Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 14:39   #61

Boat: CT 41 ketch
Re: Interviewing for crew Portland, Or to Mexico then beyond

Good luck in your search. Great blog, by the way.
I too have a CT 41 which I am renovating slowly on Hayden Island in Portland with a view to doing a similar voyage to you. Are you in Scappoose?

Colin
Old 10-01-2014, 19:37   #62

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
My answer would be "depends on the situation" Should I happen to encounter aforementioned young lady sans clothing aboard someone else's vessel, and I were there as part of the crew, I would politely inquire if she needed help applying sunblock, to prevent sunburn or skin cancer. If it were my boat the answer is "Noneya".
Ah HA! "Young Lady"..... You are assuming "Young" and "Lady" also needs discernment.
Old 10-01-2014, 20:27   #63

Boat: CT-41

Colin,

I too am on Hayden Island. Where you at?
Old 10-01-2014, 20:34   #64

captian58,

Homer boy, eh?

You might know my cousin Tom Hopkins, runs a water taxi out of Jackaloff Bay, or cousin Chris Wheeler who has the Crabpot Grocery Cafe and Art Gallery in Soldovia, or cousin Barb who works for Soldovia Native Assn, or Jimmy who is contractor and has a yard where he keeps his tug on the spit... or Toni from Homer or Cassie from Anchor Bay, or my renegade sister Anita in Homer?
Old 10-01-2014, 21:58   #65

I'm in Tomahawk G36. Where are you?
I'm trying to get my electrics sorted so your blog was very helpful!
Old 10-01-2014, 22:58   #66

Colin,

Island Cove Floating Home Marina.
Access is through Lotus Isle Park. You can see my boat from the ramp. I am the only cruising boat in this marina. I go to Sextons regularly and frequently Hidden Bay Cafe with my dog Aleutia. He is kind of the unofficial mascot. More people know him than me, cause he is cuter.

Come for a visit. I will look for you too.

Steve
Old 11-01-2014, 04:27   #67
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
...my dog Aleutia. He is kind of the unofficial mascot. More people know him than me, cause he is cuter.

Steve

I know that feeling exactly. Which is often a bonus. We hardly ever get mistaken for tourists to rip off, cos people get to know our dogs too quickly. Hell, the tourist guides on the party boats introduce the dogs by name when they go past us...

Anyway, hope you found the right crew, and good luck. So if you don't mind my continued hijack of your thread, I remembered question 3. Well, it's not so much a question as a ritual, but you might find it useful for weeding out potential crew in the early days.

We always invite them for a meal on the boat. Dinner, sailing lunch, whatever, and see how they react. Generally they fall into easy categories:

A - they refuse politely and never accept. Generally very devout Muslims fall into this category, and since they probably won't pick up poo or fuss the dogs either, then this effectively rules them out. Can't have crew starving now, can we?

B - they will accept and eat. When they see dog hairs in their meal, they'll usually pull them out and quietly slip them overboard. This type, after a few meals aboard, usually then give up and just eat the damn things like the rest of us anyway.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:48   #68

Boat: Skookum 53'

I was using the "young" adjective, because I am older than most of the young ladies afloat, and because if she is of a "certain age" that type of reference will earn you browny points with the lady in question. I am from Homer, a lot of the people you mentioned, are familiar to me, but I can't say that I know them, I spend most of my time at sea, and have not socialized much when home. When I retire in a few months, I'll reacquaint myself with everyone. Until I finish my refit, then I'm back off the see the world again.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:12   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

So, You two Portland Folks (and more), Going to the boat show today? I'll be at the Lee Sails Booth off and on from 1 to 5 for Rose City. Stop by and say Hi. Just say "does cruisers forum ring a bell?"

Regards
Old 11-01-2014, 10:30   #70

Thanks Steve, will do.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:37   #71

Hi evm, I went on Thursday and have to say I was a bit disappointed. As I was last year. There really isn't much for the cruising sailor. I*did*pick up some l.e.d.s from Englund which were a steal, so not a complete loss.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:56   #72

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I'm sure that Vino the Dog realizes that few knowledgable skippers sail to Mexico in the spring. Few insurance companies will offer coverage to a yacht underway after May 1 but a rider can be obtained at a significant premium (this I know from personal experience).

Also, sailing with pets aboard in many places in the South Pacific (and beyond) can create enormous logistic and financial obstacles. One friend who took a cat with them to New Zealand had to pay over US$3,000 in quarantine fees.

Fair winds, calm seas and good luck.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:38   #73

nhschneider,

Thanks for the advisory. I am aware that spring is not considered ideal time to sail to Mexico. With an open schedule, leaving Oregon in spring does not necessarily mean it will still be spring by the time we pass San Diego. Also aware there are exceptions to every rule. Keeping informed of conditions in advance is a necessity if one chooses to violate the rule.

Same goes with dog sailing. I am aware of restrictions many countries place. It is much easier if all your paperwork is in order and the animal checks out. Alelutia has been my full time companion for 12 years, 8 of those as a SAR dog & handler team. He goes where I go until his last breath. There will be no months of quarantine, and because I am not a "checkbook sailor", there will be no $3,000 fees. Countries with such impositions are simply places we will not go, even if that means passing up New Zealand where I once lived and still have friends.

I once crewed on a Contest 48 from La Paz to Mazatlan with skipper, his wife and two dogs. Had to stop on an island half way across because his Golden refused to use the "poop deck". Nice boat. Very slippery.
Old 12-01-2014, 21:42   #74

Steve - I've done this trip from Seattle on a Fuji 40. We were out 160 NM on the Oregon/California border, and still had 20 foot seas, with broken rigging. Choose your crew wisely.
I lived aboard for 7 years, and have 16,000 miles offshore experience.

I might be interested in your trip.
Old 13-01-2014, 13:17   #75

I am wanting to go. I am currently in Detroit MI. Willing to work. And don't mind getting wet or dirty. I can also cook. QUOTE=Vino the Dog;1434445]Looking for crew from Astoria Oregon to San Francisco bay, then on to Mexico. From Mexico an extended voyage onward.

Boat is a CT-41 Ketch. I am looking for is one who I get along with very well for a long distance cruising companion, and possibly a second for shorter legs and change out. Ideally, would like a female for long term but ain't gonna hold my breath and don't mind being single. Want someone friendly, competent, no BS or grandstanding, willing to help with everything from boat maintenance to cooking, cleaning the head, share expenses, and willing to pick up after a dog if needed.

Entering final stages of an extensive refit. Moving from Portland to Astoria within next couple weeks to finish off. Expect to hit open ocean early spring. Anyone who wants to consider long term, will want to get to know each other and jump in to help out.[/QUOTE]

Tags
crew, Mexico, portland