Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 04:51   #1

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran
pirate Hylas / Hallberg-Rassy / X-Yachts?

I've recently caught the sailing bug, and I'm starting to get serious about buying my own yacht. My search has narrowed down to a few different manufacturers / models - Hylas, Hallberg-Rassy, and X-Yachts are at the top of my list. Obviously buying one is quite a big step - and I'd really like to give one a test drive and see how I like it before I make the plunge. These yachts also don't seem to be the kind you can just charter. Looking at pictures online and walking through one just doesn't feel like enough information. I'm hoping someone on here would be interested in sailing with me and letting me get a sense of what it is really like to own and sail a Hylas.

A little bit about myself: I'm an 31 year old American guy, ex-startup, fit, keen to learn, adventurous, have a fun/optimistic personality, willing to work, and have a decent amount of sailing experience. I've done a few ASA classses and am currently finishing up my RYA Yachtmaster Coastal ticket in Gibraltar. I've got about 9 weeks of sailing and 1000 miles under my belt. I'm free to travel starting mid-July and would be happy to fly out to whatever far-flung corner of the world you're at. I'd really like to sail on something in the 45-55ft range as I plan on living aboard permanently and working my way towards a circumnavigation eventually. I'd be happy to compensate you for your time if you'd like. I also speak passable Spanish and pretty decent Mandarin.

Hopefully this request isn't too strange - I'm as normal as you can get for a mega nerd tech entrepreneur. Fair winds and safe passage!

Tags
Hylas, yacht