Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 14:18   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Shorebird, do you really think I would let my insurance company make the final decision on my skipper? Really?

And, is Lloyds reputable?
It's interesting how a simple post is not read through thoroughly by contributors, i clearly understood your intentions, your requirements and your rate payable.

My thoughts were you would be successful in your search.

A few years ago, if i read an advertised job/position in SEEK.COM i never would of thought of responding to the advert with comments that the rewards offered where not adequate or give advice on the position offered. Instead i would move on and look further.

VERIFIABLE REFERENCES REQUIRED.....Says it all!!! Could not be clearer :-)

If you wanted insurance advice i believe the thread would have been titled differently.

Agree with Atoll totally LMAO.

HAPPY NEW YEAR....
Old 31-12-2011, 14:27   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's shore based delivery companies/skippers who'll turn their nose up at $100/day + expense's...
Then there's live aboard cruisers who'll take the job for that price.. and a few are well capable of insurance approval...
I guess Palarran's looking to hire experience... not designer wear...
Its a nice fun run... though I'd prefer Faial to Sao Miguel...
Thanks Boatman. I haven't made a decision yet but the top cantidates so far are circumnavagators, not delivery skippers.

The reason for Sao Miguel is that is where the flights from Boston land and I am changing crew in the Azores. I am hoping we have 5 to 7 days to explore the islands before leaving for Gibraltar.
Old 31-12-2011, 14:34   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Boatman. I haven't made a decision yet but the top cantidates so far are circumnavagators, not delivery skippers.

The reason for Sao Miguel is that is where the flights from Boston land and I am changing crew in the Azores. I am hoping we have 5 to 7 days to explore the islands before leaving for Gibraltar.
The reason for Faial and Horta is Peters Bar... I like sousing the crew... then hoping we have 5 to 7 days to recover...
Have a grand trip...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 31-12-2011, 14:40   #19

It would be a shame to not experience Peters Bar. But, from what I've read, Ibiza is the real party spot - well, at least if your between 20 and 40. I'll have fun from the side lines.
Old 31-12-2011, 14:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
It would be a shame to not experience Peters Bar. But, from what I've read, Ibiza is the real party spot - well, at least if your between 20 and 40. I'll have fun from the side lines.
Last time I strolled the streets of Ibiza Town... the bars were into drag acts, whips and leather... that was the late 90's...
Wonder if its changed much...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-01-2012, 14:15   #21

if you have LLoyds, please look at the fine print.....3 guys on board a minimum.....anytime!
Old 02-01-2012, 15:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
if you have LLoyds, please look at the fine print.....3 guys on board a minimum.....anytime!

i think the op is well aware of that,he only wants a skipper so he can party with the 3 russian girls he has asked along as crew.......
Old 02-01-2012, 15:21   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran
I wonder if the guys who are advising me about insurance have ever actually shopped it, negociated it, and bought it. Does your boats policy cost $10k per year? I purchase a half million dollars of insurance per year and have for over 20 years. Please, if I need an unqualified opinion, I'll ask you for it. If I need a qualified one, I'll call my agent.

I'll still state this simple FACT. QUALIFIED DELIVERY CAPTAINS ARE AVAILABLE IN LARGE QUANTITIES FOR $100/DAY.
Unfortunately, I would agree with you, the market is stuffed with skippers and the professionals are often forced to compete with very competent amateurs who will undercut or virtually do it for the out of pocket costs. It's a nonsense industry.

Dave
Old 03-01-2012, 09:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Unfortunately, I would agree with you, the market is stuffed with skippers and the professionals are often forced to compete with very competent amateurs who will undercut or virtually do it for the out of pocket costs. It's a nonsense industry.

Dave
The guy I work for who runs a charter operation is a very accomplished captain who has very specific ways he does things and he's very cool and up front about saying "if you don't like my pay scale or rules, that is absolutely okay and I wish you the best of luck in your search."

I've picked up jobs he wouldn't touch and they've worked out for me, but I can see why he's much more selective. He's got his steady job running the charter business and although it's flexible enough to allow him to make deliveries he'll only commit himself if he knows that all his bases are covered. If he goes to sea, the math works. If he stays in port, the math works.

The "professional" delivery skipper, to me, has to have enough financial means to allow them to hold tight to a rate and more importantly be selective on the boats and people they're working with.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18   #25

To finalize my part of this thread, my search for a skipper has been fulfilled. I received ninty seven responses from findacrew. The guy I have selected has done one complete circumnavagation with the return around the Cape of Good Hope. He also had done two other Trans-Atlantic's, with one on a Leopard 46 catamaran. Plus he had done many other near shore deliveries and worked as a sailboat charter captain for several years in the Balearic's. Besides the personality fit that I think we have, he is currently in Antigua and heading to St. Maarten in a month. His home port is Ibiza so I don't have any travel expenses.

Now, if any of you have some good suggestions for cruising the Balearic's, they would be appreciated. (I'll start a new thread )

I still have to check his references but feel confident they will be good. Thanks All,
David.
Old 04-01-2012, 13:50   #26

Boat: Member Boston Sailing Center

I just wonder why the captain is slumming around on this site when he apparently got all the responses that he needed on find-a-crew?
Old 04-01-2012, 14:11   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkerberg View Post
I just wonder why the captain is slumming around on this site when he apparently got all the responses that he needed on find-a-crew?
Oi.... less o the 'slumming' mate....
He's communing with 'common man'... an entirely different thing...

Old 04-01-2012, 14:16   #28

That's interesting. See, I wonder why you would wonder that.

Maybe it would be because I've slummed around this site for four years while planning this trip? Maybe it is because I know there are some really good sailers that read these threads? Maybe I posted it here THEN posted in on findacrew?

But

You are probably right. Knowing that the typical poster doesn't even read the original thread post, and knowing that once a thread goes way off base there's no chance of bringing it back in focus, and knowing that in the end, I'll probably regret the effort, I shouldn't have. Your comments definatly confirmed I made a mistake.
Old 04-01-2012, 14:24   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Palarran..... re cruising the Balearic's... the best of Ibiza is on the NE corner... past San Antonio...
Mallorca is much better cruising with Minorca the Cherry on the Cake...
Some of the old anchorages like Andratx are now bouyed up but its still a nice area to cruise...

Old 04-01-2012, 15:01   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

might be an idea to look for marina space now,if you haven't allready and pay for a year,or 6months,as transient berthing for a boat your size will be euro $200-300 a night during high season.

also when on the northerly side of the islands,anchored in some cala's be aware of the mistrals and tramontanas,they can bring gale force winds and turn a sheltered anch into a trap.

Tags
delivery, skipper