Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 15:22   #1

Female Deckhand out of Vancouver, BC

Hello!

My name is Chantel and I'm looking to volunteer as crew. I'm a novice as far as on the ship goes but i'm very bright, quick and train easily. Sailboats have always been my fascination and I am looking for a good captain to learn under. I am availble starting May 2010, but if you have an amazing offer I always try and be flexible.

About me: Non smoker, never drugs, social drinker. I'm 23 and physically able. Previous national soccer player, national wrestler and army officer cadet. Travelled across Canada by bus. Responsible yet easy going. Enjoy adventures, water related activities, cooking, guitar, photography etc. I have a total office 9-5 job for the government but I'm looking to let loose of my respsonsabilites while im still young and can travel and crew for up to 1 yr at a time.

It would be great to find someone starting their trip from Vancouver, BC Canada - I am open to any destination but prefer warmer waters

Gaining experience is my main goal. I'd like to buy my own ship when we get home!

Feel free to message me on here or my email is in my profile.

Chantel
Old 19-02-2010, 16:40   #2

Boat: Amel Mango 52'
Hi Chantel,

I"m planning a trip south to Southern California from the San Juan Islands in July/August with an Amel 52. I'm planning on half offshore (the northern run) and half day runs, port to port (After crossing the CA state line). This will be an easy going enjoyable jaunt down the coast, no hard core sailer stuff, if the weather turns against us, I'm headed to port! Expected time is appx. two weeks. Planned departure dates are hard to firm up but it will be mid July through the first week of Aug. -Bob
Old 19-02-2010, 16:45   #3

Boat: Amel Mango 52'
P.S. You'll find lots of boats headed south from late June to late August, that's the season for going south. Most wait in San Diego for Nov 1st to cross into Baha. Good luck!
Old 19-02-2010, 23:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Chantel..good luck finding a crew possition....sounds like you'll have some choices.
Old 21-02-2010, 04:05   #5

Boat: Radford 40
Hi Chantel

I take on crew all the time, I am currently in Puerto Rico. No set destination after I leavehere in about a month, I figure whoever is onboard withme will help make that decision!

Tom
Old 26-02-2010, 14:04   #6

Hi MangoBob,

Thanks for getting back to me! Your trip sounds great but I'm just looking for something a little longer than appx 2 weeks. Thanks for your info and have a great trip!
Old 26-02-2010, 15:00   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Libra:

I did a trip from SF to Mexico then finally on to Sydney when I was about your age. I found that the "crew" members jumped on different boats. You'd start in one and then go to another. There are certain points in the world where sailors meet and then change crew. The Vancouver area, SF Bay, San Diego, Ensenada, and then a number of them further south in Mexico. I found that one needed to be flexible and to stay in contact withthe boating circles. If I were to do it again I would by a handheld VHF so that I could listen to the radio scheds to find a boat to sail on. Good Luck

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 28-02-2010, 15:20   #8

Boat: 1970 "Charlie" Morgan 38 sloop
Hi Chantel ____________________In November, I'll be preparing to return to the Bahamas for a 5-6 month cruise. Mine is a 38 ft Morgan sloop. I'll need someone to trade 4 hour watches at the helm with me on a few overnight passages. After Nassau, we'll be mostly daysailing from then on. Whoever comes along, will enjoy a laid back type of island hopping/gunkholing cruise. We'll be departing the Florida keys by late Nov-early Dec...stop at Nassau for a couple of days to restock the boat ...then slowly sail/gunkhole our way southeastward thru the Exuma chain....then hang out in Georgetown for a few months before visiting the far out Bahamas and possibly the Turks and Caicos.Then returning to the Keys via my usual circular route from the Ragged Islands and on past the Cay Sal bank by Apr, May or Early June. You can join me anywhere along the way.----- Labelle Fl.....Ft Myers Fl....Marathon Florida Keys....Nassau, Bahamas.....or Georgetown, Bahamas. ------jim taylor
Old 13-03-2010, 08:11   #9

Hi Chantel,
I'll be sailing north from Florida to Annapolis soon, then Annapolis to Marthas Vineyard in June. After that I'm hoping to do the Great Circle thru the Great lakes and western rivers of the US. My wife flies in every other week, looking for help with sailing, locks etc.
Rob
Old 07-04-2010, 22:48   #10

Boat: 36' Cutter rigged Columbia - Shibumi
sailing oppertunity

Hi Chantel
trip from Texas across gulf to Panama, through the canal and then up to Victoria via Hawaii, still setting the route, driving from Vancouver to Texas then sailing. leaving Vancouver May 7...email me if interested and more details, my email is in my profile.
thanks and good luck if you already found an adventure sailing...rob
Old 08-04-2010, 19:29   #11

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Hi Chantel, please see my post in this section about sailing through Indonesia, I am presently NE, in the Andaman sea, just East of Phuket. There is a position available now, for 6 or 7 months. Just had two ladies from victoria onboard for 5 and 7 weeks' they enjoyed it. Find your own way here and share food expenses.
Good luck with your adventures.
Have a look at my post? E- mail me if you want some more info.
Cheers from Keith.
Old 08-04-2010, 19:40   #12

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510
Interest sailing to Labrador

Check my post in this forum, Crew Wanted To Sail to Labrador Canada

Tags
deckhand