Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 16:23   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Florida to Panama

Hi fellow cruisers! I plan to move my boat to Panama by the end of December. I hope to leave from South Florida by mid November, but only after threat of hurricanes is over. I am currently in NC, but can pick up crew in Florida. I live aboard alone, and would like to have 2 additional crew on board for this trip.

Route is likely to be from Ft. Lauderdale, through the Bahamas, through the windward passage, a stop in Jamaica, possible stops at Isla De Providencia and the San Blas. I want to make some stops, so it won't just be a delivery grind, we'll have time for having fun ashore.

The boat is a 1982 a CS36T, a 36ft sloop. I have cruised on her in the FL keys and through the Bahamas. She's equipped with solar and wind power, a 30hp Westerbeke diesel, autopilot, Garmin chartplotter, 100 gallon fresh water tanks, propane stove with oven, etc.

I pay all expenses while on the boat, and may be able to help with transportation to or from the boat if you aren't coming from too far away. PM me with any questions about me or the boat.

Ciao, Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 12-09-2011, 19:19   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Re: Florida to Panama.

Small world. I. I'm also in NC planning the same trip, but found rot in my main mast and will probably not be leaving Florida until after hurricane season next year. I will however move this boat to Florida before it gets stupidly cold here, which it does. My crew bailed on me (got a job), so I'll be going it alone with my dog, Sailor.
Old 12-09-2011, 19:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

happy to help out,can pay my own flights ex us cheers atoll
Old 13-09-2011, 05:19   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Last year we left Miami, and sailed south just off the banks. When we got a wee bit of wind change. We sailed to Nurse Cay Channel. From there the Windless Passage, NO WIND, around the east end of Jamaica, and head head winds directly from Panama for 4 days, that was a shcok! I had hoped for a sleigh ride, and a couple of 200 mile days+.......i2f
Old 13-09-2011, 12:32   #5
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
head winds directly from Panama for 4 days, that was a shcok! I had hoped for a sleigh ride, and a couple of 200 mile days+.......i2f
Yikes! I hope that doesn't happen to me.
Margo

Old 13-09-2011, 12:36   #6
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
Small world. I'm also in NC planning the same trip, ... so I'll be going it alone with my dog, Sailor.
So are you interested in making a dry run with me this winter?

Margo

Old 13-09-2011, 19:02   #7

Re: Florida to Panama

Hey there
my name is Isaac im 23 year old australian traveling around, id love to lend a hand if youv got a spot for me, i dont smoke and i should be in ft. lauderdale late oct early nov and im not to bad of a cook

thanks Isaac

isaac_likes_sleep@hotmail.com
Old 13-09-2011, 19:35   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

flysci and vintageray--buddy boat!!!!!! and find each other crew----
Old 13-09-2011, 19:37   #9

Hey there
my name is Isaac im 23 year old australian traveling around, id love to lend a hand if youv got a spot for me, i dont smoke and i should be in ft. lauderdale late oct early nov and im not to bad of a cook

thanks Isaac

isaac_likes_sleep@hotmail.com
Old 13-09-2011, 19:59   #10

Boat: Tartan 34C

Margo --

If you don't stop and see me in Wrightsville Beach, I will be sad and hurt! Some folks here prepping to go south - I'm looking at 11/1 to head to FL. Can buddy boat, fo sho.

John
Old 13-09-2011, 20:14   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

someone grab this isaac guy.....he needs to sail with ye.....
welcome, isaac....
Old 13-09-2011, 20:17   #12

I for sure want to be out of here before it gets stupidly cold here, which it does in Nov. or so. Kind of shooting for Nov.1 as a departure date. I found rot in my main mast and the local wood guru who I had all lined up to repair it for a very reasonable price has injured his back and cannot work. No-one else around here qualified to repair it. I'm continuing to try to locate someone and meanwhile have got my bottom painted, replaced some thru hulls and valves, had a new shaft built, replaced the shaft log and redid the stuffing box. Back in the water now and replacing parts of the deck. At the end of Sept., I'm going to stop work on the carpentry stuff and concentrate on getting the engine, 12 volt system and electronics ready for the trip. If the mast isn't repaired, I'll build supports and haul the spars horizontally to Florida. Kind of looking at Reynold's Yacht center at Green Cove Springs as a place to finish the refit. I was planning on going to Green Cove Springs Marina, but Crystal, the manager there emailed me yesterday and says that their dock has been condemned and she doesn't have a slip for me. Reynold's might be better because it's closer to town and I'm probably leaving my pickup here, so may be afoot while there.
Long answer to a short question, but if you're asking if we might run down the ICW together, absolutely, if I'm ready to go when you pass by here.
Where are you looking to tie up in Panama? I'm pretty well set on basing my boat at Careening Cay Marina, Bocas de Toro.
PM me if you'd like to yack.
Old 14-09-2011, 06:49   #13

Boat: Southern Cross 31 1976

Hi, Jim here, I would Like to talk to you about the trip south.I live in Charleston,I am planning a trip on my boat and would like the experience of going with you. `Jim
Old 14-09-2011, 07:35   #14

Margo, looks like you might become the Commador of an Armada headed south.
Old 14-09-2011, 15:41   #15
Eternal Member

Hi all.

Not all that interested in buddy boating. I like to keep my independence as to when to go and when to wait. Though knowing others are on the same path and finding each other in the anchorage would be terrific!

Vintageray, I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you are planning to postpone your trip to Panama until next year, and thought you might like to practice this year on someone else's boat.

To anyone following this thread, especially anyone planning the same trip, I would love to talk about the best route, and recommended stops along the way.

Margo

Tags
florida, Panama, panama