Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 14:38   #1

Boat: Biscay, Ketch, 36'
Freeport Bahamas to Green Green Cove Springs

I might have bought a boat at auction in Freeport Bahamas a Moody 40, going over on Monday July 4th to survey / confirm boat is as described; if so completing sale and paperwork. I'm looking for one or two people that have some sailing experience / must be able to pay there own way. Will need passports, coming over via ferry from Fort Lauderdale to Freeport about $200 dollars, it's 3.5 hour ride on fast cat ferry.

Expect we would leave current boat owners dock about July 9th. I definitely will wait for correct Gulf Stream weather, this might take a few days or week or more, if delayed will cruise local islands around Grand Bahama island. Crew should have minimum 2 weeks free time just in case "just guessing".

Currently preliminary plan is to cruise from Freeport to Cape Canaveral 175 Miles, or straight to Jacksonville 318 miles. The third option go straight across to West Palm 87 miles, then hug Florida east coast to Jacksonville all depending on weather etc...

Completing trip / down Saint Johns river to Green Cove Springs the DYI boatyard about 50 miles. Where I'lll preparing boat for year long trip to islands. I was planing to single hand as done in distant past, but smarter move is to have assistance, and should make trip more interesting. Definitely worth discussing.

Thoughts any interest?

I know NutZ buying boat sight unseen... Haven't Yet!
Thanks....Matt
Old 02-07-2016, 06:31   #2

Re: Freeport Bahamas to Green Green Cove Springs

I just did Freeport (West End) to Jax last week. I would not go to Stuart because of the toxic algae issues there right now. That nightware will get into your boat! Head straight for Ft. Pierce instead. Because of another seperate algae bloom offshore 10 miles out from the coast, hug the coastline to Jax to avoid algae issues - which made me sneeze my eyes burn. Believe me, you will thank me for that piece of info!

Also, when hitting the inlet at Jax be wary of the Navy who has been on a rampage lately at the inlet claiming exercises. At times they are making the area extremely difficult to nav. Best to get to the inlet as early as possible, like sunrise, to avoid those issues.

Watch the tide in the St Johns - if you go against the tide to GCSprings you won't get over 3 knots and it will take half the day. ALSO: the Main Street Bridge is on a limited opening schedule during the week due to construction and will only open twice a day, which could seriously impede your schedule. Main St bridge is normal on weekends - for now. Keep checking schedule online.

FYI - troll a kingfish rig w/ribbon fish/eel while on the coastline from Ft Pierce to Jax - you will get bites!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:23   #3

Boat: Biscay, Ketch, 36'

Great Info...Thank you
Old 02-07-2016, 11:07   #4

Might be faster and cheaper to fly.
FLL to FPO
About $139 on Sunday and $128 on Monday via Bahamas Air.
Subject to change at any moment though.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Fishybiz,

If I understand your request, you might buy a used boat in Freeport and want experienced sailors to work as unpaid crew for a delivery (IE not hanging out for a few weeks to vacation as part of the deal) and also pay their own expenses? On top of that this will be a used boat, totally new to you, condition unknown so might involve working on the boat to prepare it for the trip.

I guess you might find a taker but generally if you're looking for unpaid crew for a straight delivery trip one at least pays the expenses.
Old 02-07-2016, 15:19   #6

Boat: islandpacket

I've had nothing but problems when I have helped a new to them boat. Bad fuel bad radio unworthy chart plotter, unknown boat. No parts, bad food and quick tempers. I'll help but don't get all pissy that you dont know your boat and want me to fix it,clean it tell you how to do it and expect me to pay for it. This will not be a vacation. You need help, not me. So you have to give something for my time. Best of luck.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:23   #7

Send a message via MSN to marvin coleby Send a message via Yahoo to marvin coleby Send a message via Skype™ to marvin coleby

You got straight with crew?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

This sounds like a great opportunity for someone with boat experience and McGiever skills --- if there are tools and spares on the boat.

If not will take at least 2 weeks to get spares and debug boat. Just got done waiting almost a week to get a part in Bermuda. Getting parts offshore is not easy, even with FedEx.

Getting crew to work on a boat, site unseen by even the owner is dicey. Candidly, the rig COULD be in good shape, or not. The engine could start and run, or not.

The odds are if the boat was auctioned it had been sitting awhile. Are the tanks going to be cleaned?

All that said, I love crazy. Unfortunately, I am committed for July. But would love to discuss trying to catch this falling knife in August with you.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael

Tags
Bahamas, freeport