Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 11:08   #1

Newbie Eager To Crew

Upbeat, fit, and motivated newbie guy based out of New Orleans eager to commit to a sailing crew for weeks or months.

Aim to gain sailing skills and experience from good people so down the road I can wisely acquire and purchase my own sailboat. But good people matter! Enjoyable crew mates rank higher than some ostentatious fancy sailboat or specific destination by far.

Available on short notice -- I would jump on an offer especially if over next weeks! Will do all I can (within a budget) to get myself to your location to join you. Miami? Caribbean? Onward? Passport ready.

Boating experience, completion of a Hurricane Island Outward Bound Sailing course, an intensive 8-day course of sailing, navigating, and rowing aboard a small 30-foot open sailboat -- worked closely with 12 adults using only wind and muscle power as propulsion, sleeping on deck under a tarp, and taking turns at anchor watch. Grew up with powerboats on Lake Pontchartrain and Bogue Falaya river. What I lack for in experience I make up for with a positive, dependable and hard-working attitude.

Served two years in the US Peace Corps in southern Africa. Earned Master's degree in Computer Science. Ran Chicago marathon. Native of New Orleans. 44, fit, non-smoking, no drugs, enjoys a beer, good sense of humor, appreciates gregarious crew mates.

If it sounds like you could use me, don't hesitate to contact me. You would not regret it.

Thanks!
-Andrew
Old 09-04-2014, 12:34   #2

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48
Re: Eager To Join Your Crew

Texas to Guatemala on May 2nd. Five weeks through Isla Mujeres and Belize.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontno1 View Post
Texas to Guatemala on May 2nd. Five weeks through Isla Mujeres and Belize.
Thanks for the post. I'd be very interested in hearing more about your Texas to Guatemala trip. Let me see if I can contact you through your forum profile. (Haven't done this before.) One moment.

-Andrew
Old 09-04-2014, 13:27   #4
cruiser

I've seen a lot of "I'd like to crew" posts in my day but this is by far the best one. Anybody that has done Hurricane Island Outward Bound, has a masters in a technical field and doesn't balk at sleeping outside under a tarp is the ultimate crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has half a dozen boats to choose from shortly. I'd pick him if i needed crew.
Old 09-04-2014, 13:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
I've seen a lot of "I'd like to crew" posts in my day but this is by far the best one. Anybody that has done Hurricane Island Outward Bound, has a masters in a technical field and doesn't balk at sleeping outside under a tarp is the ultimate crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has half a dozen boats to choose from shortly. I'd pick him if i needed crew.
I greatly appreciate the strong vote of confidence, oceannavigator -- especially regarding the Hurricane Island Outward Bound course! That course remains not only one of the finest sailing endeavors I could have completed but also one of the toughest challenges that I or anyone anywhere could have the privilege to experience. The skills and lessons remain second to none. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:06   #6

Re: Newbie Eager To Crew

Hi, I am Gary, 67, in New Zealand and sailing onward towards Indonesia area. My boat is a Roberts 41' ketch, compressor, watermaker and all safety items. Interested?
Old 11-04-2014, 16:44   #7

Boat: Catamaran Lavezzi 40

Hi there. You can check my post and contact me if interested:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-123751.html

It's atlantic crossing but might be only a part if you want bahamas to bermuda or Acores, ie.
Old 13-04-2014, 13:46   #8

Re: Newbie Eager To Crew

41' Morgan OI leaving NYC to Panama in need of crew.
If Interested please contact Sean: mrg at gmail dot com
Old 13-04-2014, 20:23   #9

Boat found! Crew joined! Thank you all for the interest and offers. Safe sailing!

Tags
crew