Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 21:34   #16
cruiser

Re: Interviewing for crew Portland, Or to Mexico then beyond

I suppose the flip side of crew who won't do nasty jobs is a "skipper" who wants you to.
Old 08-01-2014, 21:40   #17

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog
Every skipper who has a dog would highly resent your pretentious sissy attitude.
Wow. You certainly seem like the kind of person I'd LOVE to spend a bunch of time with on a small boat.

Pretentious sissy attitude? I can just imagine how pleasant a captain you would be from your remarks. The dog is going to be more important than any crew member on the boat, I'm sure.

It has nothing to do with a moist, steamy dog loaf and everything to do with the attitude you have shown thus far.
Old 08-01-2014, 21:53   #18

Boat: CT-41

Give it a rest, children.
Old 08-01-2014, 21:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
Give it a rest, children.
Yes sir, Captain Bligh!

Good luck and happy cruising!
Old 08-01-2014, 22:24   #20

Boat: PS37

Here's the solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	73594  
Old 09-01-2014, 04:46   #21

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Perhaps some explanation of the Captains sailing experience would cool this down a bit. Sounds like the dog is cool.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:20   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

It is so interesting to see the different attitudes of different people
While sailing, we have our dogs with us.
When we have friends onboard most of them are very keen to take one or all of them on the walk. We allow for this, but we also do hand out the bags for picking up after the dog.
If I ever would be considering a new partner for the prolonged cruise, I would not be happy about somebody leaving the dog's poo behind on the sole while on the walk...

Australian Shepherds are fantastic

And - I do believe - calling somebody Dr. Strangelove or Captain Bligh is against the rules of this forum.
The user is looking for a cruising partners and presenting openly his demands - in my opinion very reasonable demands. Getting this thread into the rant may lead to the closing of the thread by the Moderators, simply banning the OP from proper use of the forum facility.

Best regards to all.

Tomasz
Old 09-01-2014, 06:29   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Wow Op you want the crew to do everything , and pick up after the dog , and put up with your attitude AND they have to pay You for it ( expenses)

Really how's that going for u.

Passengers pay you , you pay crew. Now work back from that basis.

Dave
Old 09-01-2014, 06:52   #24

Boat: pearson A35
Having had my dog crap all over the cockpit while underway (she held it as long as she could, first trip) I attest that my preferred option was to clean it up immediately. Didn't matter who's dog it was, dogcrap is slippery and smelly!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:31   #25

Boat: CT-41

Thank you dog boat people for adding your experience. When I was crewing for others, sailed on a couple boats with dogs. Most crew automatically took care of dog poop immediately as none wanted it bouncing around the deck. Never had a dog poop in the cabin, but can happen, particularly in heavy weather when the dog is below for safety. Then, immediate clean up is more important unless you want a pile on your berth or in your shoe. We had one crew who felt it was below his dignity. Turned out that many other aspects of sharing were also below his dignity and he quickly left our boat to hustle the wife of another skipper who did not realize what he was getting into.

No one unwilling to share "dog duty" should ever sail on a boat with a dog.

I started this thread to look for crew on my boat with clear notice that I have a dog. He lives here. Reasonable expectation that any crew on my boat will like my dog. There are many who don't share that opinion. Thank you for simply not replying. On the positive side of the dog poop rant, I introduced you to my dog, Aleutia. He is extremely intelligent, very well trained, and proved his worth as both companion and a valuable asset to a crew.

You also see that I am seeking long term crew capable of sharing everything during a voyage. If you feel this unreasonable, don't reply. Short term crew have a less stringent standard, but are still expected to respect chain of command and do their assigned duty. If you feel this unreasonable, don't reply, it's not your boat.

I am not interested in opinions on who should pay what or what should be expected from those not considering crewing on this boat, with the exception, of you who contribute helpful insights from you own experience.

I am looking for intelligent, psychologically stable, energetic, adventurous, friendly, and responsible crew with whom we have adequate mutual interests and respect to share a long term, wild adventure of a lifetime. I want reliable crew, capable of handling the type of serious emergency situation that can happen a thousand miles offshore, well enough to not just survive, but keep the boat intact and the dog on board. Then, have a Pina Colada on the beach, go fix whatever broke, and do it again.

Will post some of my experience soon.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:32   #26

Vino would you be sailing onward to the south pacific? If so im greatly interested in crewing for you. My name is Sagen, i am 21, and i have 3.4 months at sea experience, as well as 7 yrs of experience cooking in Fine dining. I am also an experienced traveler whose backpacked 5 of the 7 continents. I read your bio and i think we would get along great. If your interested i can provide references and a full AV.

P.S. I think your dog bad ass
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Yup, another fine example of why I like all dogs better than most people.
I was no going to say "no sh#t" - but in this case I would be wrong .

As said, something on your sailing background would help attract the experienced sailing folks you want (or need?).
Old 09-01-2014, 12:17   #28

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
Jammer & Strangelove,

Dog is part of the crew. Anyone too prissy to pitch a poop will also bitch when anything else comes up that might be unpleasant, will leave the dog if we have to ditch, piss all over the head and expect me to clean up after them, then puke their guts out and become useless as soon as the boat gets to exciting sailing. People tend to be consistent in their behaviour.

Those who are willing to share a trip will be willing to share EVERYTHING without thinking they are to good to do the dirty work.... I am sure you share this last opinion.
I agree! I will clean your dogs poop off the floor, and Since you've been clear about sharing "EVERYTHING" I'm sure you'll have no problem cleaning my poop off the floor when I lose control of my bowels again?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38   #29
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Guys, I want y'all to just chill and cut out the ****. Pn intended, hahaha. (Note to self - mustn't forget the smiley so everyone knows I'm just joking.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Kinda wondering myself why anyone would be expected to clean up after your dog. Sounds like a responsibilty for paid crew, not someone sharing costs.
Erm, we have a questionnaire for potential crew. We have to, we sail in Muslem seas with dogs.

Question One is:

if you had to go to the foredeck to unjam a line, and it has **** on it, would you:
a) Scream in horror at the sight and run back to wash your hands seven times?
=== or ===
b) Scream in horror at the sight, unjam the line, then go wash your hands as often as you like?
=== or ===
c) Kick it overboard, unjam the line, then go wash your hands as often as you like?

Our crew have all, so far, answered yes - and that includes Muslems we have picked up in the Middle East. So either they agree with cleaning up as necessary, or they don't come. Either way is fine by us!
Old 09-01-2014, 13:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Guys, I want y'all to just chill and cut out the ****. Pn intended, hahaha. (Note to self - mustn't forget the smiley so everyone knows I'm just joking.)

Erm, we have a questionnaire for potential crew. We have to, we sail in Muslem seas with dogs.

Question One is:

if you had to go to the foredeck to unjam a line, and it has **** on it, would you:
a) Scream in horror at the sight and run back to wash your hands seven times?
=== or ===
b) Scream in horror at the sight, unjam the line, then go wash your hands as often as you like?
=== or ===
c) Kick it overboard, unjam the line, then go wash your hands as often as you like?

Our crew have all, so far, answered yes - and that includes Muslems we have picked up in the Middle East. So either they agree with cleaning up as necessary, or they don't come. Either way is fine by us!
That isn't the way the OP presented the situation. Of course anyone is going to do whatever needs to be done for the boat in a given situation, regardless of the **** status.

Tags
crew, Mexico, portland