Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 18:25   #1

from French Polynesia / South Pacific onward

Looking for a volunteer crew position on a sailing vessel in French Polynesia or elsewhere in the South Pacific. Available end of May until late August.

Currently crewing for one of the PPJ vessels from Panama to the Marquesas. We will arrive at Hiva Oa in the last week of May, and the crew will disembark when the owner's family joins. One other crew (female, 30s, 5k miles including one ocean crossing, RYA coastal skipper certified) may be available as well.

Would like to continue on westward, preferably to Australia or New Zealand, but open to any options, including eastbound or up to Hawaii. Willing to fly to most of the Coconut Milk Run islands to meet up with the right vessel. Crewing on another vessel starting late August from Turkey -> Caribbean, so only available until then.

Personal:
- 39yo male citizen of USA, just over two years into indefinite world travel with lots of sailing.
- Clear unrestricted passport expiring 2020.
- Fluent native English speaker, enough Spanish to get by, bits of French & others
- Nonsmoker. Nondrinker on passage.
- Get along with anyone and everyone, can handle high stress situations, no seasickness. Follows orders.
- Allergic to nuts. Can be around them but not eat them. Allergic to all cats & most dogs. Bummer, because I love dogs.
- No other medical issues

Professional:
- Semi-retired. Occasional investing, some management consulting.
- Internet / mobile / finance / program management background

Experience:
- 9400 sailing miles (7600 ocean, 1800 coastal)
- Worst weather experience was 35' seas with 45+ kt winds crossing Gulf Stream in a Hanse 400
- Mostly blue water passages, including ARC Europe in 2014. Lots of USVI sailing as well. Full passage list available if interested, including dates, vessels, captains, mileage.
- Vessel experience predominantly 40-60ft sailboats, but OK with smaller.
- ASA certified 101/103/104, ISCO certified misc
- Red Cross first aid & CPR certified (expired, will renew if desired)
- Basic mechanical knowledge

Knowledge:
- All the basic offshore skills (weather routing, maintaining course, watches, sail trimming, navigation, anchoring, cooking, provisioning, VHF/SSB, radar/AIS, knots, engine maintenance, etc)
- Advanced computer knowledge
- Lots of non-sailing knowledge. Computers, internet, finance, behavioral psychology, valuation, etc

Gear:
- Offshore PDF / safety harness, tether, foulies, headlamps, etc

References:
- Lots of recent sailing references available from last two years, mostly blue water passages.

Misc:
- I'm a safety guy when it comes to sailing. Always default to making the safer decision, like reefing early, proactively contacting other vessels to make sure they see us, giving very wide berths, avoiding night sailing near hazards, etc. I'm definitely a cruiser rather than a racer.
- I will assist with deliveries, but preference is sailing with owners who are sailing because they enjoy sailing.
- Happy to share operating expenses, sign a crew contract, background check, etc.

Send me a PM or reply here with contact info if interested and I'll share email / cell / Facebook / Skype details for further correspondence.

First three weeks of May will be the Galapagos -> Marquesas leg so may take a bit to respond if you PM then.
Old 28-05-2015, 19:54   #2

Re: from French Polynesia / South Pacific onward

Panama -> Marquesas (via Ecuador) successfully completed.

Good crossing. 23 days from Bahia de Caraquez to the Marquesas. We caught 16 fish, mostly mahi. Smooth ride for the most part, came across on 5d and got an extra knot most of the way.

There were a few boats in Hiva Oa looking for crew. A couple still are.

I am no longer available for the rest of the year, should be available again in January 2016.

Tags
enc, French Polynesia, south pacific