Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 20:49   #31

Re: Florida Crew/Owners Wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Sigh. Why don't you google Greenwich Propane which is the boat we won the Double Handed Transatlantic Race on. Cam Lewis won Class I with Laurent Borgeon and we won Class IV. Finished before all of the class II and III boats. It's just a Google search away scammer.
Man you got mental problems..

Know one really cares...i don't care if you rowed a boat the moon...

Don't go away mad, just go away
Old 12-10-2016, 20:51   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleH28 View Post
Man you got mental problems..

Know one really cares...i don't care if you rowed a boat the moon...

Don't go away mad, just go away
Just more evidence you don't want to give this guy 2k a month to sail him around the world because he cant do it himself.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 12-10-2016, 21:00   #33

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Troll.....people interested in info. About me, the boat, or our plan, can email me directly.
So basically you have no experience and no personal sailing ability, and want others to fund your dreams since you can't do it yourself.
If I was a troll, at least I will never have to worry about you sailing under my bridge.
Old 13-10-2016, 01:34   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 37' sloop

If you have over-budgeted anyway, why not go one step further and buy a bigger boat? Something 50-60' ?

If you gather 10 determined people who put 2k a month in your project for 2 months and work on the 'group boat' for 3 weeks, you basically have 400.000 dollars, and 10 people with some sailboat maintenance experience will fix up almost any derelict 60 footer to shape.

- People get to know each other better with a longer pre-departure time
- They don't have to sleep on deck while under way
- Working together on a boat and watching it rise from the ashes creates a strong bond among people
- sufficient money

But I'm out anyway, because... I don't think I'd get along with your... type of personality. I wish you all the best. Interesting idea. Hope it works.
Old 13-10-2016, 02:30   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 37' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV gypsy spirit View Post
If you gather 10 determined people who put 2k a month in your project for 2 months and work on the 'group boat' for 3 weeks, you basically have 400.000 dollars
Welp... has been too early for math I guess, here at UTC+1.
It's $40.000, not $400.000 of course.
Old 13-10-2016, 06:13   #36

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Well he called me a troll so I'm going to try to live up to his expectation.
10 people earning 2k x 12 mos, is 240 ish k.
Boat let's say 120k
50k in upgrades, ( good luck , a wm that keep up with 10 people will be 8k your boat In Question has crappy tankage for 4 much less 10. Barely sleeps 6 , solar, wind hydro etc to keep up with banks etc is 10k. So there's 18k if you know how to install it all. Bottom paint 3k, safety gear for 10, plus life raft is 8k, let's say 8K in spares, rigging, etc, 5k in electronics upgrades etc. Your close to 50k in add ons so far and out of pocket nearly 170k and haven't left dock yet.
Rent? Low balling 12k apartment, 12k dock , Youll need insurance most likely which on an early 70s I'm guessing 3k. Food and utilities for 10 people for a year even at $10.00 per day per person in food is $35,000.so probably more, You've spent 240k + and still need to provision. I added this up top of mind in minutes. I suggest you spend a bit more time. A " Dream" without a plan is just a bunch of hot air.
Maybe you should add "mathematician" to the crew ad. And if you don't have thick enough skin to take a few trolls making suggestions its either going to be a really long or a really short trip.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-10-2016, 07:44   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

I haven't been this entertained by a thread in a long time, they could charge good money for this... ;-)

To the OP, just because someone points out possible problems with your plan does not make them "trolls". Wise men listen to and learn from others, whereas fools blindly charge ahead like a loose cannon. Don't be the latter! You don't have to agree with everything, but realize that there is a lot of wisdom in some of the things written. Listen and learn, my friend, don't let enthusiasm cloud better judgment. Take what you read and use it to refine your plan, or scrap it and start over. But keep chasing the dream - ultimately that's what we're all doing here...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 13-10-2016, 07:58   #38

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

With 10 people bringing investment to the table, you've gotta go bigger. Like everyone has said, a 44 foot boat is just not set up to handle 10 people full time cruising. I think you'll figure that out once you try. Get a 70 ft. Swan
Old 13-10-2016, 08:32   #39

Quote:
So as promised here is the details of the group.

2k a month per person, one year, then the boat leaves.
Before or after taxes? How much of the 2k/mo do I net?
Old 13-10-2016, 08:43   #40

Please, please make videos like Delos, LaVagabonde, etc. You have a real go-getter plan. It would be interested in seeing on youtube.
Old 13-10-2016, 09:06   #41

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Reminds me of a "plan" Back in the '60's (before the www which at least allows for negative reviews) Guy saw a big Baltic trader. Gathered shareholder crew , down payment on boat ;made it from GB to Gibraltar,.Eventually all forfeited and ran away disillusioned. New ad,new bunch ,another payment on boat and crossed to the Caribe where it all went awry again. The OP didn't like my 'scam' comment. I can only say I heard a quak once and sure enough ,it was a duck
Old 16-10-2016, 16:07   #42

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
So the OP just private message me saying I was a troll and to post a photo of my boat. I spent six years on this boat as a mate/engineer. It was a custom Baltic 76. Could never imagine having 10 people on it for more than a week.

Attachment 132774

Hope you weren't on it this summer. Saw Tabasco try and pick up a mooring in Tenants this summer. Let's just say it really wasn't pretty.
Old 16-10-2016, 20:57   #43

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
Hope you weren't on it this summer. Saw Tabasco try and pick up a mooring in Tenants this summer. Let's just say it really wasn't pretty.
Haven't been on her in years. Worked for original owner. Have heard the current owner is having a tough time finding good crew.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics

Tags
crew, florida, wanted