Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 19:08   #1

Former USMC

Hello my name is Jason gabel and im looking to get some open water experiance toward my captains license. My contract with the marine corps just recently ended where i was a squad leader so responsiblity is not an issue as well as reliability. I am qualified as a class 1 swimmer complete with basic water survival and human rescue and recovery as well as advanced first aid and trauma treatment. I am now living on my 27' hunter in wrightsville beach nc and sail give or take every day so while i am no sailing expert by any means i do know my way around a boat. I am available immediately. Destination duration and vessel type are of no consequence.
Old 24-07-2012, 19:48   #2

Boat: 31' Southern Cross
Re: Former USMC

I AM ALSO A FORMER MARINE THOUGH BACK IN THE 60'S. I HAVE A 31' CE RYDER SOUTHERN CROSS WHICH IS PRESENTLY IN BEAUFORT NC. I WILL BE CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN IN NOVEMBER, HOPEFULLY FOR MOST OF THE WINTER. SAILING IS NEW TO ME THOUGH BOATING IS NOT. THE BOAT IS WELL EQUIPPED THOUGH I WILL BE DOING SOME WORK ON IT IN OCTOBER.
I AM MARRIED BUT MY WIFE HATES BOATS SO I GENERALLY GO ALONE. I'M PRETTY LAID BACK AND LIKE A GOOD TIME BUT WOULD ENJOY SOME COMPETENT COMPANY.
I WAS IN 1ST FORCE RECON AND THOUGH I HAVE A GRAND DAUGHTER ABOUT YOUR AGE I AM PHYSICALLY FIT AS ANY GOOD FORMER MARINE SHOULD BE REGARDLESS OF AGE.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED GET BACK TO ME.
SEMPER FI
JIM
Old 26-07-2012, 07:00   #3

Boat: Hatteras 61 CMY, Hatteras 58 Yachtfish, Eastern 21 CC
Re: Former USMC

Jason,

This may be a lucky day for both of us. I hold a USCG 100T license sail and power. I have been sailing big boats since the early 70s throughout the east coast, Bahamas, and Caribean. I have a lot of experience to pass on to someone eager to learn.

I am presently on trhe Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec having gotten here from Annapolis via the Hudson River, the New York Barge Canal, the St. Lawrence Seaway and river. I have visited Montreal and Quebec City, etc. My plan is to head next to Newfoundland's west and south coasts and then the Bras d'Or Lakes of Nova Scotia, the coast of Nova Scotia, and then finally make my way back to Annapolis either coastwise through Maine and Massachusetts or with a couple of offshore jumps, depending on weather and time.

That was my plan. But my crew member (recruited through this forum in April) had to head back to Texas due to a business emergency and to collect some debts (I beleive this to be true). Undfortunately he has been incommunicado since he got to Texas. I have given him every opportunity to be responsive but given his personality he may have gone too far in his dept collections and be unable to respond (former Army; not Marine).

Regardless, I cannot keep sitting here as the seasonal window for Newfoundland is only so wide. I am at the appropriate jumping off point for the next leg in terms of location and time. Would you like to come along?

Oh, did I mention that my boat is a 61 foot Hatteras cockpit motor yacht in very nice condition and comfort.

This is not a paid position (both insurance and US Customs issues make that inadvisable) but I will pay all boat and food expenses and your travel costs both ways. I would like to stay out until about the 15th of October but I am felxible. If you cannot make the entire trip that might work as it would buy me time to find another person for other legs.

Please give me a call at 202-359-0781 or email me at michael@mkanellc.com to discuss this further.