Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 15:43   #1

Boat: Coronado 41 CCS
Gulfport, MS to Key West, FL

Hey all, looking for one or two crew members to help me get my sailboat from Gulfport MS to Key West FL late October 2011.

Currently my boat is located in Lake of the Ozark MO. I will have her trucked down to D&H Marina in Gulfport around 18-20 October, after she is in the water and made sure all systems are good from the move, we will wait for a good weather window and then depart Gulfport for a direct sail to Key West.

The boat is a 1972 Coronado Center Cockpit Sloop, 41 foot.

I am 46 year old male, divorced retired military, non-smoker. Usually get along with anyone, (easy going).
Old 10-08-2011, 12:36   #2

Re: Gulfport, MS to Key West, FL

Ninetoes....welcome aboard......
Just a few questions.....
How long do you anticipate the trip taking? And are you looking for someone with sailing experience?

thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 13:10   #3

Boat: Endeavour 37

Hey Ninetoes. I might be able to do that. I'm a solo practicing attorney, so I am able to clear my calander with enough notice. I've been sailing in Mobile Bay and the surrounding areas all my life. I own an Endeavour 37 that I recently sailed from Mobile to Tarpon Springs and back without loss of crew or equipement. I can provide my own safety gear including PLB. I also have a portable gps with the Gulf of Mexico chart. I do smoke and have no problem not smoking on your boat. I might ask for the opportunity to smoke a small cigar on the foredeck at the end of the day. PM if you think you could use my help.
Old 10-08-2011, 20:45   #4

Hey ya, I am expecting it to take 6-8 days, my Garmin program MapSource estimates it to be approximately 600 miles from Gulfport to Key West, at around 100 miles a day for sailing,.. that should be ballpark. Just ordered a chart so I can plan it in better detail.

Sailing experience is always a plus, I have been sailing off and on since 1983, last 3 years been sailing the Lake of the Ozark, so someone with more recent ocean experience is always a plus, and I believe there is always more to learn, or different ways to do things.

Smoking on deck is fine, though I dont smoke, I do on occasion enjoy a cigar here and there too.
Old 10-08-2011, 21:09   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum

Good weather, 4-5 days depending on wind direction..
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25   #6

Ok cool, see I had figured it up on the Waterway Guide's trip planner and that is what they said too, but with Mapsource saying 600 miles,.. I just thought it would be better to plan for a longer trip, more provisions and such, that way if the weather is off or no wind, we would be ok.

I've been trolling the boards for a while, just, obviously, dont post too much.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Paid or “volunteer”?
Paid expenses?
Pix of the boat?
Recent Survey?
Old 11-08-2011, 13:36   #8

Good questions, never thought of them, first time doing this. Well,.. would like volunteer crews, only expenses I can think of would be food, and I have no problems, within reason, of supplying food and beverages for the trip, was planning on that anyway.

Pics of the boat are listed on my facebook, but, I will post one here too if I can get it to work, still learning on the forums,...

A survey was done on the boat 3 years ago when I purchased her, since then I have been upgrading her systems and getting her ready for an extended cruise in the Caribbean, of course there are things I still want to do/add,.. but then again a boat is never really done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1804513_2.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	30396  
Old 11-08-2011, 13:53   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The reason I ask is I have made that trip a few times (as well as dozens of Sarasota>Key West) and a rhumb line passage in late October can be very fickle. The cold fronts are beginning to push through about then, and things can go from becalmed to 10’ seas in a couple hours.

Unless the boat was in very good shape, fresh survey on the rigging, all the safety equipment, etc, I would urge caution in a 40 year old boat on that passage. I once sat becalmed for 4 days on that route, beyond motoring range and communication range of shore. It was before the days of SAT Comms, and actually got filed as an overdue vessel. (It took 2 weeks to sail from Biloxi to KW!) I’ve also done it triple reefed in 3 days on a cat in 35Kt winds.

The Gulf Coast of FL can be a fun trip, and might be a lot safer (and more comfortable in late Oct)
Old 11-08-2011, 14:26   #10

Oh wow, wasnt aware of that, I had heard there are a good amount of storms and lightning along the Florida coast, reason I was wanting to stay away from the coast and just sail to Key West. I have over 2 months before I head out, so will have to plan a secondary route, or stay closer to the coast depending on weather. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2011, 14:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There’s a lot of threads about the left side (Gulf Coast) of Florida... You have at least two months’ worth of reading there! LOL
Old 11-08-2011, 19:38   #12

LOL yup, good thing I have this app on my iPhone for slow times at work,.. HAHAHAHA
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
Good questions, never thought of them, first time doing this. Well,.. would like volunteer crews, only expenses I can think of would be food, and I have no problems, within reason, of supplying food and beverages for the trip, was planning on that anyway.

Pics of the boat are listed on my facebook, but, I will post one here too if I can get it to work, still learning on the forums,...

A survey was done on the boat 3 years ago when I purchased her, since then I have been upgrading her systems and getting her ready for an extended cruise in the Caribbean, of course there are things I still want to do/add,.. but then again a boat is never really done.
Nice looking boat! Good luck on your trip.
Old 12-08-2011, 15:36   #14

TYVM!!, I love her, she is wonderful. Needs alot more TLC, but she is solid, since I have bought her I have ripped out all the old wiring, plumbing and electronics and installing all new up to date stuff, including an actual circuit breaker panel instead of a fuse panel. Have redone the upholstery in the saloon area and have a new mattress for the queen size bed in the aft Cabin.
Old 13-08-2011, 16:10   #15

Boat: 1984 Hunter 30' Sail

I am interested in sailing your boat. I sailed my a 30 foot Hunter from Jacksonville Florida through Marathon and on to mobile, Alabama about 3 years ago. I live in Fayetteville Arkansas now, not far from where your boat is. I am 59 y. male, good shape, non smoker, hard worker.

Tags
key west