Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 23:24   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
For Old-School Cruiser . . .

based out of south florida but looking to crew for an old school cruiser out of anywhere, looking to learn the basics of electronicless navigation (dr+celestial) kerosene lighting, engineless cruising... want to get a$$deep in it so i can do it on my own, you tell me when and where...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:32   #2
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
bit of a masochist aren't you? fyi - a lot of the new 'stuff' can save your butt, since it's far more accurate than old school technology. Not saying it isn't valuable to know how to use a sextant, etc., but I'd rather be safe with the technology AND a backup if it fails, than struggle with just the sextant.
And, fyi, a lot of these 'engineless' cruisers will take a tow anytime it's offered to get in and out of harbours....in my book, that makes their whole position a bit hypocritical. If you're gonna do it and then brag about it, then do it ALL the way.
Still, whatever floats your boat....

Old 25-01-2011, 18:23   #3
AJS

Boat: Stevens 47
there is a great deal to be said for cruising in a more simple and ultimately more satisfying way by dropping the reliance on electronics. I prfeer to see them as a convenience toys and not the main tools of cruising .... so good luck in your quest and continue to drop the pressure
Old 25-01-2011, 19:12   #4

I'm with you. That would be a great lesson to learn. I kinda lean toward a GPS for navigation, but our captain, who is licensed to captain anything up to 100 tons, can sail the Gulf of Mexico with a chart, a compass and the hair on his arms....something to be said for that.
Old 25-01-2011, 19:43   #5
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Huh.... who needs wind speed instruments.... I F#*t.... if I can smell it its not time to reef...

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
Old 12-02-2011, 14:23   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
My biggest issue is with the people that dump tremendous amounts of money into high tech gizmos and rely on them. I try and say "If the failure of any component or system put's your life at risk, you should not have it or at least have a back up...and if the back up is more reliable than what it is backing up, why have it" I believe in the KISS principle, I sailed from Bermuda to Norfolk with no electrical, all sextant and dead reconing in 22-40kt winds for 7 days...we were spot on. I have an engine and some high tech stuff on board, but don't rely on it.
I have an "old-school" crusiing boat (1936 Atkin's), try and keep as simple as possible, but there is a reason why "modern convienences" are called convienent, also a good engine can save your (or someone elses) boat.
Old 12-02-2011, 14:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
There are only 2 things you need to remember about how to make a sailboat move.
1 If the wind is behind the beam, the boat is being pushed by the wind.
2 If the wind is ahead of the beam the mast and sails are like an aircraft wing and are generating "lift". This is converted into forward motion by the resistance of the keel.

GPS,SSB,VMG,SOG,COG,A/P,CPU,ECU,NMEA0183/2000,RADAR,LWL,LBP,LOD,COE,CLR are much lower priority in the early stages, but knowing what these meen makes life easier later on.
Old 15-02-2011, 12:20   #8

Boat: inland kittiwake 24' and inland Pearson 32'
I like it man! Keeping it real with the old school sailing. My grandfather sailed all over the place and refused until the day he died any modern convenience. (he also refused to step foot in a plane, driving a diesel rabbit anywhere and everywhere in the u.s.) New tech is convenient and safer in most respects but I'm of the school of thought that says, there are very few basic necessities to know and learn to get a boat to go, and if those fail, its a fundamental failure and no amount of modern tech can help you with that. I think everyone should try it at least once, man,water,wind and boat. All imho
Old 15-02-2011, 13:11   #9

Boat: grampian 26
New tech makes boating available to the masses and those who don't want to put the effort into learning the basics.
Old 15-02-2011, 15:13   #10

Boat: inland kittiwake 24' and inland Pearson 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
New tech makes boating available to the masses and those who don't want to put the effort into learning the basics.
+++1 agreed
Old 15-02-2011, 15:31   #11

Boat: In the market for a 35'-40'er in FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Huh.... who needs wind speed instruments.... I F#*t.... if I can smell it its not time to reef...
you are a wise man
Old 18-02-2011, 21:01   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Contessa OOD34
Why bother? You could buy a handful of gps's for the price of a sextant. Kerosene is probably more expensive than led lights as for the engine you dont need to use the one that will be in a boat. Hope you take your horse and cart to meet this potential boat and throw your computer away you wont need the internet where your heading. Maybe take a pigeon. Haha
Old 18-02-2011, 22:39   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
bunter--have you ever used kerosene lighting inside a boat with a nice teakwood interior and kerosene lights??? is a lot nicer to be in than a white plastic molded clorox bottle with led lighting. using a bit of tradition in sailing never hurt anyone. makes it a lot nicer. some of the newer white shiny no wood boats are most ugly and soulless. there are many designs of boats-- for good reason-- some folks donot like the traditional look with warmth of wood and kerosene lighting. some folks dont like the white molded led stuff--- each to his /her own.
Old 18-02-2011, 23:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Contessa OOD34
Hi zee, I sure have and apart from the warm glow I dont think the smelly kero and the smoke is worth it. Just my own opinion. Have you ever tried going through a reef pass without an engine with adverse winds and/or currents? I understand trying to save money but there are alot of other factors to consider like the replacement cost of your vessel if you loose it for trying to skimp on even a few hundred dollars for a small outboard. Sure it can be done as it was for hundreds of years but why would you? Boats are so cheap these days. Maybe if you dont have enough funds, crew for someone who does. Celestial navigation is a great skill for anyone to have and to play with during good weather but a $100+ handheld should be on every boat. Just my 2 cents. Do you have an engine in your boat?
Old 19-02-2011, 02:43   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i use liquid paraffin in mine. is way better. costs a bit more. rofl. i have a formosa 41/ would be strange with an outboard on back. i have a good perkins in it. lol. and radar and a few other incidentals also.

Tags
cruiser