Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 08:53   #1

Boat: None currently.
From near Cancun south

I'm looking for someone to crew with me on my 37' Polynesian Concept sailing catamaran beginning in Puerto Morelos (20 miles south of Cancun) Mexico and continuing south.
Stops are flexible, but will likely include Cozumel, Punta Allen, Belize, Utila, Roatan, Costa Rica, Panama and maybe Rio Dulce.

Taking it one day at a time.

Craig
Old 25-01-2015, 10:00   #2

Re: From near Cancun south

Hi Craig: I am currently in the Rio Dulce, I would be interested in flying up to Cancun and joining you as crew. Can you tell me a little more about your boat, your plans and your exspectations. Dan
Old 25-01-2015, 11:50   #3

Hello Dan,
My boat is a recently refurbished 1971 CSK/Schock 37' Polynesian Concept sailing catamaran. It's not a sexy condomaran, but it's safe, clean and fast.
It's fiberglass with a balsa core and it's very light (~3 tons). It draws about 2', which allows access to very shallow areas. It can sleep 7 (more if they're kids), but that would be tight. It has running water (manual pump faucets), exterior solar shower, and composting bucket toilets. You would have a hull to yourself. It has quite a large saloon with galley (small fridge). Solar power w/inverter and rain catchment.

My plans are pretty loose, although I would like to head on to Cozumel this week (I might go single-handed). I will probably stay 2-3 days at each stop along the way, depending on weather and how interesting the stop is. I intend to snorkel, kayak and explore.

Ideally, I would like the crew person to be financially self-supporting, but that's not cast in concrete.

It would be great if the crew person was familiar with the location of reefs and anchorages from here down.

I use Navionics on my tablet for navigation, and so far (Key West, Cuba, Isla Majures, Puerto Morelos) it's been pretty accurate.

Let me know if I missed anything!

Craig
Old 25-01-2015, 13:21   #4

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

Greetings,

An experienced (cat) sailor, I have 4 weeks to burn before 1 April and would be interested in hearing about safety equipment aboard, fuel and water management (perhaps not an issue if regularly in port), leg lengths and watchkeeping plans.

There is more about me on 'crew available' post - DiveVAC.

cheers

Dave
Old 25-01-2015, 16:56   #5

Hello Dave,
Safety Equipment:
VHF w/AIS receiver
Delorme InReach
12' Porta-Bote w/3hp Yamaha
Drogue
Life jackets, flares, etc.

Fuel:
36 gallon gas capacity

Water:
Approximately 30 gallon fresh water capacity
Portable, manual desalinator
Rain catchment

Mostly day sailing with an occasional overnight (if necessary)
Split watch as desired

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Craig
Old 25-01-2015, 22:02   #6

Top of the morning to ya.

Morning Craig,
Sounds like an awesome adventure. This part of the world I have never seen.
Having read through your posts and the boat description, I'm loving your train of thought and time frame.

Basic bio of myself,
42yr old Australian,
I am part of the solution, not part of the problem!!
just sold my restaurant and am taking 18-24 months off. (financially sound)
Sailing experience: Blue water 150 hours
Race sailing 600 hours
Sea sickness not to date!!!

I am in Australia at the moment, I leave 31 January for L.A. I am there till the 11th Feb.
After the 11th, I have 18months!!!

Kieran O'Connor
k m a n _ o c o n n o r (at) h o t m a I l . c o m
Old 26-01-2015, 00:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDC View Post
Hello Dan,
My boat is a recently refurbished 1971 CSK/Schock 37' Polynesian Concept sailing catamaran. It's not a sexy condomaran, but it's safe, clean and fast.
It's fiberglass with a balsa core and it's very light (~3 tons). It draws about 2', which allows access to very shallow areas. It can sleep 7 (more if they're kids), but that would be tight. It has running water (manual pump faucets), exterior solar shower, and composting bucket toilets. You would have a hull to yourself. It has quite a large saloon with galley (small fridge). Solar power w/inverter and rain catchment.

My plans are pretty loose, although I would like to head on to Cozumel this week (I might go single-handed). I will probably stay 2-3 days at each stop along the way, depending on weather and how interesting the stop is. I intend to snorkel, kayak and explore.

Ideally, I would like the crew person to be financially self-supporting, but that's not cast in concrete.

It would be great if the crew person was familiar with the location of reefs and anchorages from here down.

I use Navionics on my tablet for navigation, and so far (Key West, Cuba, Isla Majures, Puerto Morelos) it's been pretty accurate.

Let me know if I missed anything!

Craig

I would love to discuss this further with you
1 Week is too short notice but i may fit your requirements for future dates and am available for up to 6 months at a time.

gus@proshotphoto.com
Old 26-01-2015, 16:43   #8

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

thanks -sounds very promising and thus am seriously considering.
Looks like about 650 miles as the crow flies. Thinking probably more like 850-900 coastal cruising. Contemplating the latter 2 weeks of february and first two weeks of march. Can you estimate approx where you'll be at that point and pinpoint a couple of international airports for me for that time frame?

Cheers
Dave
Old 26-01-2015, 17:14   #9

my email address is gus@proshotphoto.com

If your replying to me
Old 27-01-2015, 07:56   #10

Re: Top of the morning to ya.

Hi Kieran,
I'm not sure where I'll be, but send me a note when you're available and I'll see if we can work something out.

Thanks!

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranoconnor View Post
Morning Craig,
Sounds like an awesome adventure. This part of the world I have never seen.
Having read through your posts and the boat description, I'm loving your train of thought and time frame.

Basic bio of myself,
42yr old Australian,
I am part of the solution, not part of the problem!!
just sold my restaurant and am taking 18-24 months off. (financially sound)
Sailing experience: Blue water 150 hours
Race sailing 600 hours
Sea sickness not to date!!!

I am in Australia at the moment, I leave 31 January for L.A. I am there till the 11th Feb.
After the 11th, I have 18months!!!

Kieran O'Connor
k m a n _ o c o n n o r (at) h o t m a I l . c o m
Old 27-01-2015, 08:11   #11

Hello Dave,
It's hard for me to estimate where I'll be at any particular time. There are airports scattered along the route (Belize, Guatemala City, Roatan, Costa Rica, Panama.)
I'm not sure how we would plan a rendezvous and it complicates things. I have quite a few folks interested, so I'll see what comes together and let you know.

Thanks!

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divevac View Post
thanks -sounds very promising and thus am seriously considering.
Looks like about 650 miles as the crow flies. Thinking probably more like 850-900 coastal cruising. Contemplating the latter 2 weeks of february and first two weeks of march. Can you estimate approx where you'll be at that point and pinpoint a couple of international airports for me for that time frame?

Cheers
Dave
Old 30-01-2015, 08:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDC View Post
I'm looking for someone to crew with me on my 37' Polynesian Concept sailing catamaran beginning in Puerto Morelos (20 miles south of Cancun) Mexico and continuing south.
Stops are flexible, but will likely include Cozumel, Punta Allen, Belize, Utila, Roatan, Costa Rica, Panama and maybe Rio Dulce.

Taking it one day at a time.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-03-2015, 22:03   #13

do you have your crew? where are you located now? happy sailiing!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54   #14

I'm set for now.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 15:35   #15

Hi Craig, I am a Dive Instructor with basic sailing experience having done a few three week live aboards. I am currently in Punta Gorda Belize and have a month to kill while I wait on a Cayman work visa. Would be looking on going from Punta Gorda (or somewhere in Belize) to La Cieba, Honduras, or Roatan or Utila. Please let me know if your interested. Cheers, DiverDux

Tags
cancun