Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 07:43   #1

For Atlantic crossing from Europe anytime Oct. to Dec.

Hi,

I'm looking to help crew on a boat crossing the Atlantic from Europe this season. I am currently traveling in Europe, and I can meet you at any port of choice, including the Canaries. I'm available anytime starting in October. If needed I am happy to arrive early and help clean, scrape the hull, or do whatever else needs done to prepare for the voyage.

I have some sailing experience but I'm still a beginner, happy to follow orders and learn more. I have done two offshore passages (850 total nm), including one weeklong bluewater passage from the Bahamas to Maryland.

I feel comfortable tinkering with engines and electronics and I have previous work experience in an auto shop and construction jobs. On my last passage I helped scrape the hull, trace an electrical outage, and repair some broken toilet plumbing.

I am a 26 year old American male. I have a degree in economics and I previously worked as an environmental economist (don't know what that is?, I'll explain on the boat). I have been traveling for the last year across parts of Asia and Europe and now I'm looking to return to the US, hopefully by Christmas.

I am an easygoing, likeable, and dependable guy. I am hard working, take initiative as necessary, and learn quickly. I cook, clean, and I'm never late for my shift on watch. I enjoy conversation as much as solitude and I understand well what it takes to live together on a small boat. I have no dietary restrictions, I drink occasionally, and, though I don't smoke, I don't mind those who do. I also speak French moderately well and have my PADI diving certificate.

If you're interested, I can send along more information as well as references from the captains of my two previous offshore passages. I'm also happy to chat over the phone or Skype.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Matt
Old 23-08-2015, 02:41   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 43
Re: For Atlantic crossing from Europe anytime Oct. to Dec.

Hey Matt
I am going to sail from South Africa to Caribbeans starting by October 2015 and need a sail mate just like you.But I guess you can not return to US by Christmas with me.
If you still get interested we can discuss details.
Memo
Old 25-08-2015, 00:33   #3

Hi Memo,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm just looking for boats leaving from Europe or there abouts.

Matt
Old 26-08-2015, 06:51   #4

Just an update that I am now available any time starting in September.
Old 26-08-2015, 07:06   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You won't be finding many boats going across the Atlantic in October. You're right in the middle of hurricane season.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-08-2015, 07:34   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

You have at least two rallies and a half going that way before christmas. They are the ARC (about 300 boats, from Gran Canaria), the Atlantic Odyssey (from Lanzarote) and the other one (Maxi yachts, from Tenerife). BUT they all land in the Eastern Caribbean, from where you still have a long ride to the US (or you just fly home from there).

There are also boats not related to any of the rallies that go about the same time - many with a goal of being in the Caribbean for christmas.

To catch a ride with one of the above it is best to hang around as this gives you the chance to meet the skippers face to face. With so many days at sea many cruisers believe there must be a personality click before they take you on for their ride. Given the stories of multiple fails I have heard ... this is exactly the case ... unless you want to have the misadventure of your life ;-)

If you are on the continent, just jump on a Ryanair flight to here and stroll the docks in late October and early November. There are ferries between the islands so you can easily move from one rally den to another.

Good luck,
b.
Canary Islands
Old 27-08-2015, 00:40   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 45.1

Hi Matt,

We're just waiting on an answer from a potential crew member for our Atlantic crossing in early/mid November, if he doesn't work out we'll be looking for a crew member. We should find out in the next week or so.
We are a relatively young Australian couple (38) and have been cruising the Med for the last six months. We are at the start of a 3 year cruise back to Australia via the Caribbean and Pacific.

Our boat is a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1 equipped with everything needed for Bluewater passages, including water maker, genset, life raft, etc.

We're currently in Sardinia and plan to be in Gibraltar mid October, so could potentially meet up there.

Anyway, will let you know as soon as I hear back from the other potential.

Cheers,

Simon

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52   #8

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

I am in the Azores. I intend to sail to Antigua in the few days.
Old 02-09-2015, 14:58   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshe View Post
I am in the Azores. I intend to sail to Antigua in the few days.
How are you going to monitor the weather?

b.
Old 20-10-2015, 05:22   #10

Just an update that I'm now in the Canary Islands and I'm still looking to help with an Atlantic passage.

About a month ago I arranged to meet a captain at Las Palmas, but when I got here he had already found all the crew he wanted (unfortunately without telling me) and so now I'm back to searching.

Thanks,
Matt

Tags
atlantic crossing, Europe, rope