Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 22:27   #1

Everett WA to Kodiak AK

Looking for a delivery skipper and sailing/ seamanship instruction. I have purchased an awesome ship and I need to get her sailing. My first first voyage on her will be from Everett WA to Kodiak AK. A glorious journey north through the inside passage and crossing the Gulf of Alaska. The days will be long and the nights will be bright. It will be twilight for many hours you will see as much of the inside passage as you wish.

The boat is a stout steel decked cypress on oak cutter rigged masthead sloop. Her rigging is doubled and her bow sprit is proud.

You will be in charge of

Skippering
Navigating
Provisioning
Cooking

Coursework should cover

Setting sails
Sails
mainsails
forsails

Bearings
Wind and the boats directional heading to it

Weather

Using weather aids
Boating in weather ----- good marginal foul violent

Using modern navigational and piloting aids on board

Chartplotter
Depth sounders
Auto helm and Monitor Windvane or servo pendulum self steering mechanisms

Using on board communication equipment
VHF radio
SSB radio

Aids to Navigating
classical
modern
hand bearing compass

Travel dates are as soon as crew is found. The boat is put in on May 26th.

Send
Boat resume and a formal plan of instruction, compensation requirements, references and available dates to jed-_elson@hotmail.com
Old 12-05-2015, 14:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Everett WA to Kodiak AK

What is your compensation for a skipper that meets above requirements?
Old 12-05-2015, 16:55   #3

Thanks for the question. I am happy to discuss compensation with qualified candidates. I'm not set on how compensation would be structured and am willing to have either a budget for the journey, a fixed salary or a daily rate.
Old 12-05-2015, 19:57   #4

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Consider the trade off of cost and time and (unless there is an urgency on your timeline) that you might be wise to separate the passage from your sailing education by spending a week at a live aboard course before you set sail to Kodiak. A school has the benefit that the instruction is carefully planned and each topic is thought out and professionally presented. I know that's a sweeping endorsement that might have exceptions. And nothing against the excellent captains who are certainly out there and you might be lucky enough to find the perfect match who would be a match for the best of the schools and do so "on the fly" as you're all getting to your destination, but I know there are also other skippers who have great skill, but are not particularly talented at teaching it, especially while being right in the middle of when everyone is also busy with sailing to a destination.
If you get your training down first, at least say to ASA 101-103 (which can be as quickly as one 'fast track' week), then you could have a much more open choice of who you pick for crew - certainly someone who is still skilled, but the expectation of a complete training presentation at the same time is not being setup to lead to disappointment.
I'm not saying I was personally involved with a crew position where I was given the impression the captain (who claimed to have run a sailing school) would teach me vast amounts of sailing knowledge, but then, for the most part, didn't ... but then again, I'm not saying I wasn't either.
A good school is worth every penny and there are several to choose from. I'm not endorsing any one school, of course. And again, I'm not meaning to take away from those great captains out there who are also skilled teachers too, you may find just the right one, but I doubt there will be a cost savings going that route in any case.
Just my thoughts, hope there useful.
Happy Sailing
Old 12-05-2015, 20:28   #5

Thanks for the words of advice. Depending on when I engage crew for, I may take some local sailing lessons aboard my boat. But my primary goal is getting myself and the boat back home. I understand that on the delivery cruise we may not have time to cover all aspects of sailing, seamanship, and general boating; but with the guide of a study plan and the right captain I think a fair bit of practical knowledge could be handled on the voyage.
Old 12-05-2015, 21:03   #6

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Well then have a good sail - and may it be as educational as it will be enjoyable, you sound to have a fine boat to sail on and fine waters to sail her upon.
Old 13-05-2015, 08:41   #7

Boat: KP 46

When are you planning this trip and what is the vessel? I am a Ship master by trade, and used to run a cruise ship on the inside passage. Also a sailor, took a small sailboat around the world a few years ago. PM me and we can talk if interested.

Michael
Old 13-05-2015, 09:40   #8

trip to kodiak!! been there done that, but i was on a 57ft seiner! wonder if sailer jed can run a boat as well as he can write stories!...clyde
Old 13-05-2015, 09:53   #9

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Ahoy Sailor Jed, You are asking a lot without saying much. What is the size and draft of your boat. When and where was she built. How much if any experience do you have on the water? Have you ever been to Kodiak, AK? Have you ever been up the inside Passage? Can someone contact you to see the boat?

Be aware that once you leave the Inside Passage, you will be entering a different world, that has some of the wildest sea conditions that you can imagine out side of the Bering Sea.

So I strongly recommend that you some formal instruction from one of the Sailing Schools around Everett or Bellingham, and get to know your boat before you head North... The Coast Guard has enough work up there in those Alaskan Warers, and have you add to it...

I myself have fished too many Pollywogs, like yourself, and experienced Alaskan Fishermen. out those Alaskan Waters.... Good Luck....
Old 13-05-2015, 10:04   #10

Would be interested in the trip and teaching you all I learned in all my years Sailing and charter work in the Caribbean. I can fly up there with wife/first mate and dog/lookout and can spend up to three weeks on the trip. Not looking for pay just room and board for time spent. Have 100 ton up master of oceans and have sailed large boats worldwide. Have taught for Steve Colgate and Captained large sailing Yachts including vintage sailing vessels Contact me at dellisco@gmail.com
best
Donald
Old 13-05-2015, 10:41   #11

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Reference latest or last message. You cannot get from Everett to Kodiak in 3 weeks via Inside Passage, with the type of boat you have....
Old 13-05-2015, 11:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Sailor Jed.

Welcome to this forum!

What follows is offered in a friendly tone of voice and is suggested because your voyage is one where you wrote you want to learn (take onboard lessons while on the voyage) and most importantly because the vessel is new to you and you will be crossing the notorious Gulf of Alaska.

I have been from Juneau to Anchorage to Fairbanks. While I would enjoy cruising the coast, if I were invited to go on a delivery across the Gulf of Alaska, I would want to know a lot about the boat on which I would be voyaging and depending upon to see me through safely.

My Suggestions to the New Old Boat Owner Looking for Crew or Delivery Skipper:

Show us the Boat!
Post photos of your new/old boat, showing the current condition, size, etc. Show recent photos of the rig, the deck, the interior, the engine.

Type and Age and Condition of the Boat?
Length and draft of boat?
Describe the age of the vessel and the builder.
Give a good description of the boat with the known issues or problems or things that you already know are weak or need to be fixed.

Navigation Equipment?
What navigational equipment is aboard?
What is the age and the condition of that equipment?
Does the boat have RADAR?

Engine?
Describe the make and model.
Is the engine in good working condition and has it been recently tested?

Bilge Pumps?
Does the vessel have more than one bilge pump? Have you tested its function?
Does it have a manual bilge pump? Tested it yet?

Safety Gear?
List any safety equipment the boat has in addition to that already required.
Is there an EPIRB on the boat?
Does the boat have a life raft?
Will you rent one for the voyage?
Will you provide exposure suits (Gumby Suits) for the crew?

Sails?
Does the mainsail have two or three reefing points? Condition or age of the sails?

Anchors?
What about anchors and rode? Describe them.

Dinghy?
Is there a dinghy? What size and kind and condition?
Does the dinghy have a motor?

Another bit of advice?

Let the Delivery Skipper be the skipper, and YOU be the cook.

I hope you find this helpful. Good luck on your voyage!
Old 13-05-2015, 11:40   #13

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
Reference latest or last message. You cannot get from Everett to Kodiak in 3 weeks via Inside Passage, with the type of boat you have....
He does not give her length, even at 4kts that is 14 days travel time.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:04   #14

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

This sounds interesting... love Alaska. I'm writing from Houston. Just delivered a 42 ft Beneteau from Tampa to Kemah. Many 1000s of miles offshore in winter as well as summer. Please tell me more about your vessel re AIS, radar, life raft, communication, backup systems, etc. Pappy
Old 13-05-2015, 12:08   #15

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Steady Hand,, Excellent, important questions... Cheers, Pappy