Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20   #1

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Female Sailing Companion

I have a 41' Tartan sloop presently moored in Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, Fl. Left the Texas Gulf Coast first part of December, and am waiting till the weather moderates before leaving for the Bahamas and beyond. Looking for a lady that would be interested in joining in some or all of the sail. I have references, and most things are negotiable. Send me a PM or post here and I will get back to you.

Cheers,
Bob

Old 02-03-2010, 12:30   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Hi Bob
In what sort of capacity are you hoping to recruit a female companion?
You dont have to reply on here but the reason im replying to your thread in public is bacause of the obvious interest by several guys on CF about dating and finding a partner.
I hope this thread may be of help to others.
Do you hope to attract a woman to accompany you in a non romantic capacity initially, with no pressure or expectations, in the hope that you both might find out more about eachother?

As I found out last year, its impossible to get to know someone long distance. You have to spend a lot of time together to see past the initial common interests and hobbies. So when your dating globally, how do you get to spend time together?

For a women to move aboard in order to spend that time together, perhaps the thought of being prematurely pressurised into a relationship is going to be a deal breaker. I certainly wont be rushing out to do that again, and ground rules would need to be agreed and understood and expectations addressed.

Does this make sense.

Please dont take this personally but so many guys still dont get why women still want to pay their way, even if its going Dutch on a meal or buying her own drinks.
In too many cases, too many guys have paid for both of them and then turned nasty at the end of the night when he gets no sexual reward.

I realy hope you dont take offence at my reply please. None intended. Just trying to get this out in the open so we can all learn something.
Old 02-03-2010, 13:37   #3

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Darn. And just when I was going to recommend that he add, "pole dancing at the mast required."
Old 02-03-2010, 14:21   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I realy hope you dont take offence at my reply please. None intended. Just trying to get this out in the open so we can all learn something.
I think an interesting subject to chew over - but not sure if Bob would want it on "his" thread
Old 02-03-2010, 14:43   #5

Quote:
Hi Bob
In what sort of capacity are you hoping to recruit a female companion?
You dont have to reply on here but the reason im replying to your thread in public is bacause of the obvious interest by several guys on CF about dating and finding a partner.
I hope this thread may be of help to others.
Do you hope to attract a woman to accompany you in a non romantic capacity initially, with no pressure or expectations, in the hope that you both might find out more about eachother?

As I found out last year, its impossible to get to know someone long distance. You have to spend a lot of time together to see past the initial common interests and hobbies. So when your dating globally, how do you get to spend time together?

For a women to move aboard in order to spend that time together, perhaps the thought of being prematurely pressurised into a relationship is going to be a deal breaker. I certainly wont be rushing out to do that again, and ground rules would need to be agreed and understood and expectations addressed.

Does this make sense.

Please dont take this personally but so many guys still dont get why women still want to pay their way, even if its going Dutch on a meal or buying her own drinks.
In too many cases, too many guys have paid for both of them and then turned nasty at the end of the night when he gets no sexual reward.

Hi anjou,
No offense taken. A very well thought out and written point. I think a companion is just that. I don't think I can improve on Websters definition.
I have no expectations one way or the other on the romantic part...things of that nature happen by them selves if its meant to be.
So to answer somewhat....Someone to share the adventure with, no strings, no expectations, no pressure, and if she wants to pay for herself, I'm fine with that, hence most all negotiable except safety.

Cheers,
Bob

Old 02-03-2010, 14:50   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Bob, if you don't have any luck here, try floatplan.com I've lined up a few female non-romantic crew there.

Enjoy the Bahamas. I'm there now, but unfortunately almost done.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27   #7

Boat: Watkins 27
With the internet being so impersonal and not knowing whom you are corresponding with it makes it hard for one person to meet another.

Here is what I personally feel about Bob.
My wife and I have known Bob for well over a year. We have sail/crewed with him on a number of occasions. I have found him to be an old school gentelman and his hand shake is his bond. This part of his personality is not seen much in this day and time.

We were invited to sail from Texas to Fla. and beyond with him. It was impossible for us to go at this time. Reason being I have as many a 8 doctor appointment up at the VA in San Antonio per month due to a rare auto-immune disease caused by Agent Orange exposure.

Bob I hope you don't mind me putting in a word for you. You are surely missed and loved on this end. Wish we were there with you.

Take care my friend,
David and Lisa

Old 04-03-2010, 09:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmt View Post
With the internet being so impersonal and not knowing whom you are corresponding with it makes it hard for one person to meet another.

Here is what I personally feel about Bob.
My wife and I have known Bob for well over a year. We have sail/crewed with him on a number of occasions. I have found him to be an old school gentelman and his hand shake is his bond. This part of his personality is not seen much in this day and time.

We were invited to sail from Texas to Fla. and beyond with him. It was impossible for us to go at this time. Reason being I have as many a 8 doctor appointment up at the VA in San Antonio per month due to a rare auto-immune disease caused by Agent Orange exposure.

Bob I hope you don't mind me putting in a word for you. You are surely missed and loved on this end. Wish we were there with you.

Take care my friend,
David and Lisa
Thank you for the kind words David, I too wish you were here. Miss you guys, and could use help keeping up with Charlie and Laura .....My love and best to you and Lisa.....

Your Friend,
Bob
Old 04-03-2010, 09:39   #9

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Just so you guys all know, I have replied to Bob in person.

As you may or not know, I went sailing last year with someone and for several reasons, it didnt work out. It taught me a lot about certain aspects of life and whilst it might be chalked down to experience, Ive learned that I dont wish to go through that type of experience again, which is why I brought the subject up.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:18   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Just so you guys all know, I have replied to Bob in person.

As you may or not know, I went sailing last year with someone and for several reasons, it didnt work out. It taught me a lot about certain aspects of life and whilst it might be chalked down to experience, Ive learned that I dont wish to go through that type of experience again, which is why I brought the subject up.
Thought it was a subject well worth bringing up, especially on the practicalities.......maybe a new thread?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01   #11

Men requesting female companion

I am curious, what makes a man specify a female sailing companion if its for strictly sailing. I'm not judging, just curious.

I myself responded to a similar ad, it was just for a local weekend trip where a married man was soliciting a female to sail with. I was suspicious at first but met for a coffee before the trip, and everything was great. But friends were more suspsicious than I was about me going on the trip in the first place. So I am wondering, why specify a female companion?

Old 08-03-2010, 15:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisGoneSailing View Post
I am curious, what makes a man specify a female sailing companion if its for strictly sailing. I'm not judging, just curious.

I myself responded to a similar ad, it was just for a local weekend trip where a married man was soliciting a female to sail with. I was suspicious at first but met for a coffee before the trip, and everything was great. But friends were more suspsicious than I was about me going on the trip in the first place. So I am wondering, why specify a female companion?

My reason is that although I get along with both sexes, I enjoy the company of a female more. I'd rather look at a nice lady than a hairy legged man .....
Old 08-03-2010, 17:11   #13

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hey if I shave my legs ....can I go?....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 08-03-2010, 17:19   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Just make sure the social aspects are all put in writing before getting underway. I would definitely get to know this woman pretty well, do a background check and get references before casting off the lines. There are plenty of nut job women out there...I dated a few of them.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 08-03-2010, 17:20   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
I enjoy the company of a female more.
What the heck are you talking about. No way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
I'd rather look at a nice lady than a hairy legged man .....
Well, what guy doesn't? Get a hairy buddy and lood at nice ladies. That's the ticket.