Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 16:06   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Re: Florida to Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
someone grab this isaac guy.....he needs to sail with ye.....
welcome, isaac....
Oh Zee, you do love the young ones! HeeHee.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 14-09-2011, 16:18   #17
cp1

Possibly interested in a crew position in December, Fl to Panama. PLease review my profile here on CF and advise me your interest. Your Groucho quote rally made me laugh!
Many Thanks,
Capt Doug
Old 14-09-2011, 16:18   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

FLYSCI-------WEED YOUR PMS OUT SO I CAN SEND A PM.... sheeesh....... must be 10 milliojn crew applications in there....just waiting for ye....
Old 14-09-2011, 18:03   #19

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Thanks for the thought. Wish I could go with you on a practice run on your boat, but it will be a race getting mine ready. I'm really afraid my mast is going to hold me up if I have to haul it to Florida. I hope you'll fill me in on your trip after you get to Panama as with any luck I'll be pretty close to following in your wake.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:55   #20

My boyfriend and I are looking to crew as far south as we can! We're in Maine now but can get to anywhere on the East Coast. Please be in touch if anyone needs some great able crew!
Thanks,
Ana and Adam
Old 21-09-2011, 12:26   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we did it last jan but took a different route as we wanted to experience the countries between the us and panama -
we went to west coast of fla and then to mexico and made a few stops then to belieze and made a lot of stops and great time - then into the rio for a few weeks and inland travel before leaving for the bay islands -
then had to wait for a good wx window to get around the corner - ie no wind with e in it - got it and made the run - into vivo and then down to providencia (low cay actually) san andres then to panama -
by the way the port capt at bocas will rip you off big time as will immigration - if possible check in at portbello -
have no idea why you object to buddy boat - we buddy boat a lot BUT we make our own decisions and if we think it is good to leave we leave or vice versa - if we feel it is not safe we don't - we NEVER let another boat determine our sailing - but we have buddy boated a lot and it good to have company on those long sails - even if they are a few miles away
and yes we have sailed a lot of miles just by ourselves

just our thoughts
chuck patty and svsoulmates
cartagena colombia
Old 21-09-2011, 14:32   #22
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we did it last jan but took a different route as we wanted to experience the countries between the us and panama -
we went to west coast of fla and then to mexico ...
have no idea why you object to buddy boat - ...
Thanks for all your information. I wouldn't mind visiting Isla Mujeres and cays in Belize, but I have read that the trip east from FL can be very tricky. Hugging the Cuban coast where I can't seek refuge if I need to would worry me. Also the proto-gulf stream in the Yucatan channel can be a challenge. How did you approach that part of the trip?

Actually I've never tried buddy boating, so I'll defer to your experience. Seems I've over-blown the problems!

Margo

Old 21-09-2011, 14:35   #23

we kinda buddy boated in gulf trips when some others wanted to come along also-- was good-- fun to take pix of their boat and we got ours taken also. dinners together woith the friends who sailed at same time and anchored in same cove. was fun.
also is someone around and not too far off if you need help with something.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:04   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we left miami and went around to the west coast of fla and then crossed the gs high up - then down running east of the gs to just south of isla mujeras - then turned wnw to cross the gs - it was strong there -
we do use chris parker for wx and he had some great suggestions on how close to gs we could sail without getting into it on the southbound leg
from there we ran down the coast of mexico making a couple of stops before going to belieze - had a great time there then down to the rio over to the bay islands and waited on a wx window to run to the vivo and down
as for buddy boating
we left isla mujeras with a boat and had a good run down and a couple of stop down to one of bays south of puerto morales - i looked at the grib files, wx fax and listened to chris parker and knew we had a front coming - we decided to leave the bay the next day at noon and told our buddy boat - they looked at the same wx and said they were staying as they wanted to explore the wx - we left and got into belieze about 12-16 hrs before the front and had a decent sail - as i said we do our own thing and make our own decisions - we buddy boated with 3 south african cats for 2 months and had a great time - when we left them to head to cartagena my liver was thankful --

your chartplotter and charts for belieze are wrong - fran rausher (sp) is a great guide and check on your ssb with other cruisers as a lot of waypoints get passed around to make it thru a couple of the passes

just how we do it
chuck patty and svsoulmates
cartagena colombia
Old 23-09-2011, 12:10   #25

Hi Margo,
I'm a 41 year young Canadian Boy that has taken interest in leaving the winters behind for the past 3 seasons. I have a property in Panama that I usually go check on once a year and then search for wind and waves till things warm up back home. In my younger years I taught sailing at Club Med and have done the trip from Columbia to Panama as well as around San Blas. I would consider myself a novice with a keen interest to learn. I've owned small power boats my entire life and have driven a wakeboarding boat professionally for the past 7 years so in that regard I am comfortable with boats. If you're still looking for a friendly, able, low maintenance crew member for your journey please let me know so we can discuss the possibilities.
Old 26-09-2011, 11:41   #26

Hi Margo,

The sail you advertise is precisely the route I am looking for. I am currently bosun onboard the Half Moon, a 1609 replica ship that sails on the Hudson river and in the vicinity of New York harbor. We shall be preparing the ship for winter at the end of October or early November and I shall be available after that, so timing is good. I have papers from the Nautical Institute in Enkhuizen, The Netherlands, including STCW-95 and Medical-L. I am physically fit and have sailing experience in and around the UK, in the European Atlantic coastal waters and in inland waters. I look forward to talking more about this trip!

Regards, Robbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Hi fellow cruisers! I plan to move my boat to Panama by the end of December. I hope to leave from South Florida by mid November, but only after threat of hurricanes is over. I am currently in NC, but can pick up crew in Florida. I live aboard alone, and would like to have 2 additional crew on board for this trip.

Route is likely to be from Ft. Lauderdale, through the Bahamas, through the windward passage, a stop in Jamaica, possible stops at Isla De Providencia and the San Blas. I want to make some stops, so it won't just be a delivery grind, we'll have time for having fun ashore.

The boat is a 1982 a CS36T, a 36ft sloop. I have cruised on her in the FL keys and through the Bahamas. She's equipped with solar and wind power, a 30hp Westerbeke diesel, autopilot, Garmin chartplotter, 100 gallon fresh water tanks, propane stove with oven, etc.

I pay all expenses while on the boat, and may be able to help with transportation to or from the boat if you aren't coming from too far away. PM me with any questions about me or the boat.

Ciao, Margo
Old 28-09-2011, 15:04   #27

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbert View Post
The sail you advertise is precisely the route I am looking for. I am currently bosun onboard the Half Moon, a 1609 replica ship that sails on the Hudson river and in the vicinity of New York harbor. We shall be preparing the ship for winter at the end of October or early November and I shall be available after that, so timing is good.
Margo --

SNAP! At the rate you're going, you'll have to defend the boat from TOO MANY crew! My departure is planned for 11/1, but when was the last time a cruise actually started on time? There's another boat down here thinking about the same departure. Maybe......

John
Old 28-09-2011, 15:11   #28
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Margo --

SNAP! At the rate you're going, you'll have to defend the boat from TOO MANY crew! My departure is planned for 11/1, but when was the last time a cruise actually started on time? There's another boat down here thinking about the same departure. Maybe......

John
Robbert hasn't answered my message to him; maybe he's changed his mind. We had some trouble exchanging PMs, so maybe he's trying.

So far, no one's jumped onboard. But then I'm trying for crew who have the time to stay aboard all the way to Panama. A big commitment!

So what route are you thinking about? Direct to S. FL, or are you making stops along the way? Buddy boating would be fun!

Margo

Old 28-09-2011, 16:54   #29

never count the crew until ye see the whites of their eyes......
Old 28-09-2011, 16:58   #30
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
never count the crew until ye see the whites of their eyes......
Ezzackly!!

Tags
florida, Panama, panama