Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 12:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Day Sailor Wanted

Hello

Name is Michael and by boat is in Los Alamitos Bay Landing by Long Beach, California. I have a 35foot sailboat that I want to take out more often. I am looking for someone who knows about sailing and who would enjoy doing day/afternoon sailing in this area. I am not experienced. I don't know how to reef, I have never anchored, and several times going down wind I sorta ended up making a surprising U turn towards the wind. I am still not sure why that happens but it has on occasion. The boat is sound. There are flares, fire extinguishers, a horn, safety jackets (but it would be best if you brought your own), and the radios work. I have a chart of the area and a small hand-held GPS. Currently, there is only on small anchor to use off the stern as the main one off the bow is not yet set up. I do have Boat US towing membership.

Additionally, the slip where I am is a bit tricky to get into (leaving is easy), and requires two people for some level of safety.

Anyway, that's the deal. If someone wants to sail, let me know. I am there working on the boat almost every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Please drop a PM or an email.

Thank-you very much

Michael

Thanks.

(hope this section of the forum is ok for this type of post)
Old 02-09-2008, 16:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Michael - My brother sails out of Marina Del Rey and is boatless. He works too much and sails too little. I have been encouraging him to find a sailing buddy.

He's completed keelboat training and is checked out on boats up to 36 feet. He is a decent sailor. His teen kids are into their "own" thing so he doesn't get out enough. I am sure he would be interested in 1 or 2 sails per month.

If it is OK I will send him your post. You can PM me your email address if you like and I can pass it along.

He is director of engineering for a company that makes networking equipment.

This is a sail we did last July off the coast of Santa Monica. As you can see he is a multi-tasker, being able to helm and eat as well as helm and crackberry...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peter 1s.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	4920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peter 2s.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	4921  

Old 02-09-2008, 17:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hi Michael - My brother sails out of Marina Del Rey and is boatless. He works too much and sails too little. I have been encouraging him to find a sailing buddy.

He's completed keelboat training and is checked out on boats up to 36 feet. He is a decent sailor. His teen kids are into their "own" thing so he doesn't get out enough. I am sure he would be interested in 1 or 2 sails per month.

If it is OK I will send him your post. You can PM me your email address if you like and I can pass it along.

He is director of engineering for a company that makes networking equipment.

This is a sail we did last July off the coast of Santa Monica. As you can see he is a multi-tasker, being able to helm and eat as well as helm and crackberry...
Thank-you, appreciate the response!

I will PM you my phone and email address.

Michael
Old 02-09-2008, 23:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bump! Do I actually have to go and join a yacht club??
Old 03-09-2008, 11:57   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Michael--

Try posting notices on the bulletin boards at Long Beach Yacht Club, Alamitos Bay Yacht Club, and Seal Beach YC all of which are a stones throw from your boat as well as at the Shoreline YC in the down-town marina. You might also check into the Single Sailors Assoc. of Long Beach which used to meet at the Golden Sails hotel. There is no shortage of young people without boats in the area that know how to sail and can help you learn the ropes and would love to have the opportunity. You're in a great area for learning tp sail. Long Beach Harbor has good winds and flat water behind the breakwater and lots of crooks and nanny's to poke into.

Frankly, you'd do well to take one of the ASA Sailing Courses that are available in the area. In my view the best programs are offered by the Colgate School of Sailing but there are others as well. Think about it!

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-09-2008, 22:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Michael - Thanks for the message - I have passed along your info to my brother along with a link to this thread. He says he will contact you soon.
Old 03-09-2008, 23:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Single Sailing Association in Long Beach? I am off to join! And to think Toto of all the time we wasted on match... and craigslist.... and plentyoffish!! I was at the flea market in front of WM couple of weeks ago and I almost did join the Seal Beach Yacht Club, it is so very close. But the thought of attending social functions with my hands jammed in my pocket and bright half smile half frown jammed on the face is enough to make any person dizzy. Alrighty. Off to the boat this weekend yet again, and if need be I will take her out solo. I cannot, nay!! WILL NOT, wait for distant emails or silly profiles or expensive clubs anymore!