Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 13:54   #1

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran
pirate Experienced Sailor for 'First Mate' / Mentorship [Paid]

Hello,

I've been bitten hardcore by the sailing bug. In a little over a year, I've gone from "whats a halyard", to doing a 7 week RYA course in Gib, spending 2 months bareboat chartering various boats in the Med, to finally purchasing a new-to-me Dolphin 460 catamaran. I would probably be fine just heading out with a few friends and improving/improvising as I go, but I'm the sort of person who tries to be realistic with a reasonable dose of caution. I judge myself to be a competent, intermediate level sailor, but I am striving to be an excellent sailor.

That's where you come in: I'm looking for someone with experience to crew with me and help me develop from intermediate level to fully capable of circumnavigation. My hope is to get into this as a life-long sort of passion (I'm currently 32) and I want to really get a good foundation of skills, as well as learning the 'tricks of the trade' that you don't pick up on a 7 week course.

The boat is based in Ft. Lauderdale, planning on heading out mid-January. I would like to go to the Caribbean, but understand that would be to windward. Obviously one area I'd like to work on is high-level voyage planning. Leaving mid-Jan is pretty solid, but destination is flexible.

As for job responsibilities, I'm looking for someone primarily who enjoys teaching, as well as normal crew duties - keeping watch, helping with the various chores of living aboard, helping with inevitable repairs. I'm an engineer by trade, and keen on learning all the various boat system and how to repair them - bonus points if you're a handyman/woman with knowledge to pass on. If you enjoy cooking that is awesome, but I'm not specifically looking for a chef.

While I do hope to learn quite a bit as we go, the main goal of this is to have fun. I'm not a heavy drinker, but there will be the occasional party. I love to listen to music and the boat has a good sound system. I enjoy having friends to visit and 'playing well with others' is a must. If you're into aquatic activities - we'll have a SCUBA tankfill compressor, SUP, kayak, and kitesurfing gear onboard. I also went with a daggerboarded 'performance' cat since I hope to do more sailing than motoring.

I'm willing to pay for your services and your time, but I'm not sure what is reasonable. If you're interested in this, please contact me with an intro and sailing resume and we can work something out. Currently, I'm traveling in Chile/Antarctica/Argentina until Christmas. I may not have the best internet access in the coming weeks but I will try to get back to you ASAP.
Old 04-12-2015, 15:47   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Experienced Sailor for 'First Mate' / Mentorship [Paid]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainiao View Post
Hello,

I've been bitten hardcore by the sailing bug. In a little over a year, I've gone from "whats a halyard", to doing a 7 week RYA course in Gib, spending 2 months bareboat chartering various boats in the Med, to finally purchasing a new-to-me Dolphin 460 catamaran. I would probably be fine just heading out with a few friends and improving/improvising as I go, but I'm the sort of person who tries to be realistic with a reasonable dose of caution. I judge myself to be a competent, intermediate level sailor, but I am striving to be an excellent sailor.

That's where you come in: I'm looking for someone with experience to crew with me and help me develop from intermediate level to fully capable of circumnavigation. My hope is to get into this as a life-long sort of passion (I'm currently 32) and I want to really get a good foundation of skills, as well as learning the 'tricks of the trade' that you don't pick up on a 7 week course.

The boat is based in Ft. Lauderdale, planning on heading out mid-January. I would like to go to the Caribbean, but understand that would be to windward. Obviously one area I'd like to work on is high-level voyage planning. Leaving mid-Jan is pretty solid, but destination is flexible.

As for job responsibilities, I'm looking for someone primarily who enjoys teaching, as well as normal crew duties - keeping watch, helping with the various chores of living aboard, helping with inevitable repairs. I'm an engineer by trade, and keen on learning all the various boat system and how to repair them - bonus points if you're a handyman/woman with knowledge to pass on. If you enjoy cooking that is awesome, but I'm not specifically looking for a chef.

While I do hope to learn quite a bit as we go, the main goal of this is to have fun. I'm not a heavy drinker, but there will be the occasional party. I love to listen to music and the boat has a good sound system. I enjoy having friends to visit and 'playing well with others' is a must. If you're into aquatic activities - we'll have a SCUBA tankfill compressor, SUP, kayak, and kitesurfing gear onboard. I also went with a daggerboarded 'performance' cat since I hope to do more sailing than motoring.

I'm willing to pay for your services and your time, but I'm not sure what is reasonable. If you're interested in this, please contact me with an intro and sailing resume and we can work something out. Currently, I'm traveling in Chile/Antarctica/Argentina until Christmas. I may not have the best internet access in the coming weeks but I will try to get back to you ASAP.

I would suggest that you sail to Puerto Rico, and then make your way to the BVIs when the conditions allow. PR should be a beam to broad reach from Ft Lauderdale hoe big is your boat? Is she well-found? Do you have all the necessary safety gear? If you can find crew that has some experience, you'll learn quickly as you head south. By the time you get to Barbados, you'll be an old salt. Good luck buddy.
Old 06-12-2015, 13:23   #3
cp1

Pm sent please confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-12-2015, 16:25   #4

Boat: Iroquois 30 catamaran
pirate Re: Experienced Sailor for 'First Mate' / Mentorship [Paid]

Quote:
Hello,

Hi I am interested in a crew job for the summer months. Since I am a school teacher, I have time off around June 13-August 1st if you need someone then. Your boat is awesome and I have had a 30 foot cat for 10 years and have a captain's license as well as experience teaching people to sail. Please email me it you are interested. Oh I am 45 years old and am a good cook as well apisailing@gmail.com
Captain Courtney
Old 07-12-2015, 10:51   #5

Hey Doug, I never received it... email works too (hoeken at gmail)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1 View Post
Pm sent please confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-12-2015, 10:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincourtney View Post
Hi I am interested in a crew job for the summer months. Since I am a school teacher, I have time off around June 13-August 1st if you need someone then. Your boat is awesome and I have had a 30 foot cat for 10 years and have a captain's license as well as experience teaching people to sail. Please email me it you are interested. Oh I am 45 years old and am a good cook as well apisailing@gmail.com
Captain Courtney
Hey Courtney,

Unfortunately I think the boat will be laid up during that time for the hurricane season.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:33   #7

Hi, I'm very interested. I sent you a pm, also copied to your email. Hope to hear back from you, thanks!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:45   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

PM sent please confirm
Old 09-12-2015, 16:36   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523

Hello
I have sailed (owned & skipper) to the Bahama's and Caribbean from Boston via Bermuda and Ft. Lauderdale for the last 8 years. 30-40 thousand ocean miles.
Give me call I might be interested.
Joe 781-828-2158
Old 09-12-2015, 16:42   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523

Hello
I have sailed (owned & skipper) to the Bahama's and Caribbean from Boston via Bermuda and Ft. Lauderdale for the last 8 years. 30-40 thousand ocean miles.
Give me call I might be interested.
Joe 781-828-2158
Old 23-12-2015, 11:17   #11

Bob Burg (Charisma1937)
Columbia, SC

Sailing Resume

College graduate, have sailed the Bahamas and Caribbean for the last 40 years on sail and powerboats, mostly sail. Have owned and sailed 32’ Down east sloop, 43’ Choy Lee motor sailor, 55’ Lagoon catamaran, 65’ Hatteras long-range cruiser, and a 16’ Hobie Cat. Am experienced in the Bahamas and most of the islands in the Caribbean as far as the ABC islands. In my first life I was a freelance corporate pilot and wholesale liquor distributor. I can perform all sailing responsibilities including navigation, sail handling, standing watch, cooking, tending bar and being a good host. I’m PADI certified and I can fix minor mechanical problems, but I’m not an engineer. I require expenses to and from the boat and while engaged. Available June 1, 2015 until whenever.
Old 01-01-2016, 16:24   #12

Quote:
Hello,

YOU captain are very wise!
Old 11-01-2016, 19:23   #13

Just sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't get it.
Old 11-01-2016, 22:01   #14

Didn't get it, respond to jobobsc1@gmail.com
Old 26-01-2016, 20:27   #15

I'm a U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner with some time on my hands. If you would like my sailing CV and a suggested itinerary shoot me an email at andre@marinergallery.com.

Tags
enc, men, sail