Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2014, 15:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Help Deliver 44' center cockpit, Beaufort NC to Fenrnandia Beach FL 18 or 19 Dec

Looking for a sailing partner for 3 day, 2 night offshore (close in) trip from Beaufort NC to Fernandia Beach FL departing on the 18th or 19th of Dec.

I volunteered to help a friend but something has come up that I should attend to. I had a good time helping last year. The owner is a good natured, safety minded, competent sailor. I really wanted to go, and will if i can't find a good replacement.

Will depart on the 18th or 19th, stay just offshore enough to miss the sandbars, motor running, sails up, and arrive in Fernandia Beach late in the day on the 20th or 21st. The boat has autopilot, Liferaft, Epirb, all the good safety equipment.

The owners wife will be getting off with their dogs in Beaufort and driving to Fernandia Beach. The helper can/will deliver the car back to Beaufort and pick up your own car.

No fee, no compensation, just a relaxing offshore trip.

If you can help please send an email directly to garthbirdsey@msn.com
Old 14-12-2014, 16:06   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Help Deliver 44' center cockpit, Beaufort NC to Fenrnandia Beach FL 18 or 19 Dec

The simple fact that the start of this delivery is focused on two specific days raises a huge red flag. Unless this vessel can bail out and stay in the ditch no wise crew should sign on to such a passage. JMHO A "relaxing offshore trip"? Just maybe you have the weather scoped out and the forecast in December will remain the same?

2 Hulls Dave
Old 15-12-2014, 06:04   #3

Re: Help Deliver 44' center cockpit, Beaufort NC to Fenrnandia Beach FL 18 or 19 Dec

The departure is 3 or 4 days from now (depending which day we depart), the weather forecasts look fine for now and if a need to delay arises he will do that.

The trip would be made motor-sailing so the time out is relatively predictable.

The trip will be within 2 or three miles of land, just far enough out to clear the sandbars.

The owner and captain of the boat has made this trip at least a dozen times, has all the communication and safety gear to ensure a safe trip.
Old 15-12-2014, 06:15   #4

Dave, thanks for your concern, but you do realize that IT IS DECEMBER NOW and this trip is only a few days away!!!!

Of course safety is priority one, and if the need to go inshore arises that will be done.
Old 15-12-2014, 17:04   #5

The owner found someone that didn't have his head up his AS$ to go along. It is going to be a great time!!

I guess 2 Hulls Dave will stay tied to the dock drinking little pinky drinks with the girls!!!

(are all cat sailors this gutless???) that should get the tread going!! ha ha

Old 15-12-2014, 17:28   #6

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsey View Post
The owner found someone that didn't have his head up his AS$ to go along. It is going to be a great time!!

I guess 2 Hulls Dave will stay tied to the dock drinking little pinky drinks with the girls!!!

(are all cat sailors this gutless???) that should get the tread going!! ha ha

I'll accept that as a good natured jab. Actually I enjoy drinking with the ladies, as long as they make their own foo foo drinks - I don't know how. Rum, neat for me.

As for gutless cat sailors, well, I'll continue to be smart and analytical in planning all my passages, typically not just offshore of the sand bars. That violates the primary safety rule of boats and airplanes - stay away from land. If that makes me gutless, so be it. But I expect I've taken my boat to places you wouldn't care to try or have even heard of. If you can guess where this is I'll buy the whole crew a rum, neat.

Gutless Dave
Head up my ass
Safely sailing offshore for a very long time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380sm.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	93667  
Old 15-12-2014, 20:33   #7

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I am new to this site, but I read the agreement and it seems to me the moderator needs to issue some warnings. I thought we were to be civil to fellow sailors. And I must say 2Hulls seems to have started it. It seems to me that you were assuming the captain of the ship in question was incompetent with-out knowing him??? And the next reply was a bit disrespectful to. Keep it friendly guys.

Tags
beaufort, center cockpit, cockpit