Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 16:40   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: How likely is it to get on as crewman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
You seem to be getting lots of advice from people, Some who probably have never been crew or hired crew.

I have worked as crew and hired crew for the past 35 years on Megayachts and ships.

So here is some information, not advice:

Smaller cruising boats, 50’ or less rarely pay anything. They are paying a lot for their adventure and can not imagine paying anyone to join their adventure, in fact they will probably want you to pay to work, a few may pay your expenses if you have a lot of experience.

Motoryachts 100’ and below keep a small crew, pay small and work you to death. (most, there are exceptions).

Megayachts 150’ and up pay well, work is good and it is a pretty good life. Engineers are hard to find and pay 0ver 100K for a Chief Engineer, half that for a second, and 25 to 30 k for a deckhand/wiper.
This is usually cash and you have no expenses so you can save a good amount. If you are running charters you get pretty good tips, often matching your wage. Your time is owned by the boat though... on call 24/7/365. I used to give my crew 6 weeks off per year, and would fly them anywhere in the world they wished to go, but the rest of the time they were mine.

If you can fix things, especially electrical and electronic, HVAC and plumbing,you are in demand on Megayachts. And extra if you have been to any engine schools. (Cat, MAN, Detroit etc.)

Lauderdale crew agencies are..ok but tend to push their friends IMHO (there are a few exceptions) International Crew Agencies are the best, like Yachtcrew.ca or 37 south in NZ

Hope this helps..
Michael
To the OP, excellent information here. Convert your technical knowledge to marine knowledge. Everybody loves diesel and electrical guys.
Old 01-09-2016, 00:30   #17

Join the navy if you can stomach obama
Old 01-09-2016, 06:05   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy davy View Post
Join the navy if you can stomach obama
What in the world does Obama have to do with joining the navy? As a matter of fact, what does your reply have to do with this thread?
Old 01-09-2016, 16:51   #19

I can only speak of my very limited experience.

Answered a crew wanted post here, got accepted within 48 hrs. Not young, not female, not cute!

Met up with a great couple and sailed 1000NM. My first time sailing in 40 yrs.

Don't give up.

All the above advise seems reasonable (except for that NavyDavy dude )
Old 07-09-2016, 17:40   #20

Boat: Jeanneau Attalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If you have no experience...really...who is going to want to train you?
Can't you even read a book about sailing? Watch some videos? Show some kind of interest other than being treated to a boat ride?

I would not take you aboard.
Not meaning any disrespect to hamburking, but that was a pretty harsh way to treat someone who has taken an interest in our hobby.

If you are the one that had the black Pearson 30 with a bad case of mast compression at Confederation Basin, I looked at your boat last year when it was for sale and with what was wrong with it, this fellow doesn't want you to ask him to crew on your boat.

Instead why don't you tell him to do what I believe you did and take out an ad in the local electronic listings offering to crew. In this case kijiji.ca.
It sure looks like your qualifications and the one picture looks like the Pearson in the slip across from the Martello Tower.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:28   #21
DYD
Marine Service Provider

Not paid. Looking for crew for Annapolis - BVI .....ASAP!
CONTACT MAT@DIRECT-YACHTS.COM
Old 12-10-2016, 14:16   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hobby to some is a lifestyle to others.
you probably have a better chance of crew with hobbyists unless you are willing to work a shard as the boat owner. day sail with em and have fun.
a hobbyist can possibly afford to support another mouth to feed and another space occupied by a body who needs to be taught the ways to do everything on board.
there is actually a huge difference.
hobbyist is usually not out overnight, at least not more than a week at a time , vacations. and hobbyist owns a home on land.
the folks who need most help are those without time to teach all aspects of boat sailing and lifestyle. these wont pay you.
i have some friends who run baja haha every year and offer a crew chance complete with teaching--but you pay them for this option.
with experience you can find positions in sailcruising boats..i have done that--you pay own way and berth and sailing are included.
latitude 38 has such a crew list--i dont know what on east coast has this offering.

Tags
crew