Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2012, 10:49   #1

\I want to sail

Hello and Happy Christmas and Newyear to all that are reading.

My name is Trevor and I am 46 a year old Canadian. My entire life I have dreamed of sailing in the tropics. Being Canadian, unfortunately I am more used to cold weather and ice and snow than a warm paradise. But... As my son has now grown and has his own life, I am single and have no more attachments to my home on Vancouver Island more than making sure the mortgage is payed. I have now rented out my house and as of the end of January will be free to pursue my dream. Does anyone have any ideas on where the best place for me to go learn to sail, ideally not pay much or anything at all in exchange for working. I am an x-dive instructor, very mechanical and have been a handyman for 30 years. |I know I would be an assest on board a boat if given the opportunity.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Trevor
Old 26-12-2012, 12:14   #2

Re: \I want to sail

Trevor, My tartan 37 is in St. Augustine, Florida and starting the second week of Jan. I'll start moving it to West Palm Beach and then across to the Bahamas. If you are interested and have a passport, we might work something our.

Bill
Old 26-12-2012, 12:44   #3

Boat: hunter 376

Phone Cooper, they are both on Van Isle and the mainland, and book yourself a "Cruise and Learn" course. You will set sail, with 3 other students and one instuctor, aboard a Bavaria 36 or similar vessel, and cruise the Gulf Islands for 6 days, learning points of sail, docking, anchoring, basic navigation, seamanship, emergency procedures, and more. you leave with your CYA certificate in basic cruising, and a real sense if sailing is your cuppa tea. Ask for Marla, she's a first class instructor, and also loves to arrange charter/flotilla trips to Croatia, and other far-flung places around the globe. Its a grand adventure with a never-ending learning curve, and an unlimited number of places, locally and around the globe to travel and visit. Let me warn you, though, you should enjoy adventure, wildlife, friends, food, travel, learning new things, sunshine, wind and waves, spectacular scenery, and utter relaxation at quiet spectacular anchorages, while enjoying a morning coffee from your cockpit watching seals playing and the summer sun rising over the water.
Good luck, keep us posted as to your progress.
Old 27-12-2012, 21:26   #4

Hi Bill and Thank you. Thats a very kind offer. I am unfortunately still stuck here till the end of January and maybe into the second week of February. I have to finish sewing things up here and it is taking alot longer than I thought. 25 years of roots requires lots of attention to get sorted out before a person can sail off into the sunset. NOt like when i was 18 years old and living at home.....LOL

Thanks again

Trevor Humphreys
Old 30-12-2012, 05:55   #5

Boat: Hunter 450

Trevor -

I have a Hunter 450....2-3 months away from finishing "to-do" list, haul out, Carib sailing. I have an experienced captain in the process of selling his house and I left the rat race 2 months ago.

Let me know and I can give you more details.

Tags
sail