Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 19:57   #1

Dinghy Sailor looking to get offshore

Hi

I’m Keith, a recent high school graduate (17 years old) and current dinghy sailing instructor. I have elected to take a gap year between high school and university to travel and sail. I am looking for a crew position with a seasoned captain; someone that can show me the ropes to offshore sailing with a solid boat. I’m very comfortable trimming sails, steering, and everything else to do on small boats but I don’t have any offshore experience. I’m eager to learn and I take directions well.

I did very well in high school. I graduated on the honor roll with distinction as well as receiving many other awards. I was heavily involved in the music program as well as other sports and clubs. I have had many paid and volunteer positions over the last few years. I could have gone straight to university, but I’d rather travel and find out what it is I really want with my life first.

I am comfortable with the sleep schedule required for watch duty. I’m an early riser by nature. I also enjoy cooking (I’m not amazing, but I enjoy it). I’m healthy, athletic, fit, good eyesight, and I don’t have any allergies except for cats.

I am currently committed to coaching sailing in Vancouver, BC so I am unavailable until Labour Day weekend (August 30th). After that, I’m hoping to set sail off the West coast of Canada or the United States starting in September or later. Once we've left, the more places we go the better.

Basically, I’m a well-rounded High school graduate who really wants to go sailing. I’ll share the work load, do some cooking, and follow orders.

If you would like to know more about me or are interested in me as a crew feel free to PM me. I have a resume and references available.
Old 18-08-2014, 17:08   #2

Re: Dinghy Sailor looking to get offshore

Good decision, wish I did that at your age. You should look Into the ba haha for crew positions. I might be taking my boat south then west in November. I'm in the SF bay right now. She's not a big boat but she is a boat, I'm 28 been sailing forever and I'm ready to skate outa here before it gets cold and wet again this winter. Email me if ur interested in talking more david@3strandmedia.comATTACH]86771[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1408406718.714065.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	86772

-Davey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1408406702.632902.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	86771  
Old 18-08-2014, 18:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Dinghy Sailor looking to get offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungCanadian View Post
Hi

I’m Keith, a recent high school graduate (17 years old) and current dinghy sailing instructor. I have elected to take a gap year between high school and university to travel and sail. I am looking for a crew position with a seasoned captain; someone that can show me the ropes to offshore sailing with a solid boat. I’m very comfortable trimming sails, steering, and everything else to do on small boats but I don’t have any offshore experience. I’m eager to learn and I take directions well.

I did very well in high school. I graduated on the honor roll with distinction as well as receiving many other awards. I was heavily involved in the music program as well as other sports and clubs. I have had many paid and volunteer positions over the last few years. I could have gone straight to university, but I’d rather travel and find out what it is I really want with my life first.

I am comfortable with the sleep schedule required for watch duty. I’m an early riser by nature. I also enjoy cooking (I’m not amazing, but I enjoy it). I’m healthy, athletic, fit, good eyesight, and I don’t have any allergies except for cats.

I am currently committed to coaching sailing in Vancouver, BC so I am unavailable until Labour Day weekend (August 30th). After that, I’m hoping to set sail off the West coast of Canada or the United States starting in September or later. Once we've left, the more places we go the better.

Basically, I’m a well-rounded High school graduate who really wants to go sailing. I’ll share the work load, do some cooking, and follow orders.

If you would like to know more about me or are interested in me as a crew feel free to PM me. I have a resume and references available.
First of all, well written. There are many on here much older who should take lessons from you.

Have you all the required paper work and documents you need in order? That would obviously include a valid passport in your name, as well as vaccinations which may be required to visit certain countries. You may want to look at noonsite.com for exact details of what various countries require.

Your age of 17 may cause some issues, so how close are you to your 18th birthday?

Tags
dinghy, offshore, sail