Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2013, 00:46   #1

German Girl looking for Boat from Central America to USA in late July/earlyAugust

Hi there

I am a 29 year old German girl and I live full time in Costa Rica. I decided to head up to the states in August to visit friends and see some places, and I'd love to go up on a boat. It would be great if it's a "quick" trip up North, but i would also not mind to stop at a few places and taking it a bit "easy".. but I'd need to be up somewhere in the states by the beginning / middle of August. It doesn't matter where the trip would start - ideally in Costa Rica, but somewhere in Central America is fine (I can get there by bus etc and meet the boat).

My sailing/ boating experiences:

I've been living on a 55 ft wooden Sailboat for a few months with a friend last year (2012) - that's when my love and passion for boats and sailing started. I've also been doing small trips with her around the Gulfo Dulce and the Osa Peninsula with the same boat. I've been learning about the boat and helping out with technical issues etc. !

I've been helping out a bit on Sportfishing boats, and been going on daytrips several times. I've been part of the 2012 Blue Marlin World Cup crew in Costa Rica (I was on camera / video/ satellite phone duty).

I've met and made friends with various cruisers in the Golfito/ Puerto Jimenez area, and have had the pleasure to visit boats and learn more about sailing.

Thanks for considering me, and I'd be glad to come aboard.

Janina
Old 27-04-2013, 09:23   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: German Girl looking for Boat from Central America to USA in late July/earlyAugust

Bad time of year that is hurricane season not too many boats do that trip at that time of the year. Especially not with a schedule.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 27-04-2013, 09:58   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: German Girl looking for Boat from Central America to USA in late July/earlyAugust

(Willkommen) Janina,

as Charlie has mentioned, your chances of a boat heading up from the southern portion of the hurricane belt into the heart of it aren't very good in August, most of the boats that head north will do so around now, many Caribbean anchorages empty out the first 2 weeks of May.

Another consideration is that if you enter the USA via a private boat you cannot do so using the visa-waiver program; you must get a US-visa, and that process is not always the easiest as it takes time and costs quite a bit. In addition, they might ask for things like copies of bank statements in Germany and a Fuehrungszeugnis.
Old 27-04-2013, 14:00   #4

Hi Charlie and Zahnsinn,

Thanks for the heads up.. I had no idea it was that bad that time of year
... I also had no idea about the visa - and I just read about it online .. and yea I'd need to get a visitor Visa B.. I have a Fuehrungszeugnis, and money in the bank .. so that should be fine, and I could take care of that.
But the hurricane thing definitely is concerning...probably not too much fun to be stuck in a hurricane out there.

When does the hurricane season end? Maybe I can become crew on my way back down .. I was thinking about October/November to get back to Central America..

Thanks for all the info !!
Old 29-04-2013, 07:44   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

Hurricane season is from June to November. I think boats start heading down the East Coast earlier then that but am not sure. Most boats stop in the Bahamas and don't make it as far as Central America. Good luck finding a boat. Make sure that you are not on a tight schedule as that causes people to leave the harbor when it might not be prudent to do so.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 29-06-2013, 17:29   #6

need a crew in september to take my boat from NYC to the Cheasapeake Bay. Fishing and surfing along the way. Email me if you might be interested. I'm French and the boat can be seen here: www.aboardsweetpea.com