Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20   #16

Re: Florida to Bahamas and beyond if weather permits

Experienced sailing Florida and Bahamas, in Phoenix through October 11th waterskiing, but will be free after that. Would love talk more about it. Can exchange number via email. glenn_sperry@yahoo.com Thanks Glenn
Old 11-09-2015, 16:44   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

I've been crossing the Gulf Stream back and forth from Florida and the Bahamas for 30 years. Of course check the weather before you go, but it's 50/50 at best. I've had 1 to 2' seas forecasted, when it's 8 to 10' and vice versa. With a Gemini, crossing in 8 to 10' seas would not be fun. Add a north wind and forget it. Turn around and go back.

Here's my trick and it has never failed me: Go to the Beach before you go and look at the horizon. If you see elephants marching on the horizon - DON'T GO! I don't care what the weather says. If it's nice and smooth - haul ass!!
Old 11-09-2015, 21:00   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
No radar, ais, offshore in a 32' cat with 15' beam.....
You have a death wish.
The boat has crossed the Atlantic in the hands of a very experienced person who said on arrival, he would never do it again.
Gee I guess I'm lucky to be alive. Spent ten years cruising the Caribbean and Atlantic coast with nothing but a VHF and a sextant on cheap, fiberglass production boats.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:46   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Gee I guess I'm lucky to be alive. Spent ten years cruising the Caribbean and Atlantic coast with nothing but a VHF and a sextant on cheap, fiberglass production boats.
How on earth did you survive? I bet you didnt even have an ice maker or maragarita machine either...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-09-2015, 04:59   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
How on earth did you survive? I bet you didnt even have an ice maker or maragarita machine either...

OK now... we may have taken this a bit too far... I can see no margarita machine as hand made are 100x better, and those machines are really gimmicky too... But no ice maker???

I may have to report this post...

(looks like we've been having fun with your thread rich... bump city...)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 12-09-2015, 07:22   #21

Boat: Morgan 461

Ahoy, Richinlife

I read you post with great interest. I have no experience with cats so I will not offer an opinion, however, my wife and I are planning a similar trip shortly after your proposed departure date. We expect to leave the West coast of Florida (St Pete) November 1 and sail around the keys, over to Bahamas, taking our time, then down to the Caribbean till May/June, and if the political conditions are not too extreme we plan to sail back to the Mediterranean as we did in 2014.

My interest is in the Bahamas part of your trip. I am looking at the charts and have ordered guides, but not sure what path I want to take. I don't really enjoy shinny water, but accept it as ‘part and parcel’ of sailing the Bahamas. Do you plan to go through the Northwest Providence Channel or cut across the banks? I would like to know what stops you are planning for as you work South that would allow 50 mile days, that sounds good to me, and I might benefit from your research.

We used Navionics to cross the Atlantic, stopping at Bermuda, the Azores, Spain, and Italy and it worked perfectly, no real errors to note, however I have read often that Navionics charts are not nearly as accurate as the Explorer charts for the Bahamas, and now that I have both (Explorer on paper chart books and loaded in my Garmin plotter), I think I agree. You might take a look at them if you don't have that brand on board, well worth the money.

Thanks for any feedback, and good luck on your trip!
Old 12-09-2015, 10:47   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Ice? We didn't need no stinkin' ice.

Occasional stops at the local tavern got us through the dry spells. Amazing how good a cold beer tastes after 2-3 weeks in the tropics with no fridge.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:20   #23

Boat: Columbia 35

Greetings from Canada Rich! If you are still seeking a crew mate, I could be interested and the timing could be right for me. Please see my member profile and either reply here or forest logic at hot mail dot com. I could even meet you in Texas and travel with you if that was your starting point. Kind regards, Brian (Bluewaterdreams)
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17   #24

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34'

SHER9016 - good feed back, thanks. I am still looking at options for routing. Current plan is to cross Banks to Chub Cay. After that I will probably either go to Nassau, then through the Exuma banks side to Conch Cut, or perhaps Chub to Andros across to Conch Cut. Many options that may be decided by wind direction and sea state. There are a few legs that will require anchoring on the banks over night and a couple of later legs that will require open ocean overnight passage.
Old 12-09-2015, 17:24   #25

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Ice? We didn't need no stinkin' ice.

Occasional stops at the local tavern got us through the dry spells. Amazing how good a cold beer tastes after 2-3 weeks in the tropics with no fridge.
Don't laugh our ice maker broke 2 days into our 1O day Dry Tortugas trip. Just me and 3 very thirsty ladies in board. I condemned our machine after working on it for 2 hours. Our friends loaned us theirs once we got there. And the ferry sold us ice. It was still touch and go for a few days....
Rich I would cross to the north side of the chub cut sandbar theirs an anchorage there north of the tongue of the ocean. Then a one day easy sail to west side of Nassau. Anchoring in Clifton bay. Then it's just a easy day sail to highborne cay in exumas. Then enjoy it down to Georgetown.

Old 12-09-2015, 17:46   #26

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

"You have a death wish."

I'm reluctant to join in a "boat is not capable" discussion, but as a former owner of a Gemini who has done the proposed trip, I believe the boat is capable and reasonable for such a trip.

You will see many other Gemini boats in that region of the area - lots of help if you need repairs, parts, or just a port to relax.

There are only a few night sailing requirements - and 50 NM/day is a reasonable estimate of the boat's capabilities - assuming the crew is willing to get up at first light and sail until sundown.

One caution, from my experience in this exact trip several times - fuel is a consideration on the Gems - and I suggest you do NOT carry deck fuel - the deck and stanchions just won't take the load. Just stop for fuel when you get to 1/2 tank and you will have no problems.

Depart from Lake Worth Inlet - or further south, it is quite a slog from Ft. Pierce and you won't enjoy it.

Have a great trip - take two crew if you don't mind giving up both back cabins - and if your auto pilot doesn't work, get it fixed - you can make the trip without it, but crossings are more fun when you don't have to hand steer. If you can't afford the repair, you can't afford the trip.

When was your last steering cable replacement? If more than 5 years ago, swap out the cables. If your cables have not been upgraded to the 105Mc configuration, pay the extra money and do the upgrade.

Have fun . . .
Old 12-09-2015, 21:21   #27

Boat: Morgan 461

Found this online, it is interesting, I will paraphrase :
Leave Alicetown in afternoon, anchor on banks Side of Cat Cay near airport, then leave as early as needed to make Berries, no obstacles. Then to Rose Island. Then next dat to Exumas.

I have not charred this, but sounds interesting.
Old 13-09-2015, 12:05   #28

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34'

I can not go fast enough to cover that much water. This must have been a motor yacht?
Old 13-09-2015, 12:37   #29

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richinlife View Post
I can not go fast enough to cover that much water. This must have been a motor yacht?

They referred to leaving early enough to make it and that there were no obstacles inferring that you can leave Cat Cay early like in the dark. Or you can anchor on the banks anywhere out of the route. If you are not going to the Berrys and want to avoid Nassau go Morgan's bluff. Or Rose if the wind is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-09-2015, 21:34   #30

Found a crew member yet?

Tags
Bahamas, florida, permit, weather