Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 12:41   #16

Re: Delivery - Seattle to San Francisco bay area

We have sailed all over the place and put in lots of offshore miles but the roughest weather I have been is 150 miles off the Wa/Or coast. There is no doubt that this area has some of the roughest seas out there without going to the Southern ocean but with lots of time and prudence it can be daysailed (code for motored) Todays weather is reasonably accurate for a 2-3 day period and that is lots of time to get you some miles but as others have said it is only for experienced skippers and time is not your friend.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:49   #17

In the last month we've had winds to 70+ mph and seas to 35 ft on the coast of WA. If you do decide to truck it... post again as there are precautions in doing so.

Old 02-01-2015, 17:57   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

From personal experience with moving a newly purchased boat along this coast with similar offshore experience, trucking is the safest and CHEAPEST way to go. By the time we procured winter moorage to await the spring window, thoroughly familiarized ourselves with our 30 yo boat, accomplished our surveyors MUST fix items, negotiated the insurance rider, beefed up the crew experience and the diver to strip gear picked up eight miles from our destination costs easily exceeded the truck costs. We consider ourselves lucky and poorer for going the sea route; even more so after a major remit that ran into some pretty significant deficiencies. Remember like your Lafitte our Perry is 30 years old.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-01-2015, 18:28   #19

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

The earliest we've done it was the first of April and we harbor hopped... And at that, we were stuck in Ft. Bragg for two weeks waiting out a storm.. 17 feet every 8 seconds..... not a nice place to play......
Old 07-01-2015, 20:23   #20

Boat: 44 Lafitte

So I've learned that is not safe to sail long offshore passages in the pacific northwest (from Humboldt north) between September - May.

How about San Diego up the coast to San Francisco?
I know its beating against the wind the whole time, but I also know there are many larger harbors, and it seems safer. However I was hoping for more CF wisdom before I consider looking for a boat that far away from home.
Old 07-01-2015, 21:21   #21

gathem, something you might consider is if you buy a boat out of California, and keep it out for 6 months, you dont have to pay Calif sales tax (unless the law has changed since I did it). With the previous mention of 45 days in Washington, and over the border to BC, and another 45 days, which I think is renewable, you might be able to get to late spring/early summer and then go south, saving 8%. I did one delivery from Seattle to SF and had to motor almost the whole way, but that is very unusual. If you do decide to keep it out of state, save every marina bill, and any other bill to show proof that it didnt return to Calif for 180 days. Just something to think about. ______Grant.
Old 07-01-2015, 21:43   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm not sure what it is exactly that you're asking. Though it sounds as if you want the blessing of folks on here regarding it being "safe" to make a long oceanic delivery up the Pacific Coast in Winter. And that getting the vessel there now, on her own bottom is to you, THE option.
If I'm incorrect, my apologies. However, if I am, I'm curious as to your motivations. Particularly in light of what's been posted thus far.

Yes, further down the coast, there are more harbors, & perhaps, the weather isn't routinely quite as vicious. Though, not to make light of things, but I'm not certain that anyone in the vicinity of Catalina, would agree with you.
Have you read the link to the other thread on a sister topic to this one? Or actually tracked a few of these storms; offshore, and near shore? It's good practice for anyone planning to sail much. As you need to be able to both be able to track systems, as well as pretty reliably predict what they're going to do.
Both with & without a computer, & lots of fancy weather models & non-organically gathered weather data.
The without part being the most important bit.

FYI: At this time of year, even as far south as San Diego, I've seen some harbor mouths totally closed out, due to surf breaking fully across their entrances.
And for that matter, surfed 15'-20' waves in 30kt winds, from 50-60 miles N. of LA, all the way down past the S. end of Catalina (and to San Diego) in JULY.

To get some idea as to what a wise skipper & crew would want done to the boat for trips like you're proposing, look at the other thread. Yes, it's an abridged version, but the full one would take a couple of pages of text, minimum. Which should give some idea of the cost just for the prep, prior to undertaking such a delivery. And then again, once the vessel arrives @ it' new home.

Perhaps you might look upon the content in this thread as the beginnings of a budding skipper's nautical judgment. AKA what not to do, & the when & why of it. And that at times such things are as important or more so, than what to do & when.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 07-01-2015, 22:23   #23

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Gathem, yes, San Diego to San Francisco is more do-able in winter, but it's still a long trip with serious exposures and overnight trips between ports and of course short periods of daylight. And it doesn't help you much if your boat is in Seattle.

One interesting statement in the original post is that the boat is "ready to go". Is this because you have a lot of history with the boat, or have you been doing shakedown cruises out in the Strait during windy days?

Wild crazy idea... what do folks think?:
Maybe getting a couple of sea dog crew to go with you on a winter ocean cruise for a few days out-and-back might be interesting. If you go to, say, the Swiftsure Bank and back in F6-F8 and come back smiling, you're either ready to consider the southbound trip or ready for the nice young folks with the special jacket.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00   #24

Boat: Alajuela 38

Available for west coast winter work. North or south. Experienced. $125/24hr. Currently tied up in Astoria. Resume upon request.

Tom
SV Tatoosh
Old 08-01-2015, 14:15   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gathem View Post
My highest goal is always safety. Of course a new owner would love to get his boat home to his native waters and take it out sailing as soon as possible. However I am not going to risk the safety of a captain, myself, my wife, or the vessel so that I can sail a bit sooner.

We are looking into the cost of trucking. I appreciate greatly the wisdom of CF, and will not ignore resounding advice from many far more experienced sailors than I.
Hello I contacted you on us hip and on sail net and I don't truck anymore but will advise you if trucking the boat make sure to investigate the shipper and require a copy of freight insurance binder for your vessel prior to them hauling your boat if they don't provide that paperwork don't use them Rob aka newhaul
Old 08-01-2015, 17:40   #26

Boat: 44 Lafitte

Allow me to explain.
We talked to many shippers, and got many quotes. We did a sea trial on the boat, and while its a sound condition sailing vessel, it also has a lot of projects.

The survey was clear, but she needed a refit. Spending our whole budget on a boat that needed a refit and would cost $5k -7k + to get home in the next 6 month was not appealing.

We reluctantly started looking for a different boat.

However; before I start looking at boats in San Diego/LA area, I want the blessing of the veterans who know the area, that it is reasonable to bring her home in the winter.

Another thing we learned while sea trialing the boat, was its a bit bigger than we needed, and docking was trickier than we wanted. We docked it without yelling, nor crashing into anything, but it was not easy. So we are looking at a smaller, newer boat, which is more familiar to the boats we have been sailing.

SOOOO

15-20ft swells and 30 knots of wind does not scare me. We've sailed those conditions before. 30-50 ft swells & 50+kts of wind on the other hand do. However, with internet being what it is, we can monitor the swells, and wind, and avoid such conditions pretty well (what I do every time I want to go sailing).

I think my wife and I + maybe 1 experienced crew could beat against the wind/motor our way north just fine.
The first thing I did was had an in-depth look at the weather. Its much more mild than the NW pacific coast. There are many more, and in general larger harbors. We will try our best to harbor hop during the day, and motor sail to cover distance.

If this is still crazy, I would love to hear why. It is specifically why I posted.
Old 08-01-2015, 23:14   #27

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

It's quite doable, main thing is watching weather windows from Santa Barbara to Morro Bay and then to Monterey. Calm nights might be good for motoring.
Old 27-01-2015, 09:40   #28

Hi,

Still looking for a skipper?
Old 27-01-2015, 18:52   #29

Boat: Pearson 28.1

Gathem, I'm new here with limited offshore experience. I've used this resource before, you may have it already: United States Coast Pilot®
Old 28-01-2015, 09:37   #30

still looking for a skipper?

Tags
delivery, san francisco, seattle