Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 08:19   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Delivery Capt Needed

OK let's put an end to all this talk about rounding the horn. No one is going to be sailing around Cape Horn going from the Med to Malaysia and highly unlikely to sailing around the Horn of Africa in the current political climate.

Perhaps the OP was thinking Cape of Good Hope (often just called "the Cape") when referring to "around africas cape horn then onn across the indian ocean" sic. This is similar to the route the Portuguese and Dutch spice traders pioneered.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 24-02-2012, 10:08   #32

Contact Alan on ajmbwas(at)ntlworld.com I may well be interested.
Old 28-02-2012, 00:48   #33

Dear Captain

Many people have given you sound and sincere suggestions. I feel as others Captains have stated that shipping your vessel is a better idea, considering the likelihood of wear on the vessel from the journey as well as for time, safety and insurance reasons and Etc. The cost in the long run may not be that different comparing deck transport to a private delivery.
However, if you do end up having to use her own hull to South East Asia, may I suggest that you conduct a proper survey of the Bavaria well prior to departure. The money invested for the survey and any possible repairs done may save you time and money. This could be even more true if the vessel has not had a survey recently.
Good thoughts and safe journey
Cheers
Old 28-02-2012, 07:39   #34

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I would agree with those who suggest selling your boat and buying again in Asia. That just makes sense I think considering the cost and wear and tear getting boat there.

If it was my boat and I was going to take it to Malaysia or the Philippines I would go west through Panama. Further but much more benign conditions and you are not having to go upwind.
Old 28-02-2012, 17:56   #35

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptBill88

Will do it for $85 per day. USCG licensed captain just back from a delivery from Panama to San Diego. Sorry for people that give decent captains a bad name because of their inflated ego. I have references and would be happy to do this for you.
Old 28-02-2012, 18:10   #36

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill88 View Post
Will do it for $85 per day. USCG licensed captain just back from a delivery from Panama to San Diego. Sorry for people that give decent captains a bad name because of their inflated ego. I have references and would be happy to do this for you.
All in? Have you considered crew (insurer will likely require 3 pax), food, fuel, parts, port dues,cooking gas, flights? Just interested........
Old 29-02-2012, 07:40   #37

Boat: Grampian 26

85 a day plus per Diem, for skipper and crew, assume crew and expenses would be extra and as required, that's how I would do it and air fare to launch and from destination.
Old 29-02-2012, 08:08   #38

2 crew will suffice in addition to me. Transit the Panama and Suez canal instead of the Horn. Not even a consideration !! Stay well clear of Somalia in the Gulf of Aden. Should be ok. Hell of a trip.
Old 29-02-2012, 14:16   #39

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill88 View Post
2 crew will suffice in addition to me. Transit the Panama and Suez canal instead of the Horn. Not even a consideration !! Stay well clear of Somalia in the Gulf of Aden. Should be ok. Hell of a trip.
No quite sure what your saying, here. Transit Panama and Suez?? Why?!!!

Lets break this down, shall we.

Firstly, since we are not given the exact start position, I've taken the middle of the Med as a start point (Sicily - I've have fond memories of the place!),

There are two possible routes: East about or West about.

Going West, you exit the Med at Gibraltar (another fine run ashore and good provisioning and fuel). Across the Atlantic (pretty standard run) down to Panama, After the Canal Transit, a Pacific transit via Hawaiian Islands etc to Philippines. Rough mileage 14,774.

East about. Firstly, I don't think any insurance company will ensure the route through the Gulf of Aden - no matter how far away you keep from the Somali coast (which in any event would put you closer to Yemen which is, presently, just as 'orrible!). IMHO therefore, the Suez canal is out of the picture.

Also - that gets rid of the "Horn" (of Africa that is).

Therefore, you exit the Med as before and work your way down to round the CAPE (of Good Hope), cross the Indian Ocean (keep South, pirates are anywhere from Seychelles to just off the coast of Southern India), head for Bali then up through the South China Sea to Philippines. Rough mileage 14,148.

This route just described is what I think the original poster was suggesting, except he called the Cape of Good Hope the Horn by mistake.

I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting a route around Cape Horn!!??

We still haven't satisfactorily addressed this ridiculous notion that it can be done for 85 bucks a day!

Tony
Old 29-02-2012, 14:34   #40

I think insurance will be a problem, no matter the East or West route. $85 per day is just for me, not including expenses. But, Dock Wise transport would probably be the smartest business decision. If an adventure is wanted, then by all means, lets go !!

Tags
delivery