Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 16:54   #16

Re: East Coast USA to South Pacific

Best bet is to check out my site for my current location,

sailingonpilgrim.wordpress.com

If you are in the area and want to check things out, best bet is to couch surf. I have an active profile that can be found by looking for a couch in my current location.
Old 31-07-2015, 09:04   #17

I'm very interested in becoming a part of your crew. The voyage sounds like an amazing opportunity and would greatly appreciate allowing me to take part in it.
Old 01-08-2015, 16:05   #18

Send me a private message with some information about your sailing experience and travel plans. Please include a rough itinerary of your availability. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2015, 16:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello.

Please define "shared expenses" regarding this cruise and what commitment the possible crew has to make?

Do you expect the crew to pay for all expenses? Fuel? Repairs? Mooring fees? Insurance? Etc?
Old 01-08-2015, 19:42   #20

The basic shared expenses are food, fuel, clearance fees and moorage. There may be a few other etcetera ones like satellite phone minutes depending... The costs revolve around how long one is aboard and the area cruised. I would estimate it runs in the neighborhood of US ten to twenty per day. A short length of time aboard with many stops may end up being more expensive like in parts of the Carib, but as mentioned, I have a minimalist approach. Destinations with high clearance fees are usually skipped altogether if only a short stop was planned. Some areas in the South Pacific can come out to easily less than ten a day if one lives like an islander and avoids "civilized" parts like the Society islands. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:21   #21

Hi there. I just got done spending about four months on a 47 foot cat. I am a huge surfer it's my main passion but I have fallen in love with sailing as well. I am currently in between charleston sc and Wilmington NC (went to uncw). Your trip style sounds much more preferable than my last one which was too much motoring and general lack of respect for the environment. I'm 32 years old fyi. Let me know if you're interested in anything else.

Julia
Old 02-08-2015, 17:59   #22

I am relatively new to surfing but it has moved up my list of priorities. The boat can be a fantastic asset but in some ways surfing is making things even harder as it is difficult enough already on trying to find the ideal anchorage but now it has to be within paddling distance to a good break.

I was in Wrightsville Beach last month as there is a well protected anchorage a block from a beach that is a surf spot. I never saw more than one to two feet.... I moved farther north to take the edge off the hurricane threat but no surf in the Chesapeake.

Send me a PM with your schedule/availability and make sure you check out my old site to get a sense of my cruising style.

sailingonpilgrim.wordpress.com

Jonas
Old 07-08-2015, 18:04   #23

Hello, I hope this message finds you well.

I saw your post regarding your trip to the south pacific. I have been planning to do this trip at some point so this post comes at a great time. I am currently in the Puget Sound teaching sailing, among other things and am looking to learn more about open ocean sailing.

I have means to get to the East (I grew up in Barnaget Light, NJ) and am open to learning. I pride myself in my work ethic and passion for adventure. I am a quick learner and willing to put in the time doing the tough work. IN addition I have been cooking professionally since I was 16 (I'm 24) so I would love to cook up some meals for you ( I specialize with using limited ingredients and making meals from scrath.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Sincerely,
Riley S.
Old 08-08-2015, 21:52   #24

Hello !

I'm a 22 yo diving instructor, as well as EFR instructor and O2 provider. I've been teaching around the world for a couple of years, and I'm in Mexico at the moment, willing to head south !

What is your current location ? I'd love to join the team if you still have room aboard !

Speak soon,
Sarah

Happy days !
Old 09-08-2015, 19:15   #25

I am still in Annapolis in the Chesapeake. There will be crewing opportunities for passages down the road but for now I am focusing on getting south either by coastal hopping down the east coast or by doing an offshore passage when hurricane season ends. If you are in the area and can actually come by the boat without incurring much expense, it would be ideal. I am an active couch surfer and can be found by searching for a couch in Annapolis. If you are interested in crewing later, meaning after November or are interested in an area I will be passing through later, you should PM me with your travel itinerary. This way, I can build a list of potential crew.

Tags
east coast, south pacific