at the far-end of an Atlantic storm season. It demands two to (possibly) four weeks away from family and job, and a high degree of responsibility on a boat that is not going to be particularly private or perhaps even dry. Getting off the boat, you have to have the money or an open-ended ticket to get out of the Canaries, after perhaps having paid to get to Ireland.

There are cheaper ways to get sailing experience logged.

I'm not saying this isn't a great opportunity for the right person (we haven't even broached the subject of captain/crew compatibility), but once you are aboard, you are there 24/7 for weeks, with a minimum six hours a day on watch. 20 knots from the NW and it's a pleasant trip, but it could be 30 knots on the nose with slop at 90 degrees from a NW-trending trough.

As a skipper, I would be quite clear on who is providing the opportunity: the crew is, to myself, who would otherwise have to make a long passage undermanned. Crew can piece together coastal deliveries on weekends in Europe, with reliable trains at both ends. By contrast, the straight-line distance between Cork and Las Palmas is 1442.3 NM. With a couple of stops and the unlikelihood of riding favourable winds the whole way, you can extend that to over 2,000 NM, or longer than Newfoundland to Ireland, which is far more likely to be a rhumb line ride.

I've been on both sides of the equation, and the rule of thumb for me is that I would pay to get myself there, or would expect crew to do so, once aboard, I supply food and drink in return for eyes, hands and brain. If we touch land, we spilt shoreside costs. But if I decide to dock at a French marina, that's on my wallet, not the crew's. It seems fair and equitable to me to operate this way.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01   #11

Isn’t S/V Alchemy quiet the expert?
How does anyone go to sea without his advise?
It is not my boat.
I am not a paid skipper.
I have crossed Biscay only 1% the amount of times he has posted on a thread.
Perhaps I should just curl up under a blanket in the fetal position and leave it all to him.

I WILL NOT respond to any more of his rantings.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24   #12

Oh, by the way, Alchemy, I forgot to mention, I have a holiday home in Spain.
I pay the rates, electricity, refuse collection and maintenance.
Let me know if you would like to fly in and use it so I can have the cleaning lady call and stock up the fridge and cupboards for you. LOL
Old 07-02-2012, 11:42   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhanzer View Post
Oh, by the way, Alchemy, I forgot to mention, I have a holiday home in Spain.
I pay the rates, electricity, refuse collection and maintenance.
Let me know if you would like to fly in and use it so I can have the cleaning lady call and stock up the fridge and cupboards for you. LOL
yeas and so what. you have holiday house.WOW. i have house in dubrovnik, i can jump from my living room sofa in the sea,and can pool orange, lemon and figs from my bedroom, and another one house on the peljesac peninsula with quite big wineyard. and that house and that wineyard was standing there, and my gradfather was living in it in time when you were in ireland starving to death because no POTATO for lunch. but that is not point. point is if you call him to come and stay in your house you SHOULD stock up fridge and cupboards for him. free of charge. only if it is custom in ireland you calling someone to be your guest and then you sell him food. ahahaaaaaa
Old 07-02-2012, 14:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhanzer View Post
Isn’t S/V Alchemy quiet the expert?
How does anyone go to sea without his advise?
It is not my boat.
I am not a paid skipper.
I have crossed Biscay only 1% the amount of times he has posted on a thread.
Perhaps I should just curl up under a blanket in the fetal position and leave it all to him.

I WILL NOT respond to any more of his rantings.

Sorry, Princess, I didn't mean to point out the presence of the pea. I expect you want crew to pay for that, too.

My statements concerning your original post stand.

If you don't care for them, put me on ignore. I make no claim to be an expert, just someone who has been crew and has had crew.

No more and no less. If it came across as ranting, you may have dyslexia.

You posted here with specifics that differed in terms of the "ten euro/day" factor from many others who have been or have had crew for offshore deliveries.

Did you really think they would pass without comment?

I was discussing that with others who have, apparently, similar ideas. If that discussion provokes you to insult, you may not be cut out for this skippering business. You came here soliciting crew, and have certainly submitted a revealing CV in the process.

Good luck with your routine daysail.
Old 07-02-2012, 14:31   #15
Nearly an old salt

I fully support s/v alchemy. I've done Ireland to the canaries now a few times and it can be a pig of a trip. Personally I stay well off shore. It's no fun sail though. The chances of getting clobbered in the northern half by equinoctial storms is high ( and in my experience 30kts is on the very low side of what you can get)

Leaving that aside. Why would you seek to defray on board running costs. The crew has to get to the boat and home. Are you doing it for free for somebody. I don't understand

Tags
Canaries, Ireland