Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 09:05   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Florida to Mexico/Belize/Honduras

Presently in Cape Coral, Florida. Looking for crew to assist my passage to Honduras. All the way or part way. I am flexible. Hoping to leave shortly after the first of the year. Can leave from here or from Marathon or Key West. Lots of experience not necessary, just the ability to keep a good watch and to help with chores. I pay any marina fees, major boat expenses, and basic boat food. Crew provides shoreside expenses and any special food needs plus transportation back to states. Boat is a 37 foot Jeanneau sloop. I have made this passage several times.
Old 15-12-2011, 10:34   #2

Re: Florida to Mexico/Belize/Honduras

Gidday. I am a 44 year old High School teacher from New Zealand, travelling through the Southern USA with my 12 year old son, this January and February. I've done a few Pacific passages ex NZ ( Tonga, Tahiti etc) and enjoy scuba diving. My son loves Laser sailing, Soccer and watersports but would enjoy watching (or playing) any sport. We have a 7 metre yacht we holiday in based in the Bay of islands NZ, so aren’t complete bunnies.
We would like to meet people with similar interests and hobbies on our travels. We would like to spend about a week on a boat somewhere in the Caribbean during February. Could this work for you?
Would you take a kid?
What do you cost?
What options do we have for meeting up with you in Feb some place?

Many thanks
John Mills
Old 15-12-2011, 14:50   #3

Boat: In between boat ownership

Joe,

Very happy to join you. I'm a young 63 Married father of four grown kids and have experience with my own boats a Catalina 37 and a Columbia 27 and some sailing on Morgan Catalina 45. Grew up in South and Central America as a U.S. Military brat and have traveled all of these countries since. I'm available for up to 4 months and can make my own travel arrangements to meet you wherever and whenever necessary.

Kim
Ph: 602-315-8368
Old 15-12-2011, 16:13   #4

Alaskadog,

Greetings!

I spent a few years living in AK around the Wasilla area and out by Tok Junction. Awesome experiences. I posted a thread about me being available for crew, but I thought I would toss you a PM as well.

I've been sailing for about 15 years. Racing my j-24 for about 6. I have been making plans on moving to the coastal area to hunt down my own boat, purchase it and start to live my dream. I live debt free, am a clean tidy person and know how to operate on a sailboat in any position. I am actively looking for opportunities to provide experience sailing in the gulf as that is where I would like to spend the rest of my days. I am new to looking for these chances to crew for other individuals and I am sure that more interviewing would be a requirement (I feel like it is a good idea). I can't think of much worse than to be stuck in such close proximity with an individual you don't enjoy their company. I don't want to over step my bounds, but I have a few questions if that is ok.

Do you smoke tobacco?
Play any instruments?
Interested in photography?
Do you have any interest in central American culture?
Do you speak Spanish?
What would you say you are looking for in a crewmate as far as personality? Age? Gender? Education?

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have for me as I have nothing to hide and respect the opinion of the skipper on his boat. I have ample funds to support myself. I live in Montana (North West Montana) and am rather comfortable living minimally. A good book, a few chords or doing some exploring would put me right at home.

Thanks for the opportunity to chat with you!

No expectations!

Ian!
Old 15-12-2011, 17:57   #5

Reply to Daoism: I do not use tobacco. I did many years ago but quit. I have no objection to smokers providing they smoke in the cockpit, not below. I do not play any musical instruments but I enjoy music of all kinds and carry a large selection of music CD and IPOD on board. I would have no problem with crew bringing a musical instrument on board providing it is not a cello or a grand piano. I like photography and usually carry several cameras on board but consider myself only an amateur. I am interested in Central American culture, especially the indigenous Mayan culture more than the dominant Spanish culture but I find that interesting also, especially in its contrasts with North American English-based culture. I speak Spanish, "poquito". (enough to get by on and enough to get in trouble with). As far as crew characteistics goes. I am not gender biased but my wife is and since she is not going on this cruise, and she is gender biased regarding my crew selection then I am seeking a male. Age, not important. I want someone who does not get sea sick, who has tolerance for others attitudes and ideas and can pull their own weight who can stand a good watch and can tolerate making passages without consuming alcohol. No drinking during passages is my rule. Amount of education is not important to me but I would prefer someone who can carry an intelligent conversation. Years of formal education is not necessarily an indication of either knowledge or intelligence. Hope this answers you satisfactorily. The main thing you need to know is that my cruise is somewhat open ended regarding where and when I will land but I want to get to Roatan by February and hang out in that area for a couple of months. Roatan has an international airport with flights going everywhere. If this still sounds interesting then reply and perhaps we can talk by phone or PM.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:20   #6
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Hey Joe -- Off topic, but I think we met you in Placencia and maybe Blueground Range in Belize in February 2010? We're currently in Punta Gorda, FL ... interesting that you're in Cape Coral! Cheers! Jan & David, s/v Winterlude

https://commutercruiser.com
Old 15-12-2011, 20:40   #7

Hi Joe,

I am very interested in crewing on Sun Dog from Florida to Honduras.

I just arrived in Ft. Myers this evening. I know you are not looking for crew until shortly after the first of the year but I thought I would drop you a message since we are both in the Ft. Myers area.

I've recently returned from 4 years of winning hearts and minds in Afghanistan and am currently taking a sabbatical with the goal of spending as much time on the water as possible. I have just wrapped up two weeks of sailing J24s on San Francisco Bay and flew to Florida several days ago to see what the sailing scene was like here. I'm flying back to the midwest on Tuesday, Dec. 20th to spend Christmas with my family. I'm completely free between Dec. 26th - Jan. 28th.

I crewed twice before starting my Afghanistan adventure - New York City to North Carolina in December 2005 and from Key West to Sarasota in 2006. I enjoyed both trips and will forever remember seeing the snow fall as we sailed down the New Jersey coast.

I've visited Belize, Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica before but I'm afraid I don't speak much Spanish.

Please send me an email if you would like to meet while we are both in the Ft. Myers area. I am going fishing on Friday but should be available Friday evening or anytime over the weekend. I also have a rental car and would be happy to give you a ride to the grocery store, West Marine, etc. I'm also ready to help you with any boat chores you have between now and Tuesday. (I've read a lot about sailors helping other sailors and would like to do my part).

A few other random bits of information:

37 years old. 6'00". 190 lbs.
Peace Corps Volunteer in West Africa 1999-2002.
Financially stable.
Non-smoker and occasional drinker (never on the water)
MBA degree (don't know what it's worth really)
Well-worn U.S. passport with a few empty pages in the back
Single but attached - girlfriend is working in Afghanistan until August 2012.

Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to meet up Friday evening or over the weekend.

Best,

Jon
Old 16-12-2011, 05:08   #8

To Winterlude: Yes, I remember you quite well. I believe you guys particpated in the NW Caribbean Cuisers Net on SSB. Are you headed south later this winter or are you land bound? Would enjoy seeing you whenever. I am presently anchored in Bimini Basin in Cape Coral.

To Free In Fall: Call me at 251-597-5492 and we can talk.
Old 16-12-2011, 10:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Americat 30 Catamaran

I am an experienced sailor and am interested in your trip. Please contact me at juliosailing at gmail dot com
Thanks
Julio
Old 16-12-2011, 12:59   #10

It doesn't seem I am able to send you any PM. Send me one and I would be more than happy to talk about anything under the sun. Thanks Alaskadog!
Old 16-12-2011, 14:52   #11

Or email me at ianbaker.admin at gmail dot com
Old 18-12-2011, 13:46   #12

I have found crew for my trip to Roatan. Thanks to all who replied to my crew wanted listing. I appreciate your active consideration very much.
Old 26-12-2011, 14:13   #13

Hi Sundog,

How has your trip been to date?

Married with three children and 2 grandsons, I am 57 and still working but am trying to ease my way out of the rat race. I've booked off work for February, unpaid, and am looking for an opportunity to sail and share expenses. I've owned two keel boats, the latest a Bayfield 25 with my brother, we sail on Lake Ontario in any weather. I don't have any blue water experience.

I love Latin America and commend to you the ports of Varidaro and Havana Cuba, also Bocas del Toro in Panama and Tampico in Mexico. I've studied up my Spanish and practice whenever I can. You'll find I'm handy on a boat. I pulled out and and re-installed our auxiliary diesel for a rebuild. While it was out I fitted it with an alternator and wired it into the boat so we don't need shore power any more. We also fitted an auto-tiller, do you have one?

I like to cook and I don't smoke or take drugs. The way I have fun on a trip is to look for the good in everyone I meet. People everywhere are open and curious about us if I can just slow down and appreciate them. Women can be a challenge if they see you as a 'sugar daddy' so I try to keep things correct (I just returned from a week cycling in Cuba with my brother).

Please let me know if I might fit into your plans. I can certainly cover expenses and can meet you in any port you choose.

Andy Welch
Streetsville, Canada

Presently in Cape Coral, Florida. Looking for crew to assist my passage to Honduras. All the way or part way. I am flexible. Hoping to leave shortly after the first of the year. Can leave from here or from Marathon or Key West. Lots of experience not necessary, just the ability to keep a good watch and to help with chores. I pay any marina fees, major boat expenses, and basic boat food. Crew provides shoreside expenses and any special food needs plus transportation back to states. Boat is a 37 foot Jeanneau sloop. I have made this passage several times.[/QUOTE]

Tags
florida