Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 18:20   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Experienced and Available Summer of 2016

Hello,

My name is Jack, I'm 33 years of age, and I've got a 25 Ton Master Inland/Near Coastal OUPV License with towing and auxiliary sail endorsements. I recently sold my Pearson 26, which I had for 7 years and logged over 10,000 nautical miles on between New York City and the Bay of Fundy. My experience as a captain has been mostly coastal sailing, along with some offshore legs of up to 4 days across the Gulf of Maine. I've also led bareboat charter trips on 34, 43, and 51 foot sailboats, and I did a lot of racing throughout high school and college.

Sailing is my passion but 10 months a year I'm also a middle school teacher in Brooklyn, NY. I'm currently between boats, doing my best to save up for the next one, and I have two months off every summer. I would love to spend up to half of this time sailing. The better month for me to sail is definitely July, but if I plan things far enough in advance I might be able to make August work instead. I would love to get some more experience offshore, perhaps help with an Atlantic crossing if that's what you've got in mind. Shorter voyages are a good option too, of course.

I suppose I would expect that provisions at least would be provided, and some help with any necessary air travel would be a big plus, but if the voyage looked interesting enough I might be willing to pay my own expenses.

I am a calm and positive person, easy to get along with I think, and I would hope that as the captain you would be of a similar disposition. I'd prefer to crew for someone who has at least as much experience as I do, and I don't consider myself above helping with any and all tasks on board. I am reliable, strong, patient, a good problem solver, and generally capable of making myself useful on a sailboat. I also speak Spanish and Portuguese in case that's relevant. I like a good conversation and I've got an endless supply of jokes, but I can also appreciate the charm of a lengthy unbroken silence or the dark solitude of an overnight watch at the helm.

Let me know if you've got any exciting plans and you think I could be a good fit! A meeting or two beforehand in person would be much appreciated if that's possible, especially if it's before a long passage.

Best,

Jack
mynameisjack@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5901.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	114217  

Tags
enc