Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2008, 22:05   #1

Arrow Greenhorn wants learn

I am a 49 year old retired over the road truck driver of 28 years. I don't have a wife or kids, so I am able to be on the water forever if need be. At the moment, I am working part time as a laborer for my brother in his home remodeling business. This is not the work that I want to do for the next 10 years. I want to work on a BOAT. I need training,but I am a quick study. I am willing to do the first season for almost nothing, just so I can learn. I know the work is very hard. If you can help me get started, or if you know someone that can help me, that would be wonderful. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
PS...I am ready to go Now...

Ricky Watts
256-535-6598
rickyewatts@gmail.com
Old 14-12-2008, 02:02   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
A friend of mine recently picked up work as a deckhand on a lobster boat leaving oiut of Stock Island. He says its hard work and they stay out for 10 then back for 3. Will be heading that way in another couple of weeks, can ask him how he met the captain or if more work is available when i get there if That kind of work appeals to you.
Old 14-12-2008, 05:10   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Look at find a crew.net.........you can fill out a profile and put yourself "on the block" for a paid or non-paid work experience position.
Old 14-12-2008, 05:47   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
These guys are mostly big white boats out of Lauderdale.
Crewfinder Yacht Crew Links

There's a lot of work out of the gulf coast on boats serving the offshore rigs. You don't mention what sort of work, or what sort of boat you're interested in working on. If it's big yachts then you're going to be limited as to where you can go.
Old 14-12-2008, 06:42   #5

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
A friend of mine recently picked up work as a deckhand on a lobster boat leaving oiut of Stock Island. He says its hard work and they stay out for 10 then back for 3. Will be heading that way in another couple of weeks, can ask him how he met the captain or if more work is available when i get there if That kind of work appeals to you.
Stock Island in the Keys?
I have lived in Key West for many years and would not recommend working out of Stock Island to my worst enemy.
It's over run with Crackheads.
This guy says he is a Greenhorn, why give him such a bad introduction?

But, I can't talk, I bought my first sailboat from a fine gentleman that lived on Stock Island. Or rather the "Beautifull Isle of Stock" as the Realtors like to call it.
Funny thing forsalebyowner, I lost that first sailboat I purchased on Stock Island in Hurricane Jeanne where you are in Stuart.
Old 14-12-2008, 11:10   #6

Thanks guys for your input.
Dirtpoor
Old 14-12-2008, 12:13   #7
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Im at the maritime and yachting museum. Just about done with a month long canvas job. Cant wait to get sailing again. Only 10 more cushions and a bimini left to go.

I wouldnt send a greenhorn to a bunch of crackheads. The people I know at Stock Island are a different sort. I met one guy who paid me double for all the work I did for him then he gave me a 10lb bag of shrimp the size of lobsters when I left. A couple of friends of mine live aboard there also that Ive known for years from back in Tampa.