Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 02:54   #1
cruiser

Delivery Crew Needed

Hello,

I'm looking for a delivery crew to deliver my boat (45' Gulfstar Hirsh) from Maine, USA to Melbourne, Australia.

Please contact with estimates and time frames. Need estimate for buyer.

Thank you,

Sean
Old 27-05-2007, 04:56   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Hello,

I'm looking for a delivery crew to deliver my boat (45' Gulfstar Hirsh) from Maine, USA to Melbourne, Australia.

Please contact with estimates and time frames. Need estimate for buyer.

Thank you,

Sean
I should add that I'm looking for the skipper as well. I have a boat to modify/build, so I don't have the time.
Old 27-05-2007, 05:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Ballpark delivery cost is between $2.00 - $3.50 per mile for skipper & 2 crew (or much more).
Accordingly, budget between $20,000 & $40,000 + expenses.
You're talking nearly half way 'round the world (East Coast at 79 Deg W & Melbourn @ 145 Deg E.)

Old 27-05-2007, 06:46   #4

Boat: Admiral 38 S/V Windigo
Gord Have you gotten a quote from dockwise? I was going too use them when i brought Wndigo from the BVI it was 10,000 grand at the time.

Keith
Old 27-05-2007, 08:25   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
we received a quote from Dockwise to ship Sea Trek From Panama to Encinada Mexico and was quoted $20,000.00 and that is a short trip. They have increased their pricing considerably.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 27-05-2007, 13:30   #6
cruiser

I did send an inquiry to Dockwise. Being it's a holiday weekend, I'm sure it will be a couple of days for a response. Also, they said they only operate on 3 continents. I'm assuming North America and Europe... hopefully Australia is one?
Old 27-05-2007, 13:33   #7

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I could consider it, need $2.00 NZ per mile ( about $1.50 US) plus expenses, might be able to save a few dollars as afterwards only need to return to NZ. Crew on top of that. If you wish to discuss it further email me at dana-tenacity@usa.net

Cheers

David
Old 27-05-2007, 13:36   #8

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Reading your other thread you may need to replace the main before we leave. Why don't you do at least part of the trip yourself as you really wanted to cruise the boat?
Old 27-05-2007, 13:57   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
Reading your other thread you may need to replace the main before we leave. Why don't you do at least part of the trip yourself as you really wanted to cruise the boat?
Because it's a delivery and that isn't cruising.

Plus... I have a boat to build and winter is coming. Ok, it's spring, but you have to be ready up this far North. I need to have the boat ready to live on and so cannot afford to take the time off. Plus... it's not cruising.

Of course we will have the main replace for that trip. The boat will be prepped as the delivery skipper dictates. I am not going to be part of any tragedy at sea. Nothing will be skimped on as far as safety.
Old 27-05-2007, 15:51   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I did send an inquiry to Dockwise. Being it's a holiday weekend, I'm sure it will be a couple of days for a response. Also, they said they only operate on 3 continents. I'm assuming North America and Europe... hopefully Australia is one?
If this the ship that sinks, drive boat's on and refloat, they definetly come to OZ, not sure if Melbourne is on their port of call list, but Brisbane certainly is.

Of course as suggested earlier, if you fast cruised/delivered her yourselve's, you'd have a pile of cash that you won't have paid a delivery crew, and you'll be in Australia, and may choose to stay.

You keep saying U.S. give's you the $hit's, might be the change you need.

Your $$$$ goes a bit further here as well, gotta be happy with that.

Dave
Old 27-05-2007, 19:45   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
You can also cradle the boat and ship it as deck cargo on a freighter. When we were in Cape Verde Islands, there were two ARC boats that had problems - one dismasted and one had a keel problem that resulted in leaving the boat in the remote Cape Verde Islands for a short time. The largest yacht was an Oyster monohull at least 60 feet in length, and when we pulled into Cape Verde it was sitting in the Harbor without a mast.

We sailed transatlantic - 16 days approx - put the anchor down in Barbados, and while sitting at anchor we saw a freighter go by that had both of the Cape Verde yachts as deck cargo. They arrived one day after we did after our transatlantic run.

I was talking to a friend who wants to ship a 40 foot yacht to Israel from Fort Lauderdale, and he could ship it as deck cargo for less than half the cost of Dockwise if he shipped the boat from Charleston.

He also found that he could ship by Dockwise at reduced rates during the off season.

One of my friends shipped his 48 foot catamaran from Auckland to Vancouver as deck cargo on a regular freighter.

Before I would spend 30,000 - 40,000 dollars for delivery or shipping by Dockwise, I would investigate the other possiblities as deck cargo. You might find a good deal out there.

Cheers,
Old 27-05-2007, 20:13   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
It's all downhill...

I looked at the possibility of buying in America and bringing the boat to Australia.

Delivery is a real killer. Then Aussie customs will think of a large number and double it.

Unless your buyer is planning on giving you cash in hand before the boat goes anywhere I would forget it.

The only way that I can see that makes sense is to get a deposit (say 20%) and to deliver the boat yourself. That way if it all falls through you can sell the boat in Oz.

Still it's got to be at least 6 months, but downhill all the way. Make a nice cruise.
Old 27-05-2007, 20:27   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Check out Yacht Path International. I have no idea where they go but it's worth checking.

Yacht Path International | Yacht Transportation Worldwide | Boat Delivery | Yacht Carrier
Old 28-05-2007, 03:59   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
Unless your buyer is planning on giving you cash in hand before the boat goes anywhere I would forget it.
I did business in NYC in my past. The boat doesn't go anywhere and no paperwork is completed until the wire for 100% of the cost clears my account.
Old 29-05-2007, 04:20   #15

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
There is a similar thread on another board. This fellow is taking a different approach; He is offering the use of his boat "free" if someone will bring it from the Caribbean and across the Pacific. Link: Boat offered from Caribbean to NZ - Cruiserlog's Sailing Forums and Free Cruising Crewfinder

He has gotten several responses. I figure (and maybe he figures) that there are experienced skippers "between" boats, or perhaps own a smaller or older boat that is not really up to a trans-pacific voyage or don't have the time or money for a round trip / circumnavigation.

I'd be interested to see how his offer turns out. Maybe you could take the same approach.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound