Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 21:22   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 57 Staysail Schooner
Posts: 100
Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Skippers,

I am considering a vessel that is currently in Melbourne and I will need delivered to Perth around mid-October. I'm looking for a ballpark estimate of cost and time so that I can work out if the vessel is a viable option.

Thanks in advance.
__________________

pwillems is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 22:53   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 270
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Delivery time will depend very much on whether you sail or motor, hull speed, engines, weather etc. You would need to give more details on the boats sailing and motoring abilities and how well maintained it is.

Some people would deliver the boat for free, while others would charge, so you may want to specify the qualifications you want from the skipper and crew.
__________________

homeless is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 23:02   #3
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 57 Staysail Schooner
Posts: 100
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Delivery time will depend very much on whether you sail or motor, hull speed, engines, weather etc. You would need to give more details on the boats sailing and motoring abilities and how well maintained it is.

Some people would deliver the boat for free, while others would charge, so you may want to specify the qualifications you want from the skipper and crew.
Rigteo

The boat is a well maintained 50 ft medium displacement mono cruiser with ample engine HP and large fuel tank. I would have no problem with the skipper motoring through any lulls. It will have just been surveyed including a rig and sail inspection. Any faults will be addressed before departure.

Would only consider a professional skipper or someone with extensive experience. I guess it will depend what the insurance company's requirements are. Crew would have to be whatever the skipper deems necessary.
pwillems is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 16:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Annapolis aka sailing capital of the world
Posts: 535
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

If you are looking for a professional crew, figure the time it takes and figure paying them a professional fee for being away from home and working around the clock at sea. If you are concerned about whether or not you can afford the boat based on what it will cost to have it delivered, the "tough love" answer is that you probably cannot afford the boat. That's the plain and simple truth. Since it's a sailboat your fuel costs will be modest but it's about 2000 miles. Crew of 3 or 4 needs to get to you, prepare the boat, provision the boat and then sail and sail....say they average 150 per day times 14 days plus travel time and expenses to and from boat....do the math. What would you expect to be paid to be away from home, on the open ocean, sailing 24/7....???? My guess is at least $7000 USD for transportation and food and fuel. Now, seriously is that too much for you? Will it really have an impact on buying this boat? Sure it will, but many more people can boat a boat than can actually afford it. 7k could buy new sails, a complete re-rigging, maybe a new vinylester job and awlgrip...fancy new electronics. It certainly would not get a new engine but it might cover a rebuild, Now when you get bids will you take the lowest bidder? Again, it may sound tough to suggest that if a delivery will have a major impact on your ability to buy the boat that you probably cannot afford it--but that's the plain and simple truth. Let us know what you find out and decide! I hope you get this nice boat...
Paul Annapolis is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 16:38   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 57 Staysail Schooner
Posts: 100
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
If you are concerned about whether or not you can afford the boat based on what it will cost to have it delivered, the "tough love" answer is that you probably cannot afford the boat.
Thank you Paul for your helpful response and concern, but it is misplaced. You see I am a regular stinking rich guy. In fact, I am so flush in cash that I am pretty sure I can afford the "yacht" I spoke of above. Yes I know, it's really a lack of class to concern myself with dollars and cents, but I guess it's just my desire to sometimes stay in touch with the regular people and see how they live.

Gee, I love the internet.
pwillems is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 16:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Annapolis aka sailing capital of the world
Posts: 535
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

I guess no good deed goes unpunished. You thank me for my "helpful response and concern" and then go on in a sarcastic and rude way to explain why it is "misplaced." Heck--I was trying to help you and I based my response on decades of professional experience with boats and doing yacht deliveries and as I prefaced my remarks, I did offer "tough love" because you are the one who asked for help by saying "I'm looking for a ballpark estimate of cost and time so that I can work out if the vessel is a viable option." And I gave it to you straight! Did you think a 2000 mile delivery of a 50' boat would be a couple hundred or so? What did you expect? SERIOUSLY What did you expect??? So I really don't care if you want to be snarky and show an icon banging your head against the wall. I told you about what it would cost if I were in the states doing such a trip. And I did end my response to you by writing "Let us know what you find out and decide! I hope you get this nice boat..." You ended yours with the icon and these words . Gee, I love the internet. The internet is not the issue--but attitudes are! And my advice remains--if the cost of a delivery to a distant port has such a bearing on purchasing a yacht, you probably cannot afford it--stinking rich or not. But I do hope you get the boat and share your findings. It might be more fun than banging your head against the wall--or bashing around for 2000 miles in the Southern Ocean but it's not my concern why you won't sail the boat. My guess if you have to be earning a lot of money at your job for those two weeks so you can make those payments!
Paul Annapolis is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 17:08   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 620
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

I guess you realise the trip to Perth is uphill all the way?

Probably two weeks motoring into the roaring forties and a big swell.
olaf hart is online now  
Old 07-07-2015, 17:16   #8
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Out cruising again (Currently Norway)
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 2,350
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
I guess no good deed goes unpunished. You thank me for my "helpful response and concern" and then go on in a sarcastic and rude way to explain why it is "misplaced." Heck--I was trying to help you and I based my response on decades of professional experience with boats and doing yacht deliveries and as I prefaced my remarks, I did offer "tough love" because you are the one who asked for help by saying "I'm looking for a ballpark estimate of cost and time so that I can work out if the vessel is a viable option." And I gave it to you straight! Did you think a 2000 mile delivery of a 50' boat would be a couple hundred or so? What did you expect? SERIOUSLY What did you expect??? So I really don't care if you want to be snarky and show an icon banging your head against the wall. I told you about what it would cost if I were in the states doing such a trip. And I did end my response to you by writing "Let us know what you find out and decide! I hope you get this nice boat..." You ended yours with the icon and these words . Gee, I love the internet. The internet is not the issue--but attitudes are! And my advice remains--if the cost of a delivery to a distant port has such a bearing on purchasing a yacht, you probably cannot afford it--stinking rich or not. But I do hope you get the boat and share your findings. It might be more fun than banging your head against the wall--or bashing around for 2000 miles in the Southern Ocean but it's not my concern why you won't sail the boat. My guess if you have to be earning a lot of money at your job for those two weeks so you can make those payments!


I'm pretty sure yours was the rude response. He never said he couldn't afford it, just that he didn't have any idea what delivery would cost. I can see wanting to know this info if trying to determine if the boat is a good value. Maybe he thought the fee would be $30,000 and was pleasantly surprised with your low $7,000 figure guess.
__________________
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Rebuilt Aluminum Boat Over 2 Years... Now Back Cruising!
funjohnson is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 17:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Annapolis aka sailing capital of the world
Posts: 535
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Nope, no rudeness on my part and I gave the OP good solid advice on what would be involved and what it might cost in the states. If the Op wants, he can easily find many pros online and get an estimate right from them directly. And I will say again read this: "But I do hope you get the boat and share your findings." I have taken my vast experience and time and energy to try to be helpful and I stand by my original advice---it's tough love--if the cost of a delivery has any bearing on whether buying a 50' boat is viable or not--you probably cannot afford the boat. Take my advice or leave it but it is not rude. It is the plain and simple truth. How much is the asking or contracted price for the boat?
Paul Annapolis is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 17:23   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 57 Staysail Schooner
Posts: 100
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I'm pretty sure yours was the rude response. He never said he couldn't afford it, just that he didn't have any idea what delivery would cost. I can see wanting to know this info if trying to determine if the boat is a good value. Maybe he thought the fee would be $30,000 and was pleasantly surprised with your low $7,000 figure guess.
Spot on. I actually had guestimated around $15k , and even at that price the boat was well worth it.

Now off to make an offer on it. Very exciting!
pwillems is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 17:44   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 57 Staysail Schooner
Posts: 100
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
I guess you realise the trip to Perth is uphill all the way?

Probably two weeks motoring into the roaring forties and a big swell.
Would you go that far down? I would have thought a few coastal hops to Port Lincoln, a big jump from there to Esperance or Albany and then a few more hops to Perth.
pwillems is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 20:26   #12
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Annapolis aka sailing capital of the world
Posts: 535
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Dear PWillems That's terrific! I am glad my good, solid advice has been so helpful to you after all. And yes, you must be a rich guy flush with cash as you said if you really figured in $15k just to move your fancy new 50' yacht! Ok, so since you budgeted 15k, I'll tell you what. For only 14k I'll fly to Melbourne and I'll sail your big, fancy, 50' yacht to Perth--that's right for only 14k USD! You'll be saving a thousand bucks. Glad I could be of help. And I will say again to read this from my original and subsequent comments: "But I do hope you get the boat and share your findings." I meant it then and I mean it now. Maybe you'll seek some estimates from real pros in Australia and let us know how it works out.
Paul Annapolis is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 20:40   #13
Registered User
 
Sun and Moon's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Boat: Bristol 29
Posts: 277
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
Spot on. I actually had guestimated around $15k , and even at that price the boat was well worth it.

Now off to make an offer on it. Very exciting!
I'm guessing your estimate is closer to the mark than the $7000 estimate, though it certainly depends on who you choose. Keep us posted!
Sun and Moon is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 20:43   #14
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandurah, Western Australia
Boat: Roberts 57 Staysail Schooner
Posts: 100
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
I'm guessing your estimate is closer to the mark than the $7000 estimate, though it certainly depends on who you choose. Keep us posted!
Ideally I'd like to crew myself under an experienced skipper. The experience would be just what I need, but it will depend if I can afford the time off work.

When the time comes, I'll probably put a classified on the yacht club message board and see who responds.
pwillems is offline  
Old 07-07-2015, 22:56   #15
Registered User
 
TacomaSailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Punta Gorda Isles, SW Florida
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,150
Re: Estimate for delivery of 50ft vessel from Melbourne to Perth

I don’t know costs for Australia but have a pretty good idea for here in the US. Several of my friends are full time professional captains and do a lot of deliveries. I’ve gone along on quite a few of those trips. I’ve also done dozens of “free” deliveries for owners who wanted an experienced blue water sailor to keep them company and do some hands on training. I received transportation costs and food paid along the way.

My calculation for your 2,000 mile trip, using a San Diego captain and one crew would be about US $16,000 ($21,600 Aus $ ??) . Details follow – US dollars and gallons (sorry)

Distance 2,000 nautical miles
Motor 50% of time at 1.5 GPH and 7.0 knots with diesel at $4.50/gallon

Stop four times along the way with four one-day transient dock fees of $75 per night.

Total time underway is 15 days (average speed 6 knots) and four more days in port for supplies, fuel,
__________________

TacomaSailor is offline  
 

Tags
delivery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Delivery Skipper Wanted. Trip Spain to Perth Western Australia (WA) OldSalt1 Crew Archives 7 25-03-2015 20:47
Crew Wanted: delivery captain cape town to perth floatdaboat Crew Archives 4 01-09-2013 07:18
Sydney to Melbourne Yacht Delivery - Info? Jim Mc General Sailing Forum 33 11-07-2013 04:57
Crew Wanted: Delivery - Newcastle to Melbourne 23rd April Silvana White Crew Archives 5 21-04-2012 06:18
Crew Wanted: Delivery Captain - BVI to Melbourne, Australia dor Crew Archives 11 11-08-2011 11:45

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.