Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 20:42   #1

Experienced Sailor - NJ to NC

I am purchasing a Morgan Out Island 33 in Lanoka Harbour NJ and need assistance getting it out of there. The NJ ICW is a bit much for me to handle alone. I need to get out through Barnegat it appears which has a certain reputation.

I would like someone to sail with me down to at least Cape May. I am heading down to Washington NC so if you want to sail all the way down that far that would be fine too. I am still working on the schedule but it would likely be mid to late July.

Old 25-06-2015, 17:03   #2

Re: Experienced Sailor - NJ to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I am purchasing a Morgan Out Island 33 in Lanoka Harbour NJ and need assistance getting it out of there. The NJ ICW is a bit much for me to handle alone. I need to get out through Barnegat it appears which has a certain reputation.

I would like someone to sail with me down to at least Cape May. I am heading down to Washington NC so if you want to sail all the way down that far that would be fine too. I am still working on the schedule but it would likely be mid to late July.
I did Riverside NJ to Fla a few years ago
Great fun trip, I would be interested in going with you
But your timeframe doesn't work for me
If you need or want to delay till middle of Sept drop me a PM
Neil

Old 25-06-2015, 21:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Are you going ICW or off the coast? Your note is unclear. I dont know if you can make it down the NJICW--but Barnegat, while it can be tough can also be relatively easy an d many boats do it all the time. Just follow the buoys as they are often moved and not charted as I recall--That is an old boat! I sailed one from Annapolis to Puerto Rico in 1981 and was even in a gale in the Gulf Stream--roomy for sure but slow and can't sail upwind. So rely on your Perkins 4-108 or whatever she has -- shoal draft is nice too--what was it 3'6"???
Old 25-06-2015, 22:02   #4

My objective is twofold, get the boat home to Washington NC, and while doing that learn to sail her. Sailing her to some extent requires "offshore" since it doesn't sail well to windward and the winds tend to be from the south. IOW I will be sailing into the wind much of the time. Lots of tacking so trying to sail upwind in a channel is a non-starter. Not to mention huge bays I have to cross anyways between NJ and NC.

SailBoatData says 3.9' draft. 4 ft.

It is an old boat.
Old 28-06-2015, 15:59   #5

Boat: Tartan 30

jwcolby, I might could get interested.

You say she's an old boat, though. Did you get a survey? Feel free to PM me with more information if you'd like, and we'll discuss. The time window could work for me.

-jeff
Old 28-06-2015, 17:42   #6

I live in Forked River and maintain a 42 ft. Catamaran. I have been running Barnegat Bay for 35 years. I'm retired nod would like to help you out. Simple run to Cape May, usually an easy 12 hour motor or sail out side. Let me know if I can help.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-06-2015, 01:13   #7

Are you still looking for crew?
Im an EM doc with about 1500 miles of off shore experience and many more coast miles.
Stefan
Old 29-06-2015, 05:11   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I have discovered that buying a boat is a test in patience. I am trying to get a survey done. AFAICT the boat was sailed last year before being hauled for the winter. The yard wants to know that the fees have been paid before they float the boat for me for a sea trial.

The owner purchased a new boat so I have to discover what CG required gear is (still) on board and replace any that is not. Provision it etc. before I can make the trip home.

This whole thing is proceeding at a glacial pace but it will eventually work out.
Old 14-07-2015, 16:37   #9

Hi Jeff, are you still getting the boat and looking to move it South out of Lanoka. Let me know if I can help.

Old 14-07-2015, 17:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzyfish View Post
Hi Jeff, are you still getting the boat and looking to move it South out of Lanoka. Let me know if I can help.

I am (John). The (soon to be) PO was out of town for the last month and so nothing happened. Things are picking up again.
Old 15-07-2015, 11:49   #11

I am in lanoka harbir marina. If you need any help i will be glad to help. I believe your in the marina just across from me. I have a 1982 morgan 41' out island. I brought it up from the florida keys and back down. I am currently on a Bluewater 45 (stink pot) which I brought up from the keys. But im sure i could help you out. We are there friday night to sunday night. Let me know and good luck with the sale. Don
Old 15-07-2015, 12:06   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Sloop - s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post

I am making a run from the Barnegat down to mid-Chesapeake Bay sometime in mid-August. I have done this many times and am familiar with the route (well beyond Washington NC in fact).

Obviously I am not offering myself as crew, but still if there is any way I can offer some sort of assistance or ideas on the route and what you might encounter, feel free to send mail.

Tags
enc, sail