Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau First, 345
Easy trip down the coast (Sept - Oct 2013)

Hello we are a cruising couple on a nicely equipped Beneteau First 345. We are in the Chesapeake, returning from our trip to the Keys this past winter. Our boat is not for those looking for a slow comfortable bob down the coast.

Being in the initial phase of our planning for the next trip, we're entertaining the idea of looking for part time crew opportunities and potential buddy boats. We have a few places to pick up and drop off crew along the way.

We'll leave from Norfolk & run down the coast at the earliest weather window of at least 5 days or more in September. So far our plan is taking us from Norfolk to Beaufort, NC or Cape Fear, NC on the first leg. Then Cape Fear to Charleston, SC or Hilton Head Island, SC for leg two. Then Charleston, SC to Cumberland Island, GA and finally Cumberland Island / Fernandina to Ft Lauderdale or St. Augustine, FL.

Any interested parties, feel free to leave a message.

Thanks,

Capt. Ralph G.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46   #2

Re: Easy trip down the coast (Sept - Oct 2013)

What kind of experience are you wanting from crew?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50   #3

Hello grwight, we would like at least one or two people with Ocean Sailing experience. However since we are so early in our search, we are considering people with less experience for now.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32   #4

If you are considering one person with Ocean Sailing experience, I'm not the one. If you are considering two, both having Ocean Sailing experience, I would not qualify. If you are considering two, one of which has Ocean Sailing experience, I qualify as the other. If you are considering people with less experience for now to be replaced by experienced people later in your search, if successful, I'd want to be dropped by the middle of August so I might make other plans.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grwright View Post
If you are considering one person with Ocean Sailing experience, I'm not the one. If you are considering two, both having Ocean Sailing experience, I would not qualify. If you are considering two, one of which has Ocean Sailing experience, I qualify as the other. If you are considering people with less experience for now to be replaced by experienced people later in your search, if successful, I'd want to be dropped by the middle of August so I might make other plans.

As for now, I have you on the list. The important thing is getting along while offshore. I'd like to meet with anyone interested, either in Annapolis or on the boat for a quick day sail.

Details will follow in a couple days.

Thanks,

Ralph G
Old 08-07-2013, 13:52   #6

Hey Ralph,

If you'd like crew for the parts of your trip in and around NC, let me know where to meet you.

I'm not very experienced, but I have crewed a 42' Tartan (marigot - also on these forums) from Bermuda to New Bern, NC (about 800 miles of blue ocean sailing). Happy to provide a reference from that captain.

cheers,
Hunter
Old 08-07-2013, 20:54   #7

Capt Ralph,
This sounds like a great trip. I'm retired military so I have no time constraints, so I could be available for all or a part of your voyage. I have some sailing experience (ASA-104 and as crew for some boat deliveries), mostly on the Chesapeake and the Pamlico. I've not done any sailing on blue water, but I've never had sea-sickness. I am 65, but in excellent health, non-smoker, drug-free. So, if you haven’t already identified your crew, I am interested and wish you would consider me. My email is moorebrucem(at)earthlink(dot)net. Thank you. Bruce Moore
Old 09-07-2013, 06:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Moore 4 View Post
Capt Ralph,
This sounds like a great trip. I'm retired military so I have no time constraints, so I could be available for all or a part of your voyage. I have some sailing experience (ASA-104 and as crew for some boat deliveries), mostly on the Chesapeake and the Pamlico. I've not done any sailing on blue water, but I've never had sea-sickness. I am 65, but in excellent health, non-smoker, drug-free. So, if you haven’t already identified your crew, I am interested and wish you would consider me. My email is moorebrucem(at)earthlink(dot)net. Thank you. Bruce Moore

Bruce,

Are you available for day sail on the Potomac?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:56   #9

Email sent.
Old 09-07-2013, 15:29   #10

Hello,
I'm interested in your crew opportunity.

I'm a fit 50 yr. old with limited sailing experience that includes bareboat (50ft Benneteau) in the BVI's, ownership and use of a 22ft drop-keel Santana on New England lake, ASA 104 certification (acquired in BVI's), and finally membership at local New England sailing club.

David

you can reach me at beckerand at yahoo dot com
Old 29-07-2013, 17:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasata View Post
Hello we are a cruising couple on a nicely equipped Beneteau First 345. We are in the Chesapeake, returning from our trip to the Keys this past winter. Our boat is not for those looking for a slow comfortable bob down the coast.

Being in the initial phase of our planning for the next trip, we're entertaining the idea of looking for part time crew opportunities and potential buddy boats. We have a few places to pick up and drop off crew along the way.

We'll leave from Norfolk & run down the coast at the earliest weather window of at least 5 days or more in September. So far our plan is taking us from Norfolk to Beaufort, NC or Cape Fear, NC on the first leg. Then Cape Fear to Charleston, SC or Hilton Head Island, SC for leg two. Then Charleston, SC to Cumberland Island, GA and finally Cumberland Island / Fernandina to Ft Lauderdale or St. Augustine, FL.

Any interested parties, feel free to leave a message.

Thanks,

Capt. Ralph G.

Hi Capt. Ralph,

It may be a long shot but I am keen to join in on your adventure. I have no ocean sailing experience but I do have sailing experience. I am very flexible with my time.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Sarah
Old 30-07-2013, 08:44   #12

Would love to volunteer as crew for you trip. I do not have ocean experience but am very flexible with my time. I am also a great cook.
Old 30-07-2013, 11:43   #13

Experienced Sailor/Deckhand Available

Hello Captain Ralph G.,

I have extensive sailing experience as 1st mate on various sailboats as well as 6 months as Deckhand on board a 106' M/Y.
-I was part of a crew of 2 on a 32' Valiant delivery from Guatemala to Spain (via MEX, Bermuda, Azores)
-1st mate on board a 52' catamaran delivery from Honduras to Riviera Beach, FL.
-26' Hunter from Mexico to Honduras
-most recently, a 70' Ocean Alexander M/Y delivery from Ft Lauderdale to Cambridge, MD; on the outside from FL to NC, then went inside through Morehead City up through Portsmouth and up the Chesapeake.

I am very interested in getting more sea time, as I aspire to be a captain, eventually with my own boat.
Please email/message me if you are interested in my help, and I will send you my resume.

Thanks for your time,
Chris C Putnam
Old 30-07-2013, 21:38   #14

Boat: Searay, runabout, 21'

Hello Capt. Ralph,
You trip is exactly what I am looking for. Like many I dream of the sailing lifestyle but have little experience. I would like to join you and your crew for one or two segments of your trip from North Carolina to Florida. A little about me, 53 year old male, healthy, non smoker, no drugs, light social drinker, certified open water diver. I owned a 16' Hobie Cat for five years and really enjoyed sailing it. I presently own a 21' Sea Ray runabout so I do have a small amount of boating experience. I have a flexible work schedule and transportation to and from the dock is not an issue. Of course no pay and I will pay all my extra expenses. I expect to pull my weight and will help anyway possible. Will you contact me 8am-10pm est at 704 791 2710 or e-mail abwhitley@carolina.rr.com. Thank you
Bobby
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43   #15

Hi there

Im very interested in your voyage plans. I do possess both a 50 ton Inland Master's license, with Sailing and Towing Endorsements, and an Ordinary Seaman (OS) MMD. I have a TWIC card as well. My father first took me sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, out of Middle River, when I was 6 months old; I have been sailing ever since. When I was 8, I began racing on both small boats (dinghies), and Keel Boats. My keel boat racing experience includes a Cal 2-30, C&C 33, Express 35, J/22, J/24, J/29, J/30, J/35, J/42, Melges 24, Merit 25, Navy 44, and a Santa Cruz 70. My dinghy experience includes Lasers, 420s, 470s, JY15s, Thistles, and Optimists. I have done many distance races, including the Round Block Island Race and Vineyard race, both in 2008. I have been cruising my entire life. My cruising experience includes a Pearson Ariel (similar to a Pearson Triton, only smaller), a Morgan 30, Jeanneau 35, Cal 2-27, Beneteau 35.7, and currently a Bayfield 32. I have sailed offshore many times, including a trip in November 2008 from Annapolis, Maryland to St. Maarten, in the Caribbean. In June 2010, I sailed from Tortola to Providence, RI, via Bermuda, aboard a Caliber 37. I also skippered a Pearson 36 Cutter from Annapolis to Bermuda in November 2011. In early summer 2012, I started freelance work as a charter captain and have done a lot of charters with Annapolis Bay Charters. I began coaching sailing and racing when I was 13- in 2001. I have been teaching junior sailors every summer since then, teaching everything from 8 year old beginners (kids who have never set foot on a boat) to 16 year olds in advanced racing. I have taught at the Baltimore County Sailing Center for 7 summers (www.bcsailing.org), and in 2008 taught at the Tred Avon Yacht Club, in Oxford, Maryland (tayc.com). I have taught Ideal 18s, Rainbows, 420s, Lasers, Optis, and Hunter Xcites. Last summer I taught sailing aboard Lasers, Opti's, and Rainbows at YMCA Camp Letts in Edgewater, where I continued to teach school groups and private groups canoeing and team building activities through December. I am a Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor through US Sailing, and am also a Maryland Certified EMT and Firefighter.

Please email me at captcore (at) gmail (dot) com if you think I might fit with what you are looking for.

Thanks

Corey