Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 10:36   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to cj.sternagel
Wink Good Hand Needs Underway Time

Hey Cruisers,

My name is Colin Sternagel. I have just finished my master100 with sailing endorsement class and need to get more underway hours before I send in the application for the license. Related to sailing experience I was in the CG reserve for five years as a boatswain mate. I owned my own 25ft Cal while attending Western Washington University and worked Sept thru October up in the Chukchi sea several years ago for 41 days out at sea.

I also am a outdoor adventure documentary film maker. So if you want some beautiful pictures of yourself, your boat and your adventures I can provide that.

www.suntimefilms.com

SSI divemaster have all my own dive gear too.

Young, 25, travelled internationally independently multipul times. Got lots of good times and fun memories to share. I got one year to get as much experience as I can so please bring me aboard and teach me all you know.

Colin
Old 26-10-2012, 11:16   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Good Hand Needs Underway Time

Have you tried to get work with the local tug services like Crowley or Foss. The down fall is this time of year it is slowing down due to the weather. Or maybe you could join your local USPS (888-367-8777), United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education

With USCG experience you should easily get aboard some of the local boats for day runs.
Old 26-10-2012, 11:31   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to cj.sternagel

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking around as well locally. But don't want to necessarily tie into a job when I really want the water sailing">blue water sailing experience. For the next few months though I may just try and hop on as many day sailors as I can.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:23   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Actually I wasn't suggesting work. I should have mentioned semi-volunteer for the above org's. If all your after is the time to get your 100 Ton, there' s no better way to get the time in, on a part time basis.

Just let'm know you'll do minor work/sea time for minimum wage on 'your availability' and that all you really need is time documented in your log. The time doesn't need to be offshore, just on a boat where the operator keeps a good log. And it doesn't need to be a sailboat. Sailboats differ in so many ways, putting all your time in on just sailboats doesn't matter for the 100Ton.
Old 26-10-2012, 22:40   #5

Boat: 41' Sail

Hey Captain,
I see you've responded to Steve Olson. You both seem like good guys! I often need crew for deliveries. Deliveries are a great way to learn a lot quickly. Had several PNW gigs this year but now it's basically over and attention is shifted to Mehico. Have a few So Cal to SFO trips still to be wrapped up. email may be easier to communicate. if you wish email me: earthakat at msn dot com Also Lat 38 has lots of people looking for crew to Mexico and if it's sea service time you need.. Vett the people carefully. If they provide references, check them. Ask for boat equipment/safety gear list and recent survey if possible. It's tough out there. Cheers Captain!