Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 20:29   #1

Boat: Looking for her...
General Question for Captain - Texas to Florida Keys

Hello All~

Just wanted to put a general question out there for mulling over and hopefully some input.

I'm looking to buy a catamaran to live aboard in the 35' range. I'm fairly new to sailing, but have lived on a large power boat before by myself. And I'm looking for a cat that can be sailed single-handed, or can be retrofitted for single-handed sailing at some point. I'll need to bounce back and forth on occasion for work between Key Largo, FL and Kemah, TX. Obviously, I'm not going to feel comfortable trying to sail it by myself the first few trips (if ever.) So my question is, about what would it cost me to hire a captain to make the trek with me? I'm not looking for a hard quote here, just a ball-park figure that I can put in my budget.

Thanks for any help any of you can provide!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: General Question for Captain - Texas to Florida Keys

I am happy to help and will send you a pm.
Old 07-01-2014, 13:56   #3

I don't discuss rates in a forum such as this. Each and every quote is an individual one based on several factors which can change even for the same boat and trip but different circumstances.
However..... having said that I work primarily with catamarans and have done the run you envisage several times on different boats. I work with several brokers who specialize in cats and undoubtedly could help you find the right boat. PM me for more info if you wish.

As for the choice of boat, much will depend on your needs and budget and other factors. Help out by telling us what you think you need in terms of space, equipment, performance etc. A pattern will emerge that points to a suitable boat. As others join in there will be personal input on different manufacturers. My own experience is mainly with Fountaine Pajot and Leopard, but I have also sailed many of the older cats. Gemini, Catalac, Iriquois, Endeavour etc.
Old 07-01-2014, 14:03   #4

Most guys charge anywhere from $100-$300 a day, plus expenses. Often times they'll require a minimum of equipment (EPIRB, life raft, self steering). With friends of friends I've done this stuff for free and just asked for my expenses to be covered. Other times I've charged the full $300 because I was paying another $100/day out of my own pocket towards my crew member who was helping (deliveries).

Some general suggestions:

- Get recent references, a few of them. Call on them. Anyone who's good enough to do this type of work will have solid contacts.

- You don't need a licensed captain in this case, but a USCG master's ticket is generally something I'd look for at minimum. Although not required for this type of work, I'd be suspicious of any "captain" who doesn't have their license.

- Find someone local otherwise you're paying more to have someone flown in (and out) farther locations.

- Talk to the broker where you buy the boat. He can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 07-01-2014, 18:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

I belIeve that a $100 to $300 day range is extremely low. You are talking minimum wage... license or no license your goal should be expertise and ability and not simply price. In any case, and I mean this with all due resPect, if the cost of consulting and instruction to help you find the right boat and to be safe is a factor in your ability to afford a boat, it would makee sense to really assess if you can afford a boat. I day that having been a consultant in these matters for dozens of clients in similar situations.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:40   #6

Hi Again~

I received a few PM's with very helpful information...thank you very much and please do keep them coming. It would be nice to have a handful of people that I can email when the time comes.

What I am looking for~
-An experienced captain. Either experience on a small to medium sized cat or taking that particular passage. It doesn't need to be someone who has experience with the mega yachts. That doesn't hurt, just doesn't really apply here.
-Someone that can provide references when the time comes.
-Willing to give me a general idea of their daily rate. I do understand that any expenses would have to be on me, including needed flights, meals or anything associated with the boat.
-If you have made that particular passage, an idea of how long it took, and under what circumstances? Did all the sailing yourself, hugged the coast and stopped every night? Or did shifts and sailed straight through? And yes, I do realize the boat itself that I end up purchasing is a variable.
-Someone that moves boats for a living, or is an experienced sailor and has flexibility in their "day" job to leave for a trip like this when needed. I would think I can give at least a month's notice when the time comes.

What I'm not looking for~
-Not a crew. The cats I'm looking at will only have one extra guest berth. Any extra berths will be used for storage.
-Not looking for a broker. Have people helping me already with that.
-Please don't PM me and just ask for my phone number. You should provide a valid private email address or be reachable on this forum within a reasonable amount of time, and be willing to discuss this via email until I'm actually ready to set up the trip. This could be months from now, so no reason to try to do a hard sale.
-And absolutely not looking for a date. It's sad that I even had to say that...but if you guys had seen the conversation...all I can do is shake my head. LOL!

Thanks again and Happy Sailing!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
I belIeve that a $100 to $300 day range is extremely low. You are talking minimum wage... license or no license your goal should be expertise and ability and not simply price. In any case, and I mean this with all due resPect, if the cost of consulting and instruction to help you find the right boat and to be safe is a factor in your ability to afford a boat, it would makee sense to really assess if you can afford a boat. I day that having been a consultant in these matters for dozens of clients in similar situations.
It's the rate I've seen the most, and it's about what I've seen charter boat captains make daily for 24 hour runs (plus tips), and what ASA instructors can typically pull in. In Southern California anyway.

People can charge whatever they like, but it's not like the guy is asking to move an 80' catamaran across the Pacific during cyclone season(s). Short hopping a mid 30' foot catamaran during non cyclone season isn't a tough assignment, so more people are qualified to do it.

The charts are dead-on accurate, it's USA coast line, fuel's clean, parts are easy to come by, etc, etc.

One of the best captains I know won't touch anything for less than $500 a day (plus expenses) and a credit card with a high balance that the owner issues with his (the captain's) name on it for expenses. He doesn't get a lot of jobs obviously, but he has a nice shore gig and he wants a lot to break away from his family and day job.

Anyway, the guy asked for price ranges and it's the common range I've seen.
Old 14-01-2014, 10:28   #8

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

Interesting thread considering a boat hasn't been purchased yet. Maybe a bit premature. However, you can find plenty of reasonably good (free) crew that can help you learn to sail and even make the trip south with you. I did just this for a new owner of a Bentaeu First 32.5. I sailed for free, just looking for a fun adventure and helping out a new sailor. We are now friends for life and it was a great experience for him. I hold an expired license which is not as important as the experience. It a straight forward trip but the weather can be on the nose the whole way so although we wanted to do a straight shot, we ended up running the panhandle until we got a favorable northerly to shove us down.

My only caution is that sailing the oilfields is down right scary. Make sure you are capable of overnight sails standing watch every second while in those areas. We almost got run down twice by service craft middle of the night.

Other than that avoid the safety fairways and have fun.
Old 17-01-2014, 20:15   #9

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
I know of a well equipped Wharram and a fella that may be induced to help you sail it. Have you a model in mind?

It is in Baytown.
Old 18-01-2014, 05:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Too many sAilOrs tHink the Wind is free and therefore ask else should be free in their boat including actually learNing how to do it. Does anyone get to the posit to but a large boat by working for peanuts or by working where he or she only redirects one hundred to three hundred per day. A marina can cost that per day and a mechaNic can cost that for an hour or two so why should my or anyone else's expertise be valued so little? ?? This foolishness will almost always end up being costly in one way or another. This poster wants a lot if advice and hand holding but is not willing to pay for it
he will get what v be pays for and u have seen it a dozen times. . Hundreds in fact.
Old 18-01-2014, 05:06   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I find it silly this guy is more interested in a Captain than the boat he hasn't bought yet...

If you hire a Captain you can expect to pay from $300-$500 a day. In the Gulf of Mexico, the prices are mostly on the lower end and on the west/east coasts on the higher end.

Someone suggested $100 dollars a day, which is the low end of a deckhand rate not for a Captain.

Also plan on paying for food, a return airline/bus ticket and a flat daily rate for mechanical delays.

Make sure you clarify what is expected of this person as far as work conditions... Cleaning, cooking and watches. If you want this person top instruct along the way you can expect to pay extra.

Check references and do not hire someone to Captain you vessel who is not USCG
licensed.

You will want them placed on your insurance policy as a Licensed Captain, in case something happens with them on the boat and most insurance companies will not do this without a License. It covers you as well as him!

Old 18-01-2014, 05:50   #12
Marine Service Provider

Jeremiason is absolutely correct. Triggerfish lays out ask the qualities he wants but tHinks that person is not worth a whole lot. And yes. . No boat at this point. I doubt he can really afford this boat if deterMiNing what it will cost to learn to sail it is such an important factor in buying the boat. .. remember the rigging always costs more than the hull. ... and the boat can always take more than the crew so cheap buys you little. .....
Old 21-01-2014, 15:44   #13

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
....... and the boat can always take more than the crew so cheap buys you little. .....
And then we have the "Be Good Too"

High dollar boat and captain
Old 22-01-2014, 09:57   #14

Hmmm, well, not sure why I stopped getting notified when there were posts on this thread.

Anyways...to Paul Annapolis. I thought you went away. I'm sick of your posts and PM's and am reporting you to the moderators. You are making yourself look so unprofessional with your aggressive behavior. And while I'm sure you are the finest of captains out there, I have politely told you more than once I was not interested in your services. Is this how you treat all potential clients that turn you down? Attack them publicly? If I could afford you in the future, I simply wouldn't hire you because of this ongoing BS. So please stop already!

Jeremiason....thank you for the other good information, but no, it's not silly to ask these questions. I had no idea before I posted if it would cost me $200 or $2000 a day to hire someone...and I need to plan a budget. Just because someone has to plan a budget does not mean they are too broke to buy the boat and afford it's upkeep. And I may need to move the boat 2-3 times a year...so yes, I'm trying to budget for that.

I have received other PM's from Captains that can handle the job, and offer rates in my price range. Thank you for those and please keep them coming in case you guys are booked when the time comes.

Cap Erict3...thank you for pointing out a couple of boats to me. I did see that one in Baytown, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Will reply to your PM.
Old 20-05-2014, 16:00   #15

Thank you for most of the replies. The boat I found is already were I need it to be, so I won't be needing a captain soon. I'll delete this posting all together if I can figure out how.

Tags
captain, florida, florida keys, texas