Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 10:36   #31

Re: Female Late May to Aug Caribbean cruise

What is with you people?

The guy is an engineer, to anyone who has worked with engineers, they're logical, methodical, good at math, resourceful - all good traits to have when sailing. A lot of you have said sailing isn't always about sailing, it's about keeping the boat maintained and fixing stuff when it needs it.

The guy is honest about his experience level and isn't over confident - like someone else who got a lot of support from this board. What does it take? Does he need to take a 1 yr old, a 3 yr old and wife who doesn't have any off shore experience and head across the Pacific? Would you all clap him on the back and tell him he's "as well prepared as anyone to cross the ocean!" (I just love that statement, that might go into my sig!)

Well, look what happened. You all know the story. Didn't get very far, got rescued, scuttled the boat, and some clown proclaimed it was a "total success of a voyage!" (That one is also a very close runner up!)

So here's my advice to the poster. Pay no attention to the naysayers. Do what you want to do. If you get good advice, take it, but keep your dreams alive. You seem like an intelligent, resourceful, level headed guy who is well aware of the dangers of bad weather. I think you're going to do fine, just keep an eye out.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the negativity isn't coming from the married guys who are green with envy that your wife is allowing you to take another woman on a Caribbean cruise. Don't let the buzzards get you down!

There are other sites specifically dedicated to finding crewmembers. Crewseekers.net and findacrew.net, in addition to lovesail.com, as long as you let them know there is no romantic component, who knows, you might get more interest than most.

Good luck!
Old 22-04-2014, 11:20   #32

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I apologize if anything I said seamed negative, I am only trying to help. I agree with socaldmax, be safe and go for it!
Old 22-04-2014, 11:40   #33

I have not sailed the Caribbean but we soon will. From what I understand its pretty easy sailing in most areas which is why it has so many charter boats. Many Islands can be day sailed and local weather reporting is decent. There is no reason this fellow should not have a safe time, I don't get any of the bravado bs that I have heard from others from this fellow either so my feeling is he should be a safe skipper because I get the sense that he knows his limitations which is more than some can say. Hope you have a wonderful time, the right women do make excellent company plus they are generally a lot cleaner than most straight guys, LOL.
Old 25-04-2014, 07:10   #34

Boat: 1983 Morgan 454 45 ft

Thank you for your support. Any thoughts on provisions?
Old 25-04-2014, 09:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmindth View Post
Thank you for your support. Any thoughts on provisions?
Sorry, I don't know anything about provisions in the Caribbean. I'm guessing everything is expensive, with locally grown fruit and produce being the best deal.

Whenever I go on a trip to an area and I'm unsure what they carry, I stock up on my favorite stuff to bring with me. I went to a dry county for a week, so I brought all the booze and beer I thought I'd need, as well as tritips, ribeyes, etc.

I don't know if you snorkel or dive much, but I imagine you might be able to catch a few lobsters, do some fishing, buy some shrimp, so seafood should be easy to get locally, either caught or bought. Sorry if this is all too generic, that's the best I can offer.
Old 25-04-2014, 11:05   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My understanding is to bring any paper goods you need and whatever snacks you like that don't spoil as well as any favorites kind of soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash, whatever. You will find those items of course, just maybe not the brands you like. It's been awhile since I went and I didn't stay that long so things may have changed.
Old 25-04-2014, 14:18   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiladysailor Send a message via Skype™ to kiwiladysailor

I think most lady sailors might be worried you are just looking for a lot of work from them as well as sex.
As you continue to write and add to your resume, its getting scarier by the minute , with all the health issues you have . ( not to mention peeing in the toilet issues)
If I was in your position , this is just a suggestion , it might be better to sail with a young couple who would jump at the opportunity for the experience to sail such a great boat . It would be safer , given you have little experience and a medical issue. The other thing that could be seen as a bit dodgy here is you don't seem to have an itinerary. Do you have an Itinerary ? I mean its not really advertising for anything without an itinerary or programme, where is it we are sailing to exactly?
There is nothing wrong with what you are looking for ,but explain it clearly . You have a wife seven kids and a by- pass . What EXACTLY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ?
I am a single woman sailing all the time , most often with guys and in mixed company . A single guy with a boat is a huge risk, he might be sleazy, bossy, a pain in the A..s, anything is possible . Just the fact that you are searching for a single woman rings alarm bells, I think its good women are looking but cautious , we should be , based on some experiences I've had with boaties.
i think for a positive result re- think that advertisement and be more specific . Its way too ambiguous .
Old 26-04-2014, 05:07   #38

taking the boat out for another shakedown cruise to the Bahamas. don't have time to really answer the questions right now but I will say I've had some Very good responses and right now it looks like I'm going to increase my crew to three possibly four.
Old 28-04-2014, 10:49   #39

My girlfriend and I would be interested in this trip, I have been sailing off and on for 20 yrs. and almost everyday since November 2013. We make good company don't smoke or drink. It would be a unique opportunity for us to get to know the Caribbean as we plan to sail our boat there next year. What type of safety gear do you have aboard ie: EPIRB, life raft, radios, weather reports , radar and the like. We are open to no itinerary and are happy to sail according to the boss(the wind). What expenses do you cover and what is our financial responsibility? Pm or email surfertc@gmail.com to discuss further if you would consider a couple. Oh btw I am 42 and my girlfriend is 29 we sail our 26' Colombia all over Southern California area and are very easy to get along with. Fishing, surfing, cooking and boat maintenance/repair are skills that we bring to the table as well. Drop a line if interested. Fair winds and good luck to you if you choose to go a different direction.
Old 28-04-2014, 18:01   #40

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Guessing all the things that might happen when you crew doesnt give you any more info. As stated, try to arrange a short pre-cruise, talk to people who know him, etc. I advertised myself to crew here and had offers going up the east coast Australia to parts of Asia, but opted on a short trip up the Barrier Reef. Dont drink or smoke and advertised that, however the captain liked to get into it every night at anchor. So a long trip would have been uncomfortable but the short trip was interesting. Otherwise the captain was experienced, cautious, informed, good natured, safety conscious.
Old 30-04-2014, 16:35   #41

Bahamas shakedown went well, had the wind in our favor both ways and clear skies the entire trip. Had a mechanical linkage issue with the autopilot but that was the only significant issue. Electric motor worked really well and the gensets purred like they were new. One more shakedown to the Keys and we will be off and sailing to the Caribbean.
Old 30-04-2014, 20:52   #42

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Great news! Keep the updates coming!!!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, rib