Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 16:02   #1

Boat: CT-41
Interviewing for crew Portland, Or to Mexico then beyond

Looking for crew from Astoria Oregon to San Francisco bay, then on to Mexico. From Mexico an extended voyage onward.

Boat is a CT-41 Ketch. I am looking for is one who I get along with very well for a long distance cruising companion, and possibly a second for shorter legs and change out. Ideally, would like a female for long term but ain't gonna hold my breath and don't mind being single. Want someone friendly, competent, no BS or grandstanding, willing to help with everything from boat maintenance to cooking, cleaning the head, share expenses, and willing to pick up after a dog if needed.

Entering final stages of an extensive refit. Moving from Portland to Astoria within next couple weeks to finish off. Expect to hit open ocean early spring. Anyone who wants to consider long term, will want to get to know each other and jump in to help out.
Old 07-01-2014, 16:46   #2

Boat: PS37
Re: Interviewing for crew Portland, Or to Mexico then beyond

Can you send a picture of your dog, so everyone knows how much picking up's involved? I travel with my cat too so we might need a separate state room. But he is a clean animal, low maintenance. No need to pick up after him - does everything into the scuppers and well trained.
Old 07-01-2014, 18:19   #3

You got plenty of pictures of my dog. He is standing watch in my profile pic and most of the personal album has him in it. Retired Search & Rescue dog, Australian Shepard, now Security Officer First Class aboard S.V. Mystique. Anyone who does not like my dog just doesn't like dogs. He's cool with cats. Probably even share his bunk with one. Just no "inside pooping cats" on this boat. Doubt picking up after him would be any kind of problem, but it sure will weed out the wussy sailors.
Old 07-01-2014, 23:33   #4

Hello!
My name is Marcus and I am currently a student-athlete at Portland State University, and have gained an extreme interest in sailing and all that it has to offer! I was skimming this forum as I usually do, and was thrilled to see someone from Portland. I would be very interested in being your crew in the spring, i have no experience as i have only been on a sailboat once, but i am willing to learn whatever is necessary. I also do alot of studying on the subject on my own. I understand that you are looking for a female crew, so my apologies i am not that, but I am a very hard worker and fast learner. Even if you do not want me as your crew, i would love to meet over coffee or so a discuss sailing, and also if you need any help on your boat, no matter how grueling!!
Thanks again for your post!
Would love a reply...
Old 08-01-2014, 00:45   #5
cruiser

Your dog, your cleanup.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:57   #6

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Your dog, your cleanup.
Kinda wondering myself why anyone would be expected to clean up after your dog. Sounds like a responsibilty for paid crew, not someone sharing costs.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:16   #7

Jammer & Strangelove,

Dog is part of the crew. Anyone too prissy to pitch a poop will also bitch when anything else comes up that might be unpleasant, will leave the dog if we have to ditch, piss all over the head and expect me to clean up after them, then puke their guts out and become useless as soon as the boat gets to exciting sailing. People tend to be consistent in their behaviour.

Those who are willing to share a trip will be willing to share EVERYTHING without thinking they are to good to do the dirty work.... AND pitching a dog poop is far from the dirtiest job that can come up on a boat offshore.

Most people looking to crew are short term freeloaders who think their presence is good enough, vastly over rate their skill, and will NOT share equally an a trip. Most competent skippers are capable of single handing and look for crew to increase safety and the joy of a trip. Incompatible crew is a liability, not an asset.

How people react to dog duty is an indication of their personality and a great way to immediately filter out those who obviously would not work out. For example, from your reactions, it is obvious we have little in common, would run into personality conflict, so I would not consider letting you on my boat under any circumstances. I am sure you share this last opinion.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02   #8

Quote:
Dog is part of the crew. Anyone too prissy to pitch a poop will also bitch when anything else comes up that might be unpleasant, will leave the dog if we have to ditch, piss all over the head and expect me to clean up after them, then puke their guts out and become useless as soon as the boat gets to exciting sailing. People tend to be consistent in their behaviour.
Holy Crap!! Glad you got that out of your system
Old 08-01-2014, 13:45   #9

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog
For example, from your reactions, it is obvious we have little in common, would run into personality conflict, so I would not consider letting you on my boat under any circumstances. I am sure you share this last opinion.
Indeed I do share your opinion, I wouldn't consider crewing on your boat for a beer can race, much less a passage of any kind. You are at least letting people know what to expect upfront. I wish you the best of luck in finding suitable crew.
Old 08-01-2014, 14:50   #10

Boat: csy 37

i'm with dr. strangelove; i wouldn't consider crewing on a boat where cleaning dogshit off the cabin sole was on my list of responsibilities....

BUT!!!!

i applaud you for being upfront. i've crewed on boats where the reality was nothing at all like the original offer...
Old 08-01-2014, 15:09   #11
cruiser

Yup, another fine example of why I like all dogs better than most people.
Old 08-01-2014, 15:50   #12

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are experienced crew. She's worked on several different boats as a stewardess and I've worked on several different boats as a deckhand and engineer. We're both licensed and currently in Portland, OR in-between contracts and looking for an opportunity to get out on the water. We're drama free, easy going, experienced, and love a new adventure. If you'd consider having a couple please let me know. We'd love to meet up with you (and your dog) and see if this could be a good fit.

Good sailing,
Old 08-01-2014, 18:32   #13

Hey dont mind those who cant handle alittle dog poop! That is the least of my worries, the dog would be a great companion! I just want to learn and work!
Old 08-01-2014, 19:08   #14

Boat: PS37

My cat actually can mount a toilet commode, but on the high seas he loses his balance and misses target. I cannot blame him for this. But he never pukes, never! I took a look at your dog - looks an amiable fella.
Old 08-01-2014, 21:14   #15

Hey, Onestep,

You are in good company with Jammies, Strangelove, and sailourboy. Each have no idea what being responsible crew on a boat with a dog entails, and each base their emotional rant on total ignorance of what the "responsibility" entails. I particularly love your assumption that it means "cleaning dogshit off the cabin sole", a phenomenon that has never occurred with my highly trained dog who spent 8 years in Search & Rescue and now a trained watch dog who also brings joy to literally hundreds of people. Who do you bring joy to?

What I find interesting is this: You all knew from my original post that there was no way you would ever consider crewing on my boat, so why did you guys even reply to my post at all? Do you have some psychological need to prove your manhood by making a public statement that you are too good to do what ANY responsible crew who signs on to a boat with a dog would never even question? Please do NOT request a billet on ANY boat with a dog. Every skipper who has a dog would highly resent your pretentious sissy attitude.

PS37, cool cat!

Hall & PShock, will PM

For those of you who like companionship of a well trained, friendly dog, the photos:

Aleutia on a down-stay below a running USAF helicopter during SAR training, Fairchild AFB, Spokane, WA.

Negotiating a "junk table" during Urban SAR training with FEMA Task Force 1, Coeur d' Alene Idaho.

Competing in K9 Keg Pull, 5th place out of 75 dogs, Sandpoint, Idaho, benefit for humane society.

Indicating successful find during search & rescue mission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aleutia4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	73590   Click image for larger version

Name:	36RF28.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	73591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	f15468200.jpg